New Crab Owner here! Crabs went underground

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
Xenpurgisnachtt

New Crab Owner here! Crabs went underground

Post by Xenpurgisnachtt » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:39 am

Hi! I'm new to this site and new to crab owning, I've recentelly gotten 3 purple pinchers ( 2 medium I presume, 1 large ) as soon I placed them in the tank, after some walking around, one of them quickly burrowed and the other 2 followed when I was asleep- When I woke up I was presented with some knocked over decor I placed in my 20 gallon tank. I've already watched plenty of proper care videos and know whenever they burrow, it's typically either stress or molting, which can take weeks or moments, but I highly doubt it is molting and more so the former, so this is my question-

How long does it take for crabs to ''de-stress?''

Hermiesguardian

Re: New Crab Owner here! Crabs went underground

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:38 am

Xenpurgisnachtt wrote:Hi! I'm new to this site and new to crab owning, I've recentelly gotten 3 purple pinchers ( 2 medium I presume, 1 large ) as soon I placed them in the tank, after some walking around, one of them quickly burrowed and the other 2 followed when I was asleep- When I woke up I was presented with some knocked over decor I placed in my 20 gallon tank. I've already watched plenty of proper care videos and know whenever they burrow, it's typically either stress or molting, which can take weeks or moments, but I highly doubt it is molting and more so the former, so this is my question-

How long does it take for crabs to ''de-stress?''
There's really no telling. It's probably different for each one. And if they have put off molting due to previous conditions, it's possible 1 or more are molting. As you know, don't dig. Just keep up their care. Food, water, heat/humidity.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

HHIhermies1004

Post by HHIhermies1004 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:39 pm

Hi happy crabbing. I know how you feel, I’ve recently have just stumbled into hermit crab care. I have 4 and and when I first got two they did the exact same behavior as you described and stayed down for about a week. My other two didn’t do the whole destress thing and just hang out and chill. They are amazing animals and have their own little personalities as you’ll find out. They’ll come back up when they’re ready. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi, My name is Kristine
Hermit Crab Family includes 7 Hermies
JACK, BARBOSA, WILL, and DAVY JONES are E's.
3 PP's - Sao Feng, Tia Dama, and Elizabeth swan.

Topic author
Xenpurgisnachtt

Post by Xenpurgisnachtt » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:44 pm

Quite possible, with the temporary cage I had until I gotten my proper tank, one of the smaller ones ( the female I believe who when tried to be handled was quite agitated, on the borders of the cage it kept making long streaks of pushed up dirt. )

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:27 pm

First off, welcome.

Secondly, the duration really depends on the crab. For me personally, its around a couple of weeks to a month before they come back up. Some have stayed under longer, others stayed under for less than a couple days.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
Xenpurgisnachtt

Post by Xenpurgisnachtt » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:30 pm

Update, First one came out ( the big one ) after roughly 10+ish hours? Went straight to the food bowl.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:27 pm

Xenpurgisnachtt wrote:Update, First one came out ( the big one ) after roughly 10+ish hours? Went straight to the food bowl.
Congrats, probably wants a snack - and then go back under, knowing the things.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

HHIhermies1004

Post by HHIhermies1004 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:12 am

Xenpurgisnachtt wrote:Update, First one came out ( the big one ) after roughly 10+ish hours? Went straight to the food bowl.

A dine and dig!! 2 of mine do that nightly they’ll dig in for most of the afternoon then as soon as the tank lights go off they come out and chow down. I can hear the tapping on the glass. Keeping on doing what you are sounds like a good start!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi, My name is Kristine
Hermit Crab Family includes 7 Hermies
JACK, BARBOSA, WILL, and DAVY JONES are E's.
3 PP's - Sao Feng, Tia Dama, and Elizabeth swan.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:12 am

I just wanted to say HI! Welcome to the HCA! :butterfly::

Best advice ever - be patient - and whatever you do, don't dig. :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com