Hermit species

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
AJadams

Hermit species

Post by AJadams » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:09 pm

I’ve had my hermits for about 2 months now and I love them, I do not know what species they are tho and I am looking to buy new shells for them I don’t know which opening they prefer. I bought them in a Florida gift shop (I didn’t know about the industry until after) can somebody help?

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Hermit species

Post by JoeHermits » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:40 pm

Most hermit crabs sold in the United States are purple pinchers, which often have purple or blue claws. They prefer round openings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:48 pm

Welcome!

A picture can help us to help you to ID. But as above mentioned, most crabs in the US sold are PPs.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
AJadams

Post by AJadams » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:53 pm

Currently all three by some miracle are molting so I cannot get a picture but I know for a fact all three were in D openings

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:49 am

Equadorians are also sold in the United States. Most of the crabs sold in beach shops are Purple Pinchers though. Usually they force the PPs into painted shells.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
AJadams

Post by AJadams » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:07 pm

I actually found that out a while ago as well but one of mine actually transferred from his old shell that he had in the gift shop into another D opening shell that was in my tank