The Shell Removal Experiment

This is where you discuss shells for your hermit crabs. Not for selling/swapping shells, use Classified Ads for that.

Topic author
angelbear

Re: The Shell Removal Experiment

Post by angelbear » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:20 pm

Overmountain1 wrote:I can gladly do that; give me maybe a week to get everything and everyone moved around (except maybe molters or whatever!) I’m finally setting up my 72 gal bowfront- it’s only taken us a year....Image
I’d be happy to be a control group. I will have a good mixed shell-preference group to use I believe. I think this is important, and maybe we even find leaving one extra someplace in case of emergency and then the options come out every so often is a good way too.... idk! There are many different ways this could be tried and I think it is great to see what we can figure out. (With no crabs harmed in the process Obvs!) I’ll be in touch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That would be appreciative

Sent from my LML414DL using Tapatalk

Hi, I have been crabbing about 7 now, and these guys have put up alot with my growing pains.
Proud mama of 2 shell babies:
1 e, and 1pp

Links

Post by Links » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:40 pm

Might need to re-evaluate my crab clan sizes.

2 teeny PP (Cookie & Strawberry)
1 small PP (Crabby)
1 medium PP (Mr. Crabs)

Also need some camera(s) so I know what’s happening.
So far after adding shells last night they’ve all been moved around and Mr Crabs is still evaluating shells. Haven’t seen him switch but he’s still in his last shell from months ago.
And strawberry is in a burrow that’s Crabby made couple weeks ago. That makes me worry. I can see the top of strawberry’s shell and antenna poking up a bit. Hopefully not eating Crabby!

Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:03 pm

Oh goodness! Yeah let’s hope not!!
I walked in my crabby room earlier (temporary- I’m not that lucky yet!) and saw one E tunneling by the glass, so I started watching... and then looked down by the corner and see this- let’s all hope this is just a heathy exo from a fresh molt! Ah!! Image

Links

Post by Links » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:12 pm

Oh my! We all have issues Haha.
Well Mr crabs has changed into a larger tapestry that I just got.

Topic author
angelbear

Post by angelbear » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:29 pm

Just put my shells in. Only one of my guys is up tonight at this moment. More intrested in hanging around on his climbing net than the shells at the moment. No PPs in sight, but that is not unusual they come out a little later.
Hi, I have been crabbing about 7 now, and these guys have put up alot with my growing pains.
1 e, and 1pp

Topic author
angelbear

Post by angelbear » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:44 pm

There seemed to be more excitement as soon as my E noticed the shells. He booked it over grabbed one felt jt up and down for about 5 minutes or so then switched before digging through the pile to see if another migjt suit his fancy.
1 e, and 1pp

Topic author
angelbear

Post by angelbear » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:31 pm

angelbear wrote:There seemed to be more excitement as soon as my E noticed the shells. He booked it over grabbed one felt jt up and down for about 5 minutes or so then switched before digging through the pile to see if another migjt suit his fancy.
My E just changed shells for the 3rd time. Fron a green turbo to a second slightly bigger greeb turbo, to a brown conch type shell back to a green turbo

1 e, and 1pp

Links

Post by Links » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:56 pm

angelbear wrote:My E just changed shells for the 3rd time. Fron a green turbo to a second slightly bigger greeb turbo, to a brown conch type shell back to a green turbo

Lol... Mr Crabs (medium) switched out of the new tapestry (1&1/4in.) back to his old one.

My new crabs or one of them (strawberry) still in the hole Crabby made. Hopefully Crabby is down deeper.

I should’ve kept the new guys iso w shells n food n water for a while or until Crabby resurfaced. Live n learn

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:06 am

I'm in, interested to see if it will make a difference. My crabs rarely show interest in their shells, so it will be interesting to see if any differences develop.

Colony Size - around 6 to 8 crabs. A couple have the same size and shell, so a little hard for me to keep track at times.
Species - 1 C. perlatus, rest C. variabilis
Size - Perlatus large/jumbo, rest are small to med/large

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
angelbear

Post by angelbear » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:01 am

Links wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:56 pm
Lol... Mr Crabs (medium) switched out of the new tapestry (1&1/4in.) back to his old one.

My new crabs or one of them (strawberry) still in the hole Crabby made. Hopefully Crabby is down deeper.

I should’ve kept the new guys iso w shells n food n water for a while or until Crabby resurfaced. Live n Learn

I am sure he is fine. Most of them dig far from their original entries.
1 e, and 1pp

Topic author
angelbear

Post by angelbear » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:02 am

aussieJJDude wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:06 am
I'm in, interested to see if it will make a difference. My crabs rarely show interest in their shells, so it will be interesting to see if any differences develop.

Colony Size - around 6 to 8 crabs. A couple have the same size and shell, so a little hard for me to keep track at times.
Species - 1 C. perlatus, rest C. variabilis
Size - Perlatus large/jumbo, rest are small to med/large

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Cool welcome. I am intrested to see of you will have the same reaults. I will update the list in the morning.
1 e, and 1pp

Topic author
angelbear

Post by angelbear » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:07 am

w h a l e b o n e wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:05 pm
My only thing is I currently have only one crab. I'm worried that will mess with results but then again I guess it's a form of control for shell competition idk

So I'll do it if you think that'll be okay, it sounds fun! I'm just bad at committing lol I don't know if I'll remember to record it every week
I dont mind as long as you are intrested and keep some sort of log.
1 e, and 1pp

Links

Post by Links » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:53 am

I will be getting busy during summer but we will see.

Topic author
angelbear

Post by angelbear » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:26 pm

angelbear wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:31 pm
My E just changed shells for the 3rd time. Fron a green turbo to a second slightly bigger greeb turbo, to a brown conch type shell back to a green turbo

Speedy kept the third shell he switched into a slightly larger green turbo, almost identical to the first shell he was in. He seems to have a thing for green turbos I have noticed. Although showing interest in the brown conch was a first for him as well.
1 e, and 1pp

Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:44 pm

angelbear wrote:My E just changed shells for the 3rd time. Fron a green turbo to a second slightly bigger greeb turbo, to a brown conch type shell back to a green turbo

I wish your E would come teach mine how to change shells- they’re killlllking me!!! I still have 3 in their original little ‘buttcap’ while my other 2 have changed! And all 3 of @RiNiKy506’s have swapped too! Ugh. And they definitely have lots of options.
So their pickiness makes me even more interested in this shell experiment; like can we entice them to change a little more somehow? Idk. Love my Es but they need new shells on so I can tell them apart better! Image