Bubbles

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

kieagcarm

Re: Bubbles?!?

Post by kieagcarm » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:59 pm

I found two articles/forum answers on Google search that seemed helpful, the one above is the first, below the second

Sent from my C5215 using Tapatalk
"Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions."

kieagcarm

Re: Bubbles?!?

Post by kieagcarm » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:03 pm

I was disappointed to find that there is very little mention of the bubbling, but the few things I found (advice to others who had witnessed this with their crabs and were alarmed and were seeking help) mentioned clear bubbles can mean he is too hot, too dry (neither of those true in our cage, which is about 73 degrees and 70-80% humidity most of the time), or too stressed. A brownish color to the bubbles, or a brownish leaking fluid can mean injury, and there is a good chance your hermie won't recover.

Sent from my C5215 using Tapatalk
"Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions."

Rawrgeous

Re: Bubbles

Post by Rawrgeous » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:38 am

I went ahead and merged these topics since they are about the same crab. Keeping posts together can help keep the situation information together and make it easier to "tackle", per say.

I'm super sorry to hear about your crab, and I'll be honest had not heard of such of thing until searching the archives. Keep in mind the following info is from said archived posts, so it may be outdated. There were several speculations on what reason they do this, but I think it was agreed there could be a variety of reasons the crabs blow the bubbles, and that it is not a good sign. There where mentions that the white sudsy bubbles like yours a crab sometimes recovered form, but brown ones they never recovered from. That being said I gathered more did pass than not. It seems some of the reasons listed of thought causation where gill damage, overheating/ dehydration, extreme stress, or a last ditch effort in shell fights? I'm not sure how any of those might fit into your case, but they are some things to speculate.
What brand of saltwater do you use out of curiosity, as I didn't see it mentioned in your template. Also just make sure the shells are pp's preferred type(turbos) and are appropriate sizes. (3-4 each) Good luck! I would try to offer the guy good conditions and just make sure he's as comfortable as possible. :(

Topic author
MadiCrab

Post by MadiCrab » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:09 am

Rawrgeous wrote:I went ahead and merged these topics since they are about the same crab. Keeping posts together can help keep the situation information together and make it easier to "tackle", per say.

I'm super sorry to hear about your crab, and I'll be honest had not heard of such of thing until searching the archives. Keep in mind the following info is from said archived posts, so it may be outdated. There were several speculations on what reason they do this, but I think it was agreed there could be a variety of reasons the crabs blow the bubbles, and that it is not a good sign. There where mentions that the white sudsy bubbles like yours a crab sometimes recovered form, but brown ones they never recovered from. That being said I gathered more did pass than not. It seems some of the reasons listed of thought causation where gill damage, overheating/ dehydration, extreme stress, or a last ditch effort in shell fights? I'm not sure how any of those might fit into your case, but they are some things to speculate.
What brand of saltwater do you use out of curiosity, as I didn't see it mentioned in your template. Also just make sure the shells are pp's preferred type(turbos) and are appropriate sizes. (3-4 each) Good luck! I would try to offer the guy good conditions and just make sure he's as comfortable as possible. :(

I buy my salt from the local pet store that he uses for his fish in the store. He said its similar to the 'name brand'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
MadiCrab

Post by MadiCrab » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:11 am

Thanks for the advise

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:11 am

As long as it's designed for marine fish tanks it's fine. It doesn't have to be name brand. It just needs to be synthetic ocean water.

mool

Post by mool » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:53 am

I don't have personal experience with this particular phenomenon, but from what I've read; death usually follows regardless of whether or not the bubbles are clear or brown. I think it's a last-ditch effort of lubricate the gills.

I'm sorry.

KrabbyKris

Post by KrabbyKris » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:06 am

Heres some info I found on bubbling/frothing:

Brown Bubbles: These are the bad ones (http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/pa ... bling.html)
The ones in your photos seem white?

