Substrate issue

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
amhet88

Substrate issue

Post by amhet88 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:51 pm

I have an issue keeping my substrate at sandcastle consistency. I had just put up a second heater since that tank was starting to fall into the mid 70s, but now the substrate is drying out even though the heaters are above the substrate line. I've heard it's not good to spray or wet the sand since it may lead to flooding, but I'm not sure how to get it back to the right consistency. Any advice would be appreciated!

Hermiesguardian

Re: Substrate issue

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:48 pm

Sometimes the top inch or so dries out and that's fine. Do you know deep it's dry?
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:24 am

What is your humidity? What type of sub are you using?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:54 am

It does need to maintained with adding in some moisture to replace what evaporates over time. Every tank is different with how quickly that happens. Sealing the tank up nicely with a well fitting lid that is either solid or has been wrapped in plastic, goes a long way to holding in the humidity, which in turn keeps the substrate at sand castle consistency. Otherwise some light spraying or using a small cup to add water will be needed. Just dont go crazy and watch how much you're adding! It's when people do it daily or aren't being careful that flooding happens.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
amhet88

Post by amhet88 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:36 pm

Currently my humidity varies from 75-81 approx and my substrate is 5 parts sand to 1 part eco earth. I haven't dug too deep but the top 2-3 inches is dry, I'm assuming because of the added heat to the tank. I'll try to seal it better and carefully add some moisture, I was just concerned with the potential for flooding. Thanks!