What are your crabs up to?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

soilentgringa

Re: What are your crabs up to?

Post by soilentgringa » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:04 pm

The squad just hanging out.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

meg_and_the_zoo

Post by meg_and_the_zoo » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:24 am

TImage

Twitch in his new (entirely too large) shell checking out dinner.

Zoo mom of 3 cats, a dog, a fish and 3 (for now) crabs Image

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:24 pm

Last night Felix was completely obsessed with the remaining scrap of cuttlebone. He pulled it over from it's usual on-end "surfboard in the sand" postition and, for the next two hours, he sat on it, pinching and munching. He didn't move off the cuttlebone even when Big Enzo, clutching a large shell, fell out of the second-storey shell shop and landed right next to him :hlol: !

Completely ignoring my hovering presence

"I know you're there, pinky, but I'm eating!"

The stare-down
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

Topic author
moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:03 pm

Well I never thought I would say this but my big guy Bob has been down for about 10 days and I am so RELIEVED! I may even break out in a happy dance! He's my largest crab teetering on the medium to large side. I've had him for going on 13 months and he's never dug down for more than a day or two. I was so scared I'd come home one day to a lifeless Bob but it seems that maybe he's ready to take care of business now! I've never been so excited to NOT see a crab!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crabby crew of 17- Bob, Lil Mama, Squirt, Guppy, Deacon, Madison, Bash, Thumbelina, Wilson, George, Rosie, Hercules, Speedy, Jeff, Jerry, Keen, and Reddington :)

TheLocalCrabber

Post by TheLocalCrabber » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:12 pm

My hermit crabs, all four, love to sit in the back right corner of my tank where the screen is and sit either piled up or pushing other hermits for their own V.I.P spot! Its so weird

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

khs12

Post by khs12 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:25 pm

So I've only been crabbing for about a week now but so far all 3 of my crabbies will hang out on this tiki hut I got them. Sometimes Patrice will be sitting on the tippy top, with Nickademus and Izzy just kinda hanging from the sides, and sometimes Nickademus will be on top. Izzy is so tiny compared to them, I dont think she wants to even try getting up there at the risk that one of them might just breathe and knock her over! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Izzy isnt in this pic because she was sleeping right next to a shell at this point.
Nickademus is in the turbo shell and Patrice is the big purple just chillin on the side!
Mommy of 3 PP crabbies: Nickademus, Izzy, and Patrice.

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:28 pm

The other night I added one piece of the Dall Sheep Poop I'd just gotten in the latest Alaska Hermit Crab order to their dry food dish. The only crab on the main level of the tank was Felix, lurking in the leaves. I put the food bowl in, left the room for less than 30 seconds, returned to the tank and saw that the poop ball had disappeared! Felix was hiding behind the ceramic plant holder with his treasure, just like Golum with his "precious" :lol: ... what a crab!
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:52 pm

I have been adding 1- sometimes 2 new foods from all the new stuff. Things keep disappearing so quickly I have no idea who is getting most of it. Less than 30 minutes after putting in a piece of the meatloaf from cocoa crabbies it was gone without a trace with 5 crabs looking guilty near the food bowls. I doubt it lasted more than 10 minutes with all 5 of those little boogers sitting there like that. Lol

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

TheLocalCrabber

Post by TheLocalCrabber » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:45 pm

This guy omg!
I bought a monkey named Hercules once about 5-7-3 months ago. He turned out to be my largest

meg_and_the_zoo

Post by meg_and_the_zoo » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:34 am

Big Shug (found out he's a she lol) laying upside down sort of kneading on the jute twine. Stayed like this for about an hour last night Image

Zoo mom of 3 cats, a dog, a