Mason Jar Caves or Moss Pits

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Crabpickles

Mason Jar Caves or Moss Pits

Post by Crabpickles » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:04 pm

Hi all,

I'm new crab owner and while looking at fun things to do with our crabitat stumbled upon Mason jar caves. I can't find too much about them, so I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips and tricks they could share?

Additionally, if you have added moss to yours to make an underground moss pit of sorts - did you have any issues with mold? I love the idea of having a partially submerged moss pit as well as the one I have hanging up a little higher. My current crab (carnival rescue, siblings coming when he moves to his bigger tank this weekend) loves his moss.

Pictures are so appreciated!

Thank you all!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Mason Jar Caves or Moss Pits

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:42 pm

Hello :) I don't have a mason jar cave, but I have seen crabbers that do :) First of all, you want to make sure that your tank allows the space for one :)
Substrate should be at least 6" deep or three times the height of your crab. It should consist of playsand and ecoeart 5:1 mixture, moistened with dechlorinated marine saltwater or dechlorinated freshwater to make it sandcastle consistency. Then, you can put the mason jar cave on top of that. You never want to take away from the crabs molting space - as that is very important. The mason jar can be at the front, or on the side of the tank so that you can see them. Then, you build the substrate around the glass. The moss should not grow mold if your tank is at the proper temp and humidity levels. Sometimes newly established tanks do have the tendency to grow mold. IMO, tanks should have temp and humidity of at least 80/80. Good luck! :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:55 pm

We never used glass mason jars but we have used terracotta flower pots in a similar fashion. GotButterflies covered all of the basics you should follow very well. All I want to add is to keep your moss as far away from the heat source as possible. The moss won't dry out as quickly. I generally need to remoisten my moss every 5-7 days. My moss pit is at the front of the tank away from the heat. When I had the moss pit near the heat source I had to remoisten the moss every 2-3 days.
Help Improve Our Resources Section (weblinks)
http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 2&t=119315

Once we get more links the directors will update the resources in a few weeks. Thanks!

Scarletfire

Post by Scarletfire » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:25 pm

I've seen a petsmart do it by putting those small betta fish bowls on the side and stuffing it with moss.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk