Questions from a newbie

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
MsWorld

Questions from a newbie

Post by MsWorld » Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:22 pm

Hi, I recently got 3 PP's and have just moved them into a 20g tat with 4 inches of EE, I ran short, I didn't purchase enough EE. Which I will make sure I get more and have enough for when I clean out the tat. Which is one of my questions, how often do I need to clean out the tat and replace all of the substrate? My other questions are since I moved them over to the bigger tat, started with a 10g, the little one Turbo has been out eating, drinking, changing shells, digging, etc. but the other 2 have dug their selves into the EE, 1 right on top of the other and have not come out. Turbo has slept on top of them and by his self. But will he get lonely? Should I go get him a playmate? They showed no signs of molting. I've only had them 10 days so I'm assuming it's PPS / destressing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
MsWorld

Re: Questions from a newbie

Post by MsWorld » Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:32 pm

ImageImageImage

Meet Stewie, Monster, and Turbo respectively.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:05 pm

He should be fine while he waits for his friends to come up. :) Also, crabs from pet stores often are due for a molt, and will as soon as conditions are right. Mine did shortly after I got them. Just be sure to get that substrate in there asap. As far as changing it, just spot clean food, and as far as I know most people wait a year or two between substrate changes/ deep cleans.

Sent from my VS415PP using Tapatalk

AutumnHermie

Post by AutumnHermie » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:54 pm

There is no need to deep clean/ change sub unless there is a bacteria bloom or flood :)
Owner of 12 PP's , 4 Blue's, and 2 straw's.