Clear Bubbles:
From a thread in 2007.
annopia wrote:I've had a ruggie bubble clear fluid before, and I agree that it may be the result of a humidity problem. Also, it could be a sign of stress. I would definatly try to get your humidity up-while not as dangerous as brown bubbling, clear bubbles are still an indication that something is wrong and you need to examine your tank setting. for my one ruggie, it was a result of being in a tank with 40% humidity at the petstore.(http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... hp?t=56270)

Maybe this wasn't something you did maybe its from the treatment prior to your adoption. It sounds like you haven't had him that long if he hasn't molted yet with you.

Here is some more info I found online:
(http://en.allexperts.com/q/Hermit-Crabs-3469/Help-hermie-blowing-bubbles.htm) wrote: If they are clear like bubbles it could be few things, either he is frothing the shell water in his shell helping clean it or frothing it as a defensive move, since they will often push water out of their shells when picked up. Or it could be a male hermit crab and the bubbles could be his Spermatophore, because there has been observations of mating land hermit crabs before and clear to whitish foam/bubbles were present. (I have personally witness this as well here in our rescue).............Depending on the color of the actual bubbles, clear/whitish you have nothing to worry about too much and the brownish you need to act on.
Anyways, I hope this info helps some. Best of luck my friend! I hope he pulls through!!!
:crabblush:
Life is good.

Topic author
MadiCrab

Post by MadiCrab » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:14 am

Krist0ph wrote:Heres some info I found on bubbling/frothing:

Brown Bubbles: These are the bad ones (http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/pa ... bling.html)
The ones in your photos seem white?

Clear Bubbles:
From a thread in 2007.
annopia wrote:I've had a ruggie bubble clear fluid before, and I agree that it may be the result of a humidity problem. Also, it could be a sign of stress. I would definatly try to get your humidity up-while not as dangerous as brown bubbling, clear bubbles are still an indication that something is wrong and you need to examine your tank setting. for my one ruggie, it was a result of being in a tank with 40% humidity at the petstore.(http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... hp?t=56270)

Maybe this wasn't something you did maybe its from the treatment prior to your adoption. It sounds like you haven't had him that long if he hasn't molted yet with you.

Here is some more info I found online:
(http://en.allexperts.com/q/Hermit-Crabs-3469/Help-hermie-blowing-bubbles.htm) wrote: If they are clear like bubbles it could be few things, either he is frothing the shell water in his shell helping clean it or frothing it as a defensive move, since they will often push water out of their shells when picked up. Or it could be a male hermit crab and the bubbles could be his Spermatophore, because there has been observations of mating land hermit crabs before and clear to whitish foam/bubbles were present. (I have personally witness this as well here in our rescue).............Depending on the color of the actual bubbles, clear/whitish you have nothing to worry about too much and the brownish you need to act on.
Anyways, I hope this info helps some. Best of luck my friend! I hope he pulls through!!!
:crabblush:
Thank you. He moved a claw this morning and he still has bubbles on him. He seems really wet. Like he took a bath but he's been in the same spot. Think about his behavior lately. Slowed down & He buried down couple times not completely. Idk Guess I'll leave him be. Idk if I should ISO. I would think that would stress him more.

Topic author
MadiCrab

Post by MadiCrab » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:41 pm

Now the big one (Eugene) is on top of him (Bubbles). Idk what he's doing. Let Nature take its course????

Topic author
MadiCrab

Post by MadiCrab » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:45 pm

I just took a good peak at him . Idk what to do at this point. Leave him alone? Bubbles are gone but a white like residue is there in some places. I don't see eyes at this time.

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:03 pm

Wondering how ur guy is doing MadiCrab. My tapatalk for some reason would not let me post anything on ur topic after my last post. Had to delete and then re-download tapatalk.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:21 pm

How is your crab doing?

Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
MadiCrab

Post by MadiCrab » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:43 pm

GotButterflies wrote:How is your crab doing?

Sorry people I didn't see this but I've been meaning to post he's doing fine and went down 2 wks ago! #fingerscrossed. #1stmoltforme

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:49 am

Good! Fingers crossed he makes it through this! Perhaps there was some gill damage from his previous conditions...Hopefully he will molt and be on the way to recovery!