Setting up the crabitote

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
casssch

Setting up the crabitote

Post by casssch » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:24 pm

My husband and I have managed to drill holes and clean the new 30 gallon tote for the crabs. Now that I'm home today I get the pleasure of setting it up.
The plan and questions:
Substrate- I use dechlorinated salt water for this, correct?
100 pounds of quickrete play sand
3 bricks of eco earth
(More sand from the established tank if necessary to reach the needed depth.)

Second level for moss pit. Question - since the basket is kind of deep, do I need to wait until the moss arrives before attaching it? Or maybe use it for shells until I get moss? Maybe I need another basket now. :hlol:

I saw another post someone using a small mouthed glass bottle to insert a bubbler into for humidity. This is my plan to help humidity. I plan on half burying the bottle as well. I'm assuming I'll have to watch the water level in this closely.

Water - A shoebox sized tote to set the pools into. I have a small critter keeper for one, and a largeish tupperware dish for another.

I also bought some jute rope to make climbing things with, I just need to figure out how to do that.

Anything else I am forgetting? It's been 3 years since I've gone through the initial set-up and I feel like a dunce.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Setting up the crabitote

Post by wodesorel » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:20 pm

I do the same thing!! You go so long between having to that you can overlook a basic thing.

I like using drinking water strength saltwater for the initial wetdown as it helps keep mold and mildew at bay. You can use fresh if you prefer.

If the basket is textured and/or they can climb out it's better to mount it now while the tote is empty. Does not have to be filled.

Make sure to run it for at least a day with the heater to see where the temperature ends up before panicking. Sand takes a while to warm up and cool down!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
casssch

Re: Setting up the crabitote

Post by casssch » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:36 pm

It's currently 77 degrees in there with no heater, and 92% humidity. My original plan was to put them in the living room, but due to table issues, they are in the dining room/craft room, which is the warmest room in the house.