Crabs are cold-how to troubleshoot?

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
Kleinerhejhog

Crabs are cold-how to troubleshoot?

Post by Kleinerhejhog » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:46 pm

Everything was fine on Friday, but today the crabitat is room temperature-between 70 and 75. I have an insulated ultratherm on the back controlled by a zilla thermostat. What do I do to figure out where the problem is, or which piece of equipment has failed?

fandt94

Re: Crabs are cold-how to troubleshoot?

Post by fandt94 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:19 pm

Have you felt the heater itself? I would check to see if the thermostat is working properly. What are your temps usually?
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

Topic author
Kleinerhejhog

Post by Kleinerhejhog » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:54 pm

Usually between 80 and 85. The back of the tank is cold.

fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:59 pm

Kleinerhejhog wrote:Usually between 80 and 85. The back of the tank is cold.

I’d definitely unplug it from the thermostat and plug it directly into an outlet and see if it starts to warm up. Then you will know if it’s the thermostat that failed or the UTH. In the meantime if you have a human heating pad you can use that and warm up some towels in the dryer and put on the tank.
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

Topic author
Kleinerhejhog

Post by Kleinerhejhog » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:45 pm

Yep, that’s what my panicked brain couldn’t think of. The heater is fine, have to get a new thermostat, and in the meantime watch the temp constantly. Thanks!

elly_bananas

Post by elly_bananas » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:14 pm

Question about the thermostat... when using one, does the uth go higher than it would without one?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
She thought she could, so she did!

fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:47 pm

elly_bananas wrote:Question about the thermostat... when using one, does the uth go higher than it would without one?

That’s a good question! I don’t know. I got the thermostat to keep it at a steady 82 because sometimes it was going up to 88. Not that that was too hot but I wasn’t sure how hot it *could* get so I wanted the stat to just keep it more steady and also to conserve energy.

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:38 pm

elly_bananas wrote:Question about the thermostat... when using one, does the uth go higher than it would without one?

A thermostat turns the UTH off when it reaches a certain temperature and turns it back on when it drops below said temperature.

If your heater can only heat to 75, setting the thermostat to 85 will only heat the tank to 75.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elly_bananas

Post by elly_bananas » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:51 pm

Thank you.
JoeHermits wrote:

A thermostat turns the UTH off when it reaches a certain temperature and turns it back on when it drops below said temperature.

If your heater can only heat to 75, setting the thermostat to 85 will only heat the tank to 75.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
She thought she could, so she did!