Sorry, one more...

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
Menders

Sorry, one more...

Post by Menders » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:53 am

Smoothies! I received a Nutri Ninja for Christmas and so, I have been making smoothies every day. They include: mixed berries (strawberries, black berries, blue berries) , bananas, kale, Spanish, and a small amount of yogurt. Can I give some of the smoothie to the crabs? I am pretty sure everything is safe but the yogurt... not sire about the organic yogurt. The berries also say "with added vitamins" which is basically what is in
Cheerios (and other breakfast cereal . By the way, I had never given them Cheerios before, but we had some because my husband was making chex mix. I put a couple in an Spidey took off with one and huddled in the corner to eat it.

Nate the great

Re: Sorry, one more...

Post by Nate the great » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:25 am

Menders wrote:Smoothies! I received a Nutri Ninja for Christmas and so, I have been making smoothies every day. They include: mixed berries (strawberries, black berries, blue berries) , bananas, kale, Spanish, and a small amount of yogurt. Can I give some of the smoothie to the crabs? I am pretty sure everything is safe but the yogurt... not sire about the organic yogurt. The berries also say "with added vitamins" which is basically what is in
Cheerios (and other breakfast cereal . By the way, I had never given them Cheerios before, but we had some because my husband was making chex mix. I put a couple in an Spidey took off with one and huddled in the corner to eat it.
I would not offer the smoothie.

Do you know what pesticides were used on the fruit? Are you sure?
Currently the caretaker for:
Six hermies in 37G bow front, and two more in a ten-gallon tank.

I build websites, and blog about ebooks.

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:26 pm

Smoothies made with pesticide-free fruits/veggies and organic yogurt are safe to offer the crabs. As Nate said, I wouldn't offer the one you've described due to the "added vitamins" as well as the uncertainty about pesticides.
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

Topic author
Menders

Post by Menders » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:41 pm

I make the smoothies with fresh fruit. And it is all organic. The berries were organic frozen berries too. But this time I bought fresh berries and froze them myself. The added vitamins in the other worried me. So it contains fresh blackberries, blueberries, and strawberries that are organic and I personally have frozen. Organic Kale, bananas,oats and organic plain yogurt. Will that be ok? Those are all on the safe to eat list individually.

Menders
5 PPs, 1 cat exotic short hair, 2 children and a wonderful husband

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:51 pm

Since they are organic, then yes. I personally would add them. Do you know what exactly the added vitamins are comprised of?
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:38 am

Yogurt would be fine, I may be wrong but I've never heard of yogurt with pesticides or preservatives in it. According to the safe food thing, milk products are a good occasional treat and they benefit from the calcium. I'm not sure about the fruit part as I skimmed, but at least I could help as far as yogurt goes.
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Seasalt, & Elvis
Captive Bred PP = Randy
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

Topic author
Menders

Sorry, one more...

Post by Menders » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:33 pm

PinchersAndShells wrote:Yogurt would be fine, I may be wrong but I've never heard of yogurt with pesticides or preservatives in it. According to the safe food thing, milk products are a good occasional treat and they benefit from the calcium. I'm not sure about the fruit part as I skimmed, but at least I could help as far as yogurt goes.
Someone on the FB page asked about cheese once. Their husband had given the crab a piece of organic cheddar. I mentioned that long time crab owners occasionally feed their crabs organic, good quality, cheeses as a treat. And someone laid into me hard saying "No person with any long time crAb experience would feed their crab any type of cheese because it contains salt and you should never give them table salt in anything. The thing is though, very nice quality cheese os made using cheese salt. It is a totally different item.

Menders
5 PPs, 1 cat exotic short hair, 2 children and a wonderful husband

Just Jay

Post by Just Jay » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:18 am

I agree if the ingredients going into the smoothie are things youd feed your crabs anyway its perfectly safe. Also thats cheese salt is nothing like table salt and doesnt break down the same way. Cheese is probably recommend in moderation because of the way the calcium and protein breaks down when digested. Too much can cause issues but it moderation its great. Like most things tho.

My boyfriend's a chef and he made some soup from scratch that wasn't seasoned at all and all hermit safe ingredients.[it wasn't really a soup more a base or stock for something else he was cooking down for some fancy reason...not 100% sure honestly.] He let me steal a spoon for before making it "unsafe" and my hermits loved it. That was months ago and all are still well. I can only assume its the same.