Nutrional yeast

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
Sillysheep

Nutrional yeast

Post by Sillysheep » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:31 pm

I'm wondering if nutrional yeast is safe for hermit crabs. It's not on the safe list, somehow I feel like it would benefit them.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Nutrional yeast

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:33 pm

I would not give it to them...but, that is me.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Just Jay

Post by Just Jay » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:24 pm

But why wouldn't you?

Im going to ask my coworker tomorrow he knows a ton about yeast for both pet consumption and topical uses.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

DaJimmer

Post by DaJimmer » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:21 pm

Yeast is good to eat and drink heres to beer and bread. For as many dead carcasses and poop piles these crusty bugs rummage through i would think if its utilized properly yeast would be good for something.
Dont be surprised if you are digging in substrate one day and find a crabby brewery. :D
-Jimmer

Topic author
Sillysheep

Post by Sillysheep » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:30 am

DaJimmer wrote:Yeast is good to eat and drink heres to beer and bread. For as many dead carcasses and poop piles these crusty bugs rummage through i would think if its utilized properly yeast would be good for something.
Dont be surprised if you are digging in substrate one day and find a crabby brewery. :D
Thanks all... We'll see. I gave them tonight, their first pistachios also deactivated yeast. I did a search on the site search, nothing showed up, but when I Google nutritional yeast, it led me back to here, which was what I wanted... Crabbers teaching crabbers!!! Many had tried it and crabs liked it. Some of them ended up with a case of the hiccups though...Image

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:56 am

It's not harmful to them but it's not something they would ever come across in the wild to eat either, so I don't bother with it.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

DaJimmer

Post by DaJimmer » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:00 am

I need to stop ordering jeffy his own juniorbacachee perhaps. He never finishes it... :wink: :lol:
-Jimmer

ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:17 am

Sillysheep wrote:I'm wondering if nutrional yeast is safe for hermit crabs. It's not on the safe list, somehow I feel like it would benefit them.
Omg nutritional yum

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:09 pm

I've offered it to mine. A couple seemed to like it, though the response wasn't overwhelming.
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

Topic author
Sillysheep

Post by Sillysheep » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:25 pm

LadyJinglyJones wrote:I've offered it to mine. A couple seemed to like it, though the response wasn't overwhelming.
Hi ladyjinglyjones. These guys were not that crazy about it either, I bet it's gonna make delicious kale chips though.

ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:00 am

Sillysheep wrote:
LadyJinglyJones wrote:I've offered it to mine. A couple seemed to like it, though the response wasn't overwhelming.
Hi ladyjinglyjones. These guys were not that crazy about it either, I bet it's gonna make delicious kale chips though.

That is a delicious sounding idea

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:46 am

Just Jay wrote:But why wouldn't you?

Im going to ask my coworker tomorrow he knows a ton about yeast for both pet consumption and topical uses.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
I honestly don't know enough about it. If I don't know anything about it, I avoid it :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Fri May 03, 2019 10:40 pm

This is an old topic but was wondering about "nooch" for crabs and found this before making a new topic.

With the two of us being vegan we use it a lot when we cook. Off the top of my head we use it in tofu for scrambles, spaghetti, on pizza as a somewhat cheese substitute and when we make our own Seitan. It has a somewhat buttery cheese flavor with a bit of a bitter after taste.

Looking at the ingredients and a little Google searching I believe they are all crab safe. Nooch is mainly different B vitamins. All of the specific foods containing high amounts of each type are already on the safe list.

Niacin is B3 found in animal proteins, almonds, sunflower seeds and mackerel.

Pyridoxine Hydrochloride is B6 found in bananas, sardines, chicken, spinach and avocados.

Thiamine Hydrochloride is a form of B1 found in seeds, lean meat, cabbage and celery.

Riboflavin is B2 found in eggs, green veggies, milk and dairy, meat, mushrooms, and almonds

Foliac Acid is another B vitamin found in dried beans, peas, lentils, oranges, liver, asparagus, beets, brussel sprouts, and spinach.

B12 is mainly found beef, turkey, mackerel and crab meats. It's also found in nori and other seaweeds.

Ingredients

Nutritional Facts

One of our tofu scrambles for no reason other than it having nutritional yeast in it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Fri May 03, 2019 10:44 pm

My husband and I are vegan. We use nooch as much as possible. We love it. Our crabs devoured it! I have 10 crabs running wild as of right now. As plant based as we are, we are very cautious of what we feed our crabbies, and we feel good about giving them nooch. We all love, love, love nooch!
Also, my husband is the ultimate research-aholic! That's a wonderful thing! He goes 100% into everything!
Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Fri May 03, 2019 11:57 pm

Completely unrelated to whether it is safe for crabs....what does it taste like to humans?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers