Two hermits with two painted turtles...

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Two hermits with two painted turtles...

Post by wodesorel » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:20 pm

Yeah, totally not kidding.
Kept together.
In a dry tank with a brownie pan of water.
SO MUCH CRAB POOP.

A friend messaged over an FB post this morning and we had them by 5:30! Yay for supportive husbands that don't ask questions. Image

Got a cracked, dirty 20, a lid, a stand and the critters for $40 so it was an affordable rescue for a change. Everything is drenched in cigarette smoke though so just the animals came inside for now. She said they were her son's but she ended up with them and didn't want to take them when she moved.

Also got inspected by the Ohio Division of Wildlife today. I applied for my permits so we could keep our toads, frog and milksnake sans step-daughter. Was not told they do in-person visits! I am just thankful I was expecting my husband and one of his co-workers at the time and was decent enough for company. It was like, "waitaminute, you aren't here for the keys are you?" I probably scared him! :hlol: And this way I am legal for the turtles, too.

So the hermits are in the bin with my smaller guys. They are a lot smaller than my smallest though. Green shell guy came home in a painted shell and changed before I got pictures. I am sure they need a safe molt and humidity and food.

The male and female painteds are in a 55 gallon with a canister filter. Their tank will hopefully be finished tomorrow night if the stuff from Chewy arrives as quick as it usually does. Little turtles, possibly stunted by diet and conditions but otherwise looking good. She said they were several years old.

Had to sort of tear my critter room apart for them, my only large waterproof tank had my kingsnake Stanley in it, so we had to swap 55s around and then get the aquarium stand out of storage since the racks can't hold the weight. It's still a disaster up there. So thankful the wildlife officer stopped when it was perfectly clean and organized!
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Two hermits with two painted turtles...

Post by wodesorel » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:06 pm

Little dude is either digging down or hanging out in the tunnels. Bigger dude switched shells again. Not liking the coloring or sagging eyes/limbs on either of them, but fingers crossed! ImageImage

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:38 am

Im glad to hear after all that eventfullness it went well! I know that all these animals will do sure well in your care, but vest of luck with the new additions.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

gunstreet.girl

Post by gunstreet.girl » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:35 pm

There's a special place in my rage-hole (somewhere between heart and brain) reserved for people who keep animals in conditions like that. Good on you for giving them a better home. Happy to hear they have a chance at a second chance.

Topic author
wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:19 pm

I haven't seen the hermits but haven't wanted to disturb them to look. Not sure if they are up or down.

The turtles are doing great, settling in, not panicking much, and eating a bit. Got their tank done last night. ImageImageImage

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:21 pm

Im not a turtle person at all, but the tank looks fab! They look a tad more happier in this setup, room to spread their feet and all!
(With the dock on the left, could they escape over that?)

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

Topic author
wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:32 pm

There is a locking 20 gallon lid covering the exposed water. Not sure how, but it all fit together like it was made to!

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:28 pm

When you take in (aqua)turtles that haven't had appropriate access to water, do they spend more time on land than a turtle should? Like, because their swimming muscles have atrophied?
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

Topic author
wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:41 pm

They are not great swimmers and I sat and watched them for a few hours because I had the exact same thought and was worried they would have trouble, but they do make it to the surface when they need to. They are clumsy and can't quite aim well, and if there were any more current I do think it would be a concern. They are nothing like the wild painteds I worked with a few summers ago while filling in my MILS gone-native swimming pool. The legs on these guys are skinnier and they cannot cause injury by kicking at your hand. A wild painted at this size can pack a punch to get away and swims like lightening!

I have not seen them out of the water yet either, an no sign of them in the basking area. It's like they suddenly have water so they don't want to leave it. I know they will eventually need to bask, but for now they haven't stopped swimming!

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:26 pm

wodesorel wrote:There is a locking 20 gallon lid covering the exposed water. Not sure how, but it all fit together like it was made to!

I thought you would have covered all your bases, but due to the angle of the pic it was worth the question.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:34 am

Wow Wodesorel! You are amazing! I appreciate everything you do for the animals that you rescue! I know they will do great know! You are incredible! :thumbsup::
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:08 pm

Thank you GB!

Surprisingly the hermits have not gone down to molt. The turtles are shedding though. Image

They are the oddest shade of orange. All my guys are blue! They stick out at a distance. Image

Moonlightdreams

Post by Moonlightdreams » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:13 pm

wodesorel wrote:Thank you GB!

Surprisingly the hermits have not gone down to molt. The turtles are shedding though. Image

They are the oddest shade of orange. All my guys are blue! They stick out at a distance. Image
Oh, wow! They're beautiful. :D They're Purple Pinchers, correct?
Loving owner of two hermit crabs and two dogs! Call me Moon, Icy, Kermit, or anything you'd like! sheldon_and_peanut (hermit crabs) and sisterchins (dogs) on Instagram.

Topic author
wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:23 pm

Yep! They are an unusual shade, I am betting due to conditions (only surface molts) and diet (turtle food).

The turtles look amazing at least. I bought a water change Python to do their tank and wonder why I waited so long to have one. 14 years of water changes with a hose and bucket and giving myself and the house baths. I am questioning my entire life now. ImageImageImageImage

piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:37 am

You have got your hands fuller than "Fuller House" I should say!
I just realized that you have 28 cats!?

Cute hermits, I had one in a shell like that white one.
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!