Crabs are not burying themselves at all

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
crabbycole

Crabs are not burying themselves at all

Post by crabbycole » Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:32 am

Since you've come to the emergency forum, we know you want a fast answer to your question. In order for us to figure out the problem as quickly as possible, we ask that you answer the following questions as best you can. Some of them may seem odd, but they're all designed to give us the information we need to give you a good solution for your problem. The things in the [ brackets ] are there to make this post easier to read once submitted. Thanks!

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
Eco Earth, Sand. 5-6 inches deep

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what? [/
Yes, i have a tank heater
4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?

Purified water and salt water

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
Variety of foods. Plankton, shell powder/casings, worms, pears, coconut. replaced every 2 days

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
Have had crabs for 3 months

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?
2/3 have molted in the past 3 weeks

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
Glass lid on top of 10 gallon tank

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
3 small/medium sized crabs

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
No

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
Just replaced the sand and boiled their supplies after 2 months
13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
No

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
No
15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.
Ever since i have changed from using Flukers all natural premium sand substrate mixture to eco earth and sand; my hermit crabs have not done any kind of digging. They are very active, but before making this changed they buried themselves quite often. A few days ago, one of my hermit crabs starting running around and climbing with no shell on also. I’m wondering if this is normal for them not to dig at all?

Last edited by crabbycole on Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pumpkincrab

Re: Crabs are not burying themselves at all

Post by Pumpkincrab » Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:14 am

Flashing is not okay, that's dangerous. There are forums on this page for what to do when a crab leaves it's shell- I would recommend looking at those. You need more shells. They are very important. Please do that soon. If you have 3 crabs you need around 9-12 shells.
Some of my crabs never dig unless they are ready to molt. It depends on the crab's personality, but also you may need another inch or two of substrate, maybe more.
It seems raising the heat would help too. My tank is 80 degrees, and all my crabs come out to have fun at night.
Please please get your shellless crab checked out. It's very important that they have a shell.
Hi! Feel free to check out TheGourmetCrab here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheGourmetCra ... ugg_market
Owner of 4 purple pincher hermit crabs in a 55g tank.

craboloading

Re: Crabs are not burying themselves at all

Post by craboloading » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:58 pm

Hello, I am giving my responses/reactions to your post in bold. :)
crabbycole wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:32 am
1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
Eco Earth, Sand. 5-6 inches deep
Substrate depth is very important. 6 inches is the minimum recommendation, would definitely advise taking an accurate measure of this to ensure they have proper depths to be burrowing.

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
You did not answer this question, this could be pretty vital in regards to your crabs non-activity. Do you have a gauge? What is the temperature and humidity in your enclosure?

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what? [/
Yes, i have a tank heater
This is good! Where is it located? Lots of heaters are advertised at going under the tank, but for crabs you want to make sure they are mounted on the side. This could effect the temperature within your sub making them not want to dig.

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
Purified water and salt water

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
Variety of foods. Plankton, shell powder/casings, worms, pears, coconut. replaced every 2 days
I know you said 'variety' - I would just stress making sure you are providing more than just plankton as their main protein source. Crabs like variety!

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
Have had crabs for 3 months

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?
2/3 have molted in the past 3 weeks

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
Glass lid on top of 10 gallon tank

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
3 small/medium sized crabs

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?
Another poster has already mentioned this, but you definitely need more shells available than this. I believe usually 4 spare shells per crab is the standard. You want to make sure to have a variety of sizes for them ranging from a tad smaller to a tad larger than their current shell opening measurements. Speaking strictly of my own set up, I have 3 crabs & currently have 13 spare shells in that 'tat for them. Lack of proper shells can lead to stress and violence between crabs.

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
No

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
Just replaced the sand and boiled their supplies after 2 months
People have differing views on deep cleaning, but even if you are 'pro' deep cleans - they certainly do not need to be done every 2 months. I have been using the same sub for nearly 2 years in my 'tat. I do occassionally pull all the decorations out and give them a good rinse, but only in the very rare circumstance where all 3 crabs are above ground.

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
No
14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
No

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.
Ever since i have changed from using Flukers all natural premium sand substrate mixture to eco earth and sand; my hermit crabs have not done any kind of digging. They are very active, but before making this changed they buried themselves quite often. A few days ago, one of my hermit crabs starting running around and climbing with no shell on also. I’m wondering if this is normal for them not to dig at all?
A switch to EE should not cause any huge change in behavior for your crabs. Especially if it is mixed with the same sub you had been using previously. I am inclined to think you may have a general 'tat set up issue that is resulting in your crabs going shell-less and being less active. Going without a shell is never a good sign and can be indicative of a very stressed and/or weak crab.
3 PPs: Beacon the Two Pound Crab of Light and Purity & Scuttles the Shadow Crab of Darkness and Desparity ~ 2/10/19 and Felicity Crab-19 ~ 5/24/20
1 Orange Cat: Chloe Hannah ~ 4/2015