MY HALLOWEEN CRAB IS BUBBLING AND HER LEG FELL OFF

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

gunstreet.girl

Re: MY HALLOWEEN CRAB IS BUBBLING AND HER LEG FELL OFF

Post by gunstreet.girl » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:46 pm

FinalxFantasy wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:36 pm
omg thank u so much. You're sure i can feed overripe fruit to them? Could the hermit crabs eat it too though?
Absolutely. Think about a scavenging crab out in the wild - the fruit they’re most likely to be able to readily access is the fruit that’s become overripe and fallen to the ground. My hermit crabs actually prefer overripe fruit to underripe or perfectly ripe fruit (as does my gecko) - they’ll often turn up their “noses” at a perfectly ripened strawberry fresh from the garden, in favour of yesterday’s strawberry that’s sat in the heat of the tank getting gooey and mushy. when fruit ripens, starch is converted to sugar. The more ripe the fruit, the sweeter it is. Hermit crabs are notorious sweet-toothed little dudes :)

DevilNDisguise

Post by DevilNDisguise » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:08 pm

FinalxFantasy wrote:
omg thank u so much. You're sure i can feed overripe fruit to them? Could the hermit crabs eat it too though?
I wouldn't see why not, honestly. Hermit crabs eat all kinds of rotten fruit and deceased animals in the wild, so I can't imagine it would be unsafe for them.

Of course, I personally wouldn't give rotten things to them all the time, but I can imagine overripe things are still fine.

For the other crabs, I couldn't say, as I don't have experience with them.
1 Bearded Dragon, 1 Guinea Pig, 1 Mouse, 1 Lovebird, 1 Dog, 2 Cats, 2 Rabbits, 2 Frogs, 2 Cockatiels, 2 Budgies & Their 3 Babies, 3 Rats, 4 Hamsters, and Many Hermit Crabs!

scuttlecrusty22

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:09 am

FinalxFantasy wrote:
Just be aware that gnats and flies are more likely to come hither if the food is already beginning to decay. But otherwise it should be just fine :thumbsup::
(Scuttle, Crusty) crabs, (Buster,Ruby) chihuahuas, (Bugs) goat, (Echo) betta fish (Skittles,Sky) parakeets

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life"

Topic author
Chocobo

Post by Chocobo » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:53 pm

My crab has been acting more alive for the past few days but I had to take out the third leg she's lost today. I don't understand why she's still losing legs
my grasshopper is going to be a mom 💕 https://streamable.com/n8zpap

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:52 am

Dropping limbs usually suggest they are weak and stressed. Try to cut down on stressors, or even separating the crabs? As long as tank conditions are good, I'll just monitor and hope that she pulls through.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

gunstreet.girl

Post by gunstreet.girl » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:52 am

FinalxFantasy wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:53 pm
My crab has been acting more alive for the past few days but I had to take out the third leg she's lost today. I don't understand why she's still losing legs
Have you been able to check the temp/humidity, correct those if necessary, and correct the other issues with your set-up?

Topic author
Chocobo

Post by Chocobo » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:50 pm

gunstreet.girl wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:52 am
Have you been able to check the temp/humidity, correct those if necessary, and correct the other issues with your set-up?
I’m still working on a bigger tank and something for humidity besides just spraying the tank with water, which doesn’t seem to give them moisture for very long. I don’t have time to save up anymore. I’m going on $5 a week now, if even that much. I’m going to give my dad all of my money and beg him to help me, because he knows my pets life depends on it

gunstreet.girl

Post by gunstreet.girl » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:02 pm

FinalxFantasy wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:50 pm
I’m still working on a bigger tank and something for humidity besides just spraying the tank with water, which doesn’t seem to give them moisture for very long. I don’t have time to save up anymore. I’m going on $5 a week now, if even that much. I’m going to give my dad all of my money and beg him to help me, because he knows my pets life depends on it
I was asking because you asked why your crab was still dropping limbs. if your crab is dropping limbs due to environmental stress, which seems to be the general hypothesis, then its health/condition isn’t likely to improve unless/until environmental conditions are improved.

Topic author
Chocobo

Post by Chocobo » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:42 pm

gunstreet.girl wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:02 pm
I was asking because you asked why your crab was still dropping limbs. if your crab is dropping limbs due to environmental stress, which seems to be the general hypothesis, then its health/condition isn’t likely to improve unless/until environmental conditions are improved.
I feel very terrible about this situation and I isolated her if it makes any difference, because I’m worried she might be stressed by the other crab. I don’t know what my dad is planning on doing, but I only have a few bucks and I’m spending it on water for the crabs ASAP

Topic author
Chocobo

Post by Chocobo » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:49 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:52 am
Dropping limbs usually suggest they are weak and stressed. Try to cut down on stressors, or even separating the crabs? As long as tank conditions are good, I'll just monitor and hope that she pulls through.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Yes I had her separated a few days ago

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:11 pm

Maybe she needs to molt and does not have enough sub to do that. That would be stressful.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers