Worried

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
crabbycasey

Worried

Post by crabbycasey » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:45 am

Quick background...bought a med PP at beach a month ago and she seems to be doing well, but hasn’t molted. She’s at least changed shells and I’ve seen her eating. Never seen her in either of her water bowls though anyway, I then added 2 more hermit crabs after I read up and realized they do well with company. Well both of those little guys lost their battle with PPDS. It was very hard on me as I fell in love with these little creatures quickly. Had a member on here help me a lot with both of their situations as I did everything I could to save them. Important note: my tank is set up with ideal conditions and HCA approved, haha. Back to the topic, I was hesitant after my 2 little guys passed, but still really wanted a friend for our little girl, Hermie (my son named her and we had no idea she was a girl, lol). I broke down and bought another of similar size (son named Flash bc he moves quick) from a pet store. Felt good about pet store purchase bc he came from good tank conditions while others were bought at beach store. Got him home and introductions went very well with lots of antenna movements. First few days/nights, Flash would dig all the way under and I wondered if he was trying to molt already...but I think he just likes to dig bc he was coming up every night. Well, now he is sleeping in Hermie’s hut with her every night and I now I never see him get up and move. It’s been several days now and I have no idea if he’s coming out and eating/water...he is laying there with his shell opening only buried and I don’t know what he’s doing. I was scared last night Hermie was eating him (his legs were hanging out), but it was the angle I was looking and she was just munching on some moss that was right next to him. I included a picture of how it looked. It’s hard to get to them in this particular hut so I could just get a finger in there to move him a little and he did move a leg enough to know he’s alive at least and his coloring seems ok. I guess I’m just paranoid after losing 2 back to back. Any ideas on what’s going on or what I can do to get Flash up and moving? Sorry this is so long...and thank you! Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pumpkincrab

Re: Worried

Post by Pumpkincrab » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:10 am

Personally I've never really been in this exact situation, but I've been in a close one. It's possible Flash is just de-stressing (not all crabs dig to de-stress.) Is he hanging out of his shell, or tucked up in it? Maybe you could get a small nightvision camera (such as a Wyzecam) to watch him. In the image you posted, it appears Hermie is standing next to Flash, and Flash is in a red painted shell. (Correct?)
Sadly painted shells are really bad for them, but you probably know that already. Sometimes there's nothing you can do about it other than provide nice natural shells (which I can see you have.)
Hi! Feel free to check out TheGourmetCrab here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheGourmetCra ... ugg_market
Owner of 4 purple pincher hermit crabs in a 55g tank.

Topic author
crabbycasey

Post by crabbycasey » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:26 am

Pumpkincrab wrote:Personally I've never really been in this exact situation, but I've been in a close one. It's possible Flash is just de-stressing (not all crabs dig to de-stress.) Is he hanging out of his shell, or tucked up in it? Maybe you could get a small nightvision camera (such as a Wyzecam) to watch him. In the image you posted, it appears Hermie is standing next to Flash, and Flash is in a red painted shell. (Correct?)
Sadly painted shells are really bad for them, but you probably know that already. Sometimes there's nothing you can do about it other than provide nice natural shells (which I can see you have.)
Thank you for the quick reply! You’re the one with the new girl, Pumpkin...and have Pine as well I think, I remember your story Image. Yes, Flash is in red shell and can’t wait for him to ditch it so I can get it out of there! I’ve even added 2 more shells to entice him since I posted this topic, lol...and have a 10 pack on the way in the mail too! I had yet to see him pay any attention to all the shells he has to choose from. I wouldn’t say he was “hanging” out of his shell, but his little legs and pincher were sticking out while he was on his side last night. This morning he has his shell opening only buried with the majority of the shell still sticking out. I thought he was probably de-stressing, but it was weird to see him so active first few days and then now this. Also, I’m a bit of a night owl and stay up late as well as get up to check on them sometimes in super early morning hours (1-3am) and I’m still not seeing him out and about. I’d LOVE to get a night vision camera, but I’ve already spent so much money making these guys crabitats the best I could...and these were unexpected costs as is from when we got our first one at the beach bc my sister said they were super easy...but after reading, I realized all that needed to be done and it added up. I’ll still check it out though (thanks for the name) and maybe ask my boyfriend for one for Xmas, lol! Image

Thank you for your insight! Open to all feedback and ideas!! Image

Pumpkincrab

Post by Pumpkincrab » Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:35 pm

No problem! I would say to watch him for a few days, give him time. He could still be stressed from the pet store. The first crab I got, Pine, was SUPER timid when I first got her. she basically would not leave her shell at ALL. Actually, she would have her little legs kinda out, just like Flash. for almost a week or two. Now she is the leader of the colony! she is not shy at all and likes to explore and hang out with the other crabs(even tipping over her decor and food dishes... sigh.) Just again give him time and I bet he will perk right up. Keep us updated and have a great day!I bet things will get better.
(Just wanted to add this to cheer you up- Pine and pumpkin are the ringleaders while Mango(who is half their size) tends to like to keep to herself. It's very cute to watch them all interact!)
Hi! Feel free to check out TheGourmetCrab here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheGourmetCra ... ugg_market

Topic author
crabbycasey

Post by crabbycasey » Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:06 pm

Pumpkincrab wrote:No problem! I would say to watch him for a few days, give him time. He could still be stressed from the pet store. The first crab I got, Pine, was SUPER timid when I first got her. she basically would not leave her shell at ALL. Actually, she would have her little legs kinda out, just like Flash. for almost a week or two. Now she is the leader of the colony! she is not shy at all and likes to explore and hang out with the other crabs(even tipping over her decor and food dishes... sigh.) Just again give him time and I bet he will perk right up. Keep us updated and have a great day!I bet things will get better.
(Just wanted to add this to cheer you up- Pine and pumpkin are the ringleaders while Mango(who is half their size) tends to like to keep to herself. It's very cute to watch them all interact!)
Awww, I love it! That does make me feel better, thank you Image. I’ll keep my eye on him for sure!

