Tank flooded (NOT emergency!)

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
kamiraptor

Tank flooded (NOT emergency!)

Post by kamiraptor » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:39 pm

Hi everyone,

I was doing a clean today, all my crabs are up so I went looking for buried shells, and on a whim went down to the bottom: aaaannnd it's flooded. Between 1.5 and 2 inches (in an average of 13-inch-deep substrate.)

It does not smell super gross - kind of musty - so I don't think I have a bacterial bloom. Should I replace the sand entirely anyway?

Then it seems like most people advise against a false bottom, but what's the opinion on gravel or growstones as a thin bottom layer? Or any other suggestion?

And, finally, if I do replace the sub... what do I do with all the old stuff?? XD

Thanks all!

amandapri82

Re: Tank flooded (NOT emergency!)

Post by amandapri82 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:02 pm

kamiraptor wrote:Hi everyone,

I was doing a clean today, all my crabs are up so I went looking for buried shells, and on a whim went down to the bottom: aaaannnd it's flooded. Between 1.5 and 2 inches (in an average of 13-inch-deep substrate.)

It does not smell super gross - kind of musty - so I don't think I have a bacterial bloom. Should I replace the sand entirely anyway?

Then it seems like most people advise against a false bottom, but what's the opinion on gravel or growstones as a thin bottom layer? Or any other suggestion?

And, finally, if I do replace the sub... what do I do with all the old stuff?? XD

Thanks all!
Following

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:03 pm

You could replace it with new substrate.

Some like to reuse it, particularly if it hasnt had the chance for bacteria to develop - drying it out in the oven for example would work - or adding a coconut fibre brick in dry and allowing that to absorb the excess moisture.

Back in the day when I had a flood - leaky pool - I used the paper towel method. You dig a hole to the bottom and then use paper towels to soak up the water. 'Rinse and repeat' until excess water has gone. I then baked half the substrate over my barbecue, drying it... after allowing it cool, added back to the tank and mixed it in.

As for the false bottom, thats up to you if you want to do so. Crabs have this ability of getting into places were they not meant to go, and if not set up correctly can result in dismantling the entire tank to get a stuck crab out. False bottoms while great for standing water, will not help if the substrate is saturated with water - bacterial blooms can still happen!

The important question is to ask how exactly did you get that much water in the tank, and what can you do to prevent it next time...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:14 pm

I would only toss what smells and keep what was dry up top. Unsalted sand we use for the garden, and anything salted gets used to fill holes in the yard.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
kamiraptor

Post by kamiraptor » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:58 am

Alrighty, thank you both very much! I've got my plan of action for today!

And may I just say, I really love this community! The knowledge here is a balm to my ongoing crabxiety. ^_^