Not Molting?

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
jaxonru

Not Molting?

Post by jaxonru » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:05 am

I’ve had one of my crabs since March of this year (I’m a major newbie) and he still hasn’t molted. Is this normal? Most things I’ve seen says they molt not long after you get them, but he still hasn’t at all. I’m just concerned that he’s not doing the best if he’s not molting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Not Molting?

Post by wodesorel » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:38 am

I had one wait 10 months before going down to molt for the first time. Most crabs want to right away, but some do their own thing and wait longer than what we think is okay!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
jaxonru

Post by jaxonru » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:23 am

wodesorel wrote:I had one wait 10 months before going down to molt for the first time. Most crabs want to right away, but some do their own thing and wait longer than what we think is okay!
Okay thank you! I was worried that I wasn’t doing something right.

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:17 am

jaxonru wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:23 am
Okay thank you! I was worried that I wasn’t doing something right.

Are all your conditions right? Depth and consistancy of substrate? Heat/humidity. Extra shells.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
jaxonru

Post by jaxonru » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:02 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote: Are all your conditions right? Depth and consistancy of substrate? Heat/humidity. Extra shells.
Yes they should be. 80% humidity, 75-80°F, 6 inches sand/calcium sand, and 3 extra shells for him to switch into if needed.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:18 pm

Calcium sand is NOT safe for crabs, it gets hard like cement when wet. You need play sand, which most of us mix with EE/ coco fiber. It helps hold moisture and keep the sub 'sand castle' consistency.
HCA recommends 3-5 extra shells per crab. There are correct and incorrect shells to buy, see the shells guide for more info.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
jaxonru

Post by jaxonru » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:49 pm

curlysister wrote:Calcium sand is NOT safe for crabs, it gets hard like cement when wet. You need play sand, which most of us mix with EE/ coco fiber. It helps hold moisture and keep the sub 'sand castle' consistency.
HCA recommends 3-5 extra shells per crab. There are correct and incorrect shells to buy, see the shells guide for more info.
I put very little of that calcium sand, so I’m glad I didn’t put a lot in it. I’m going to try to either get more shells today or soon, depending on if I can find any while I’m out today.

crabby33

Post by crabby33 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:27 pm

My crabs go 6-7 months in between molts.