Crabs not eating calcium

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
abesze

Crabs not eating calcium

Post by abesze » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:53 am

I have a cuttlebone and a sand dollar available at all times to my two pp's, but I haven't seen them really eating any or going near them. The explored the sand dollar a bit when I first put it in, but they have completely ignored the cuttlebone and don't really go near the sand dollar anymore. I'm worried that they're not getting enough calcium. Is there any way I can attract them to the cuttlebone/ sand dollar?

Hermiesguardian

Re: Crabs not eating calcium

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:56 am

They may be taking such timy bites you can't notice it. Is the cuttlebone whole? As long as you provide calcium they'll eat it when needed.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
abesze

Post by abesze » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:00 pm

Yeah the cuttlebone is whole, same with the sand dollar. I was hoping that would be the case, that they know when they need it

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:14 pm

I used to only provide cuttlebone for my crabs. Now I provide a small separate dish of powdered calcium mixed with crushed oyster shells too. My crabs seem to ignore the cuttlebone now but love the powder mix. My crab Beau is always sitting in it. I got the oyster shells from The Hermit Crab Patch and ZooMed Repti Calcium from Amazon.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

Topic author
abesze

Post by abesze » Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:22 am

That sounds great! I think I'll try that

Topic author
abesze

Post by abesze » Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:33 am

As for protein, is Laura scudder's plain peanut butter safe for hermit crabs? It says the only ingredient is peanuts, with 1% or less of salt, but it doesn't say what kind of salt. I'm assuming that the 1% is insignificant enough that it wouldn't harm my crabs right?

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:33 am

abesze wrote:That sounds great! I think I'll try that
Sounds good!Image

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:54 am

abesze wrote:As for protein, is Laura scudder's plain peanut butter safe for hermit crabs? It says the only ingredient is peanuts, with 1% or less of salt, but it doesn't say what kind of salt. I'm assuming that the 1% is insignificant enough that it wouldn't harm my crabs right?
You might want to get a mod or admin opinion on this, but as long as the pb is an occasion treat, I don't think the low salt content would do much harm. However, if you can find something that's all peanuts, it might be better. I just found Crazy Richard's pb at the grocery store, and it's 100% peanuts. I think I paid a little over $3 for it. Image

Nitegoddess

Post by Nitegoddess » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:07 am

I have a cuttlebone and use calcium powder but my cuttlebone started turning black so I threw it out. I am not sure if the humidity did that or what could have caused it? Any ideas on preventing this from happening again?

gunstreet.girl

Post by gunstreet.girl » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:40 am

abesze wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:53 am
I have a cuttlebone and a sand dollar available at all times to my two pp's, but I haven't seen them really eating any or going near them. The explored the sand dollar a bit when I first put it in, but they have completely ignored the cuttlebone and don't really go near the sand dollar anymore. I'm worried that they're not getting enough calcium. Is there any way I can attract them to the cuttlebone/ sand dollar?
My crabs have never been huge cuttlebone fans (unless ground up and included in their food dish/mixed into the foods I make for them). They do, however, seem to be big fans of eggshells, oyster shells, and mussels shells, so I scatter pieces of eggshell and crushed oyster and mussels shells all over the sub.