Crab not moving, no smell.

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
pearl29mi

Crab not moving, no smell.

Post by pearl29mi » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:45 am

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
A mixture of sand and eco earth about 6 inches deep

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
One of the gauges in the shell pit and reads almost 80 degrees.

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
Yes, A 6 x 35 ultratherm heat pad

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
Prime for freshwater (I believe I put in to many drops then required on accident last time) and Instant Ocean for saltwater (1/2 a cup for a gallon)

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
I feed some foods from THCP and HugsForHermits on eBay. It just depends for the replacement.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
I've had her for maybe more than half a year

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?
Yes, she has molted. Can't remember how long ago but it wasn't to long. She came up very pale.

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing? I have a 40 gallon breeder that has plastic wrap on the top.

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
There are 6 crabs currently in the tank, 2 large, 1 medium, 2 small, and 1 tiny.

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?
There is 18 shells I believe, most of which are turbo. I will be boiling more to put in there soon.

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
No

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
I don't often clean the tank besides making the moss pit fluffier and changing the water (I don't change the water as much as I should)

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
No

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
Well besides transferring them to the 40 gal, I recently got a tiny crab and a Mopani wood piece.

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?
no

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.
I noticed yesterday night that she was sitting next to the Mopani wood so this morning when I looked she was in the same spot. I picked her up and no movement came, she was not tucked into her shell. I smelt her and no off smell came off, I'm presuming a surface molt maybe? What do I do?
6 Caribbean Hermies~ Liberty|Spike|Freddie|Pinchers|Pip|

AutumnHermie

Re: Crab not moving, no smell.

Post by AutumnHermie » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:10 am

Sounds like a surface molt. I would ISO her either in another tank or you could use the bottle method--- cut the bottom half off a two liter bottle and you can place it around him to ISO him from other crabs. Best of luck for your crabbie :)
Owner of 12 PP's , 4 Blue's, and 2 straw's.

Topic author
pearl29mi

Post by pearl29mi » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:16 pm

Ok so I just do that and that's it? Am I supposed to put something in with her?

Topic author
pearl29mi

Post by pearl29mi » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:21 pm

Do they smell like dead fish when they surface molt? I picked her up and smelt her but I did feel her move I believe.

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:48 pm

pearl29mi wrote:Do they smell like dead fish when they surface molt? I picked her up and smelt her but I did feel her move I believe.
No they do not. The dead fish smell is the death smell. The shifting was her body shifting in the shell since she has passed and not holding on any longer. I'm sorry for your loss.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above