(Belatedly) Showing off my Upgrade ... and Seeking Suggesti

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: (Belatedly) Showing off my Upgrade ... and Seeking Sugg

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:08 pm

Great! Glad to hear!! :) Happy to help!! :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

ErikRasmussen

Post by ErikRasmussen » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:13 pm

I suppose when they get that big buckets aren't a terrible way to go lol. Does the wood in your pool effect the ammonia levels?

Topic author
jclee

Post by jclee » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:46 pm

ErikRasmussen wrote:I suppose when they get that big buckets aren't a terrible way to go lol. Does the wood in your pool effect the ammonia levels?
I've not checked ammonia levels recently, but the pool's been running for quite a while (months) with a sponge filter, so I would be surprised if it wasn't cycled already. I do regular water changes on it. I also have a few neocaridina shrimp living in the freshwater pool (culls from my blue shrimp breeding project), and they'd be dead if there were ammonia in the pool. The wood does release tannins, which I don't mind, but they are reduced with the water changes. Something like wood should not really produce ammonia. It actually increases surface area for beneficial bacteria to keep the cycle going.
You can see my critters here:
https://www.instagram.com/profjcscritters/

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:05 pm

Agree with Jclee, wood will not cause ammonia. Plants readily use ammonia, but once synthesized its converted into other compounds - like for DNA.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

ErikRasmussen

Post by ErikRasmussen » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:01 pm

learn :banana: something :banana: new :banana: every :banana: day

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:09 pm

jclee wrote:Over the summer, I upgraded my seven large crabs from a 50 gallon hexagonal tank to a 120.

Because my biggest is quite large ( photo with reference quarter is in the mix below), I wanted to have really nice, deep pools for him. I have three gallon buckets of fresh and saltwater, but their sides are not at all sloped.

As you will see in some of the photos, I started with egg crate tied to the bucket side as a climbing surface, because they were able to climb the egg crate in their old tank. I never saw anyone go in. I did put some crabs into the water, and I can verify that they can climb out on the egg crate, but the egg crate seems to slide around too much for them to climb in.

And then I adjusted the fish netting, so that they could use that to climb in and out, but I still have yet to see them do it.

When that seems to be failing I put in pieces of palm tree that were decorating the tank, but I still haven't seen anyone enter or leave the water on their own.

I have added a separate water bowl, just to make sure that they can drink, and I am seeking any further suggestions for how to modify the buckets so that they are more accessible.

I would rather not remove and replace them, as five of the seven crabs are molting right now, and replacing them would mean tearing down and rebuilding the tank.

Suggestions welcome.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
I assume that back rock wall is an aquarium backdrop? How does that work with the uth?
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
jclee

Post by jclee » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:41 pm

[/quote]

I assume that back rock wall is an aquarium backdrop? How does that work with the uth?[/quote]

I don't use a uth, but a heat lamp. The tank's lid is glass, and the sponge filters in the pools have done well at keeping humidity up, despite the lamp. (I also live in Southern California, where it's often warm enough that I don't need the lamp on, and I have a fan on a timer to circulate air and prevent molding from the high humidity.)

If you Google jungle Bob's aquarium backdrops, you can find the backdrop I used, if you're curious.

Topic author
jclee

Post by jclee » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:44 pm

I should also follow up and announce that I have gone back to smaller Tupperware Water Pools by now. After all that trouble, I wound up adopting a couple more crabs about a week ago, and they're much smaller than the rest, so I needed to make sure that they were accommodated.

AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:45 pm

I think Tupperwares as pools are a good idea.
One or hopefully two Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!

Topic author
jclee

Post by jclee » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:48 pm

AwesomeHermit wrote:I think Tupperwares as pools are a good idea.
Yes. But talk about perfect sand castle consistency! I really thought that removing the buckets and replacing them with smaller Tupperware would be far more laborious. The sand didn't shift at all, and it was a pretty easy swap that didn't disrupt the couple of molters that I still had under.Image

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:19 pm

jclee wrote:
I assume that back rock wall is an aquarium backdrop? How does that work with the uth?[/quote]

I don't use a uth, but a heat lamp. The tank's lid is glass, and the sponge filters in the pools have done well at keeping humidity up, despite the lamp. (I also live in Southern California, where it's often warm enough that I don't need the lamp on, and I have a fan on a timer to circulate air and prevent molding from the high humidity.)

If you Google jungle Bob's aquarium backdrops, you can find the backdrop I used, if you're curious.[/quote]

Thanks. I'll check it out.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:32 pm

jclee wrote:

If you Google jungle Bob's aquarium backdrops, you can find the backdrop I used, if you're curious.[/quote]

I have a wierd question. Have you noticed if the crabs think that background is real and try to climb it?

Topic author
jclee

Post by jclee » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:19 am

They claim it all the time. The added climbing surface was part of the point of getting it. They seem to enjoy it. ;)

Topic author
jclee

Post by jclee » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:21 am

jclee wrote:They claim it all the time. The added climbing surface was part of the point of getting it. They seem to enjoy it. ;)
*Climb it. Silly dictation.

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:40 am

jclee wrote:They claim it all the time. The added climbing surface was part of the point of getting it. They seem to enjoy it. ;)
Lol. I'm confused. I thought it was a background that looked 3D. Flat. A picture. Not actually 3D.