Cholla wood

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Crabby in NJ

Cholla wood

Post by Crabby in NJ » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:14 am

Hey y’all!

I have been staring at some teddy bear cholla wood. It seems that if buying the right piece, the crabs should be able to crawl in and out of it.

Does anyone have this type of cholla wood?
Do your crabs go inside?
Do you think they prefer one type over the other? Lol I know, I know.

I have a piece of the regular size cholla wood in a “y” shape and I see them climb up and down that. I would love to add something else, if they will utilize it. The teddy bear version seems to be more expensive though, so if they won’t use it that way, I can just stick with the regular stuff. Thanks in advance!
:crabbigsmile:
Crabbing with my son now! My my, how things have changed!

gunstreet.girl

Re: Cholla wood

Post by gunstreet.girl » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:35 am

I’ve only ever had one crab small enough to climb inside a teddy bear cholla, and it did (for the brief period of time in which it could fit before it grew). Otherwise, the crabs just climb and nibble on it, as with other cholla.

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:45 pm

We have smaller crabs that love to hide in the teddy bear Cholla. They love climbing on it like a jungle gym too. We zip tie pieces together to make climbing structures. The crabs love it!

We order all our Cholla from the Cholla Queen on Etsy. Courtney harvests it in the desert around Las Vegas and has all different shapes and sizes. She also sells some great foods too. We use her shop for all the Cholla we purchase.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
Crabby in NJ

Post by Crabby in NJ » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:59 pm

Motörcrab wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:45 pm
We have smaller crabs that love to hide in the teddy bear Cholla. They love climbing on it like a jungle gym too. We zip tie pieces together to make climbing structures. The crabs love it!

We order all our Cholla from the Cholla Queen on Etsy. Courtney harvests it in the desert around Las Vegas and has all different shapes and sizes. She also sells some great foods too. We use her shop for all the Cholla we purchase.
Thanks. I’ve seen her stuff but I was able to find some big pieces on eBay for cheap and right now I’m on a serious budget. (I love supporting each other and will in the future tho I promise!)

I haven’t a creative bone in my body it seems and no matter what I think will look good, I always seem to mess it up so I was hoping the big pieces would help it look better while giving the crabbies something to utilize! I’ve seen pics uve posted and my oh my! U and ur wife do nice work! I look forward to seeing y’all names in hopes pics have been attached lol :hlol:

Topic author
Crabby in NJ

Post by Crabby in NJ » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:00 pm

gunstreet.girl wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:35 am
I’ve only ever had one crab small enough to climb inside a teddy bear cholla, and it did (for the brief period of time in which it could fit before it grew). Otherwise, the crabs just climb and nibble on it, as with other cholla.
Thanks for the feedback! I know 2 of mine definitely wouldn’t fit but the 2 smaller ones I haven’t seen in oh....3 weeks now? When they resurface I hope they crawl in and out! From my reading, PPs don’t swim, they stay hidden etc sooooo my pet sand should look good! Lol :crabbigsmile: