Live Plant Set Up

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
ErikRasmussen

Live Plant Set Up

Post by ErikRasmussen » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:50 pm

Last I checked folks weren't using live plants in their hermit crab tanks. I have only had mild success with moss, airplants and various sprouts. Has anyone tried a vivarium set up with crabs recently?

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Live Plant Set Up

Post by wodesorel » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:26 pm

The crabs are so destructive that it's often not worth the time and expense. It's not so much no one wants to, more like those of us into natural vivs all tried and failed.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
ErikRasmussen

Post by ErikRasmussen » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:29 pm

Yeah I figured. Just had to ask again in case something has changed since I checked last.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:02 pm

ErikRasmussen wrote:Yeah I figured. Just had to ask again in case something has changed since I checked last.
Im tempting to try in my new build, hoping to focus on plants that either are very hardy, fast growing or just placed in areas away from the majority of the crabs destruction...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Sweet Pea

Post by Sweet Pea » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:01 am

I have had a fair amount of success with small potted plants in the tank. Everything is considered potential food for the crabs and I’ve usually got a few plants waiting in the wings for those times when the tank plants are destroyed. Spider plants are probably the most hardy that I’ve grown and are easy to propagate. Baby tears are one that I continually replace because the crabs can’t keep their claws off them. I also drop seeds in the soil here and there So they can sprout. Millet, barley, sunflower, and wheat are the most common that I’ve used. They sprout and grow for a while and then are either eaten or die and the clean up crew takes care of it.

Topic author
ErikRasmussen

Post by ErikRasmussen » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:25 pm

Yeah I drop seeds too but I haven't tried any of those plants. I will have to try it.

BlookittiePC

Post by BlookittiePC » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:38 pm

Do you put the spider plants in a pot in the tank or directly in the sub? I have a few spider plants that are just sitting on our windowsill (like any other potted plant, I guess) that I would love to add. I just hope I have the space.
Two amazing PPs: Jarvis, who has been with me since 7/14/18, and NewCrab (still unnamed) since 1/11/21!
And a tortoiseshell kitty: Delia

I'm still pretty new to this and I'm trying to learn all I can!