Heat

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
carrieaurquhart

Heat

Post by carrieaurquhart » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:17 pm

I'm updating my 10 gallon to a 29 gallon tank, and I want to know what you use to heat the tank? In my current tank I have 1 heat pad that keeps the temp at about 80 on average. I feel like the sand is colder than the air though. I have the heat pad half into the sand like recommend. But the crabs are usually near the heat so I think I need to amp it up and I was thinking a heat lamp? Recommendations would be great! I have 2 small crabs, and the right depth of sand for them

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Heat

Post by curlysister » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:27 pm

Heat lamps will zap your humidity. Many of us prefer UTH's (the heat pads), on the sides or back of the tank. You could get a larger one, or get a second one. My room temp varies greatly, so I have four - one on each side and two on the back - that I can plug/ unplug as needed to keep the temp in a good range.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

DevilNDisguise

Post by DevilNDisguise » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:19 pm

Definitely agree with curlysister.

I'm going to be ditching heat lamps once switched to the 75g and using UTH instead. They just don't do the humidity any good. There can be a lot of trial and error when it comes to heating their habitats, so I think trying different sized UTH and possibly having several is a good idea.
1 Bearded Dragon, 1 Guinea Pig, 1 Mouse, 1 Lovebird, 1 Dog, 2 Cats, 2 Rabbits, 2 Frogs, 2 Cockatiels, 2 Budgies & Their 3 Babies, 3 Rats, 4 Hamsters, and Many Hermit Crabs!

Topic author
carrieaurquhart

Post by carrieaurquhart » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:44 pm

Awesome thanks! I'll get another pad!

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:18 pm

It's the air you want to heat. Not the substrate. They'll sometimes bury themselves to cool off.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

MauiMama

Post by MauiMama » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:48 pm

curlysister wrote:Heat lamps will zap your humidity. Many of us prefer UTH's (the heat pads), on the sides or back of the tank. You could get a larger one, or get a second one. My room temp varies greatly, so I have four - one on each side and two on the back - that I can plug/ unplug as needed to keep the temp in a good range.
Curly - with so many to plug in, do you use power strips/extension cords? I've read that you should ONLY plug heating pads directly into wall outlets.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

•°☆~♡~☆°• MauiMama•°☆~♡~☆°•

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:45 pm

Yes, I do use a power strip. I have never had a problem. What was the reason that was given for not using a power bar or extension cord?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

MauiMama

Post by MauiMama » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:53 pm

From Google and the boyfriend: Plug heaters directly into a wall outlet. Do not use an extension cord or power strip, which could short-circuit or overheat and result in a fire. Do not plug any other electrical devices into the same outlet as the heater

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:03 pm

Huh. I confess that I also plug my iron into the other plug (the one that the power bar isn't plugged into).
So we are supposed to only have one UTH plugged into an outlet, and nothing else?!
I wonder if a short-circuit has ever happened, or if it is just one of those warnings that is for a theoretical risk? I hope someone else weighs in on this discussion!

MauiMama

Post by MauiMama » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:07 pm

Me too! Doing more reading, it mostly seems to apply to SPACE heaters, but I can't really find a clear answer about UTHs/pads.

It does make sense that it could be a "cover their butt" kind of warning.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:12 am

Technically, a power strip shouldn't be used for more than a temporary application. I cant remember where I read it from, but they are meant to be used for short term use...

Obviously for reptile, fish and crab people

Not going to happen. Honestly I dont think you're likely to run into issues unless you overload a particular plug or a faulty unit (powerstrip). In most cases, I think you pay for what you get.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Kydra

Post by Kydra » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:52 am

I have a small, but pretty powerful room heater that just blows out hot air that I've used to heat up garage in winter (when need to do something with car and 30 degrees or less outside) that I moved to my room a few days ago until I finally got another UTH yesterday (Zoomed 30-40 gallon added actually gave me +4/5 degrees).

Anyway, I can clearly see why these would have a "do not use extension cord, only use one outlet, etc." Had it set to automatically turn on and off if temp dropped to 75 or lower it would kick on. When it did this, the actual lighting while in the bathroom next to room would dim slightly. My point... It obviously is using a lot of power/electricity to run.

As for UTHs, I have just added a second with both plugged in to the same outlet and read all of the "do nots" and didn't see that on there and considering the amount of electricity they use, I wouldn't expect it to say only 1 of the 2 outlets could be plugged in. I'll take another look at all the precautions again, but I'm extremely OCD about any fire hazard and have both being used atm.

Just my thoughts for now without doing any further research on this.

MauiMama

Post by MauiMama » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:00 am

That's awesome, thanks a lot! The boyfriend gets anxious about fire hazards (and rightfully so), so I just wanted to be fairly sure that I didn't need to worry about plugging in 2 UTHs into a strip.

I love this forum, y'all are fantastic. Best resource on the net! :D

Kydra

Post by Kydra » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:09 pm

Kydra wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:52 am
As for UTHs, I have just added a second with both plugged in to the same outlet and read all of the "do nots" and didn't see that on there and considering the amount of electricity they use, I wouldn't expect it to say only 1 of the 2 outlets could be plugged in. I'll take another look at all the precautions again, but I'm extremely OCD about any fire hazard and have both being used atm.

Just my thoughts for now without doing any further research on this.
Quoting myself here, but my newest "death smell" in room thread may be of some interest regarding this depending on how things go. Going to update that thread now.