Topic author
crabbycasey

Post by crabbycasey » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:04 am

Update...checked on them at 2am and while Hermie was on her little moss pit chillin, Flash was in the exact same place and position he was in yesterday morning when I woke up. However, he must have moved at some point bc he is on the other side of the hut this morning. Hermie is hanging out super close to him, but I think I can see Flash’s little legs (he’s facing away from me). I’m wanting to add a little more water to my substrate to get a better sandcastle-like consistency...which will require taking everything out and putting them in spare tank for a little while. Do you think I should give him more time to de-stress first before I do this?

Pumpkincrab

Post by Pumpkincrab » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:04 pm

Yes. Give him time. I'm glad to see him moving, that's a really good sign. But give him time- picking him up, moving him back and forth will stress him even further. Wait until he is all better/almost all better, I would say.
Great news that he moved!

Topic author
crabbycasey

Post by crabbycasey » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:17 pm

Great, you’re confirming what my gut is telling me...it helps, thank you! So happy he’s moving around some, even if I don’t see it. Good news is that him and Hermie seem to enjoy just being next to each other . I love them!

Let me ask while I have you, how long does it take for them to discover their full crabitat? I’ve had a second level with extra shells and climbing sticks to get up there for a while and I’ve yet to see either of them up there! Also never seen them in their saltwater

Topic author
crabbycasey

Post by crabbycasey » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:19 pm

crabbycasey wrote:Great, you’re confirming what my gut is telling me...it helps, thank you! So happy he’s moving around some, even if I don’t see it. Good news is that him and Hermie seem to enjoy just being next to each other Image. I love them!

Let me ask while I have you, how long does it take for them to discover their full crabitat? I’ve had a second level with extra shells and climbing sticks to get up there for a while and I’ve yet to see either of them up there! Also never seen them in their saltwater Image

Do I have to add the “quote” for you to know I’ve replied to you? Still trying to navigate this site as best I can, lol. My reply to you is the message above ImageImage

Pumpkincrab

Post by Pumpkincrab » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:51 pm

Haha I think so! That's pretty funny. One thing I did to get my crabs interested in a new level is gently move them there.
For example, I got a reptile hammock and moved them onto it. A while later they were still on it. They all left but I came back shortly to find Pine climbing on it again. sometimes you need to introduce something to them to get them interested in it, but only if you feel comfortable doing so. I would recommend that strategy to you but definitely don't do so or even touch Flash, but maybe the other crabs! It also depends if you feel okay with moving the crabs. Usually I touch my crabs 1-2 times a week (never digging) but sometimes just general health checks, sometimes I need to move them to rearrange/move decor.
Edit: as I am writing this Pine decided to come over and say hi! Hello, Pine!

Pumpkincrab

Post by Pumpkincrab » Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:34 pm

Just remembered something, earlier you said you lost 2 crabs to PPDS. I just want to say I completely understand how that feels. One of my babygirls, Star, died about what, a month or two ago. It was a huge loss and I understand how you feel. I got her from a really crappy pet store. Please know you are not alone and I will be praying for Flash.
Sorry if this is sad just wanted to tell you.

Topic author
crabbycasey

Post by crabbycasey » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:11 pm

Pumpkincrab wrote:Just remembered something, earlier you said you lost 2 crabs to PPDS. I just want to say I completely understand how that feels. One of my babygirls, Star, died about what, a month or two ago. It was a huge loss and I understand how you feel. I got her from a really crappy pet store. Please know you are not alone and I will be praying for Flash.
Sorry if this is sad just wanted to tell you.
Hey Pine! Gonna see what happens if I put Hermie up there! And you are so sweet, thank you. It was tough, I felt helpless. One of the members here helped me quite a bit, but sadly they didn’t make it. Praying for Flash (and Hermie still) too...read the risk will significantly decrease with their first molt. Just think Star could be with my little Rocky and Peg Leg in Hermie heaven, haha. My son and I buried them both and talked about how they would have shells made of gold and diamonds now Image. I’ll post an update on Flash as well as Hermie with her hammock level!

Pumpkincrab

Post by Pumpkincrab » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:22 pm

Awesome! And yeah, I bet they are all in hermit crab heaven just hanging out and having fun with a trillion gallon tank, haha. I hope the new level introduction goes well, glad I could help.

Pumpkincrab

Post by Pumpkincrab » Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:36 pm

How is Flash? Also, how did the upper level introduction go?

Topic author
crabbycasey

Post by crabbycasey » Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:27 pm

Pumpkincrab wrote:How is Flash? Also, how did the upper level introduction go?
Flash is the same and I couldn’t tell if he had moved or not this morning...soooo, I broke down and got a Wyze Cam today, lol! So funny you reached out bc I was excited to tell you, haha! I have it all set up tonight to spy on my little guys and very anxious to see what they get into...they’re never out during the day. I’ve also added 6 more shells and fresh goodies so they have reasons to come out. I also added another heat pad to the back to get it warmer (we usually stayed around 75-77) and now it’s around 80, so perfect!

I didn’t introduce little Miss Hermie yet bc she seems to be sticking close to Flash lately and I didn’t want to disrupt them. Going to watch their night cam and then go from there!

Thank you so much for checking on us Image!