Flood??

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Links

Re: Flood??

Post by Links » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:37 pm

Dang you went all out and did it right! And maybe with a moisture meter you could see if it’s drying it out faster. But I guess you’d need a control. That be tough.
Again believe it or not relating it to golf. There’s a system called sub air. And it can blow or suck air from the main drain line. Blowing has been shown to cool the soil. Upper soil temps can get hot on greens so may be irrelevant in a crabitat. The sucking, closes a valve and creates a vacuum , allowing more water to drain out of the sand layer.
There’s also a gadget that is a hollow probe with 4 holes at the end of the probe. It looks like a tree injecter but it blows compressed air and when done in a puddle air bubbles come up all over. So I’d like to think your design does move air quite evenly.
Anyway, glad I helped with all this nonsense. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Crabalicious

Post by Crabalicious » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:35 am

It's been 5 weeks since my flood and the girl I put in ISO came up today!!! Healthy and hungry!
I moved her into the new tank as there is not much room in her iso and 2 of the other 3 crabs are molting.

A few things to note:

Periodically, check your substrate with a chopstick or knife down the side of your tanks! If I hadn't just read posts about it in these forums, I could have had 1 to 4 dead crabs! I got so lucky!!! Again, I had 2 bubblers going, lots of condensation from the temp changes in rooms oh and periodically I sprayed too...way overkill!

I was glad I took motocrab's advice on only an inch or 2 of eco earth in the temporary tank for the other 3 crabs. After moving in to the new 75 gallon (yay me!) two went down after a week to molt.

I was also glad after another iso tank, (when we panicked and moved a larger crab thinking she would hurt a molter...duh me again...oh who happens to be this same crab) I was glad I baked, bagged and saved the substrate in the basement. I warmed it up a little in oven before putting her in iso on flood night. She immediately dug in to go back to her molt(she was down for 3 weeks prior to flood, again I got lucky). I could hear her shell up against the glass, it's a 10 gallon. Oh and I put in our old crappy zoomed thermostat and humidity gauges, our tiny lame zoomed uth on back, put press and seal on screen lid through a towel over it and lifted lid every day to check and smell and left poop and crab lobster shells and water in case she came up. She didn't come up once.

So happy here and again thank you HCA!!

Check for floods!!!!!!

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:56 am

Awesome! I'm glad our advice help you and your crabs. Keeping hermit crabs is a lot to figure out at first to get their basic needs in order. Then it's a completely different set of rules if there is an issue. I still always try to read up and refresh myself with our care guides every few months. Just keep telling yourself "Hermit crabs are easily to care for! Hermit crabs are easy to care for!"
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
Crabalicious

Post by Crabalicious » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:45 am

:D :D
Hermit crabs are easy to care for....

Yes, just when you think, "I GOT THIS! 😄😄

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:18 am

I repeat a lot of things in my head, but that isn't one of them :lol: !
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺

Topic author
Crabalicious

Post by Crabalicious » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:15 pm

I understand

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:01 pm

Crabalicious wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:15 pm
I understand ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
Someone gets me! :lol:
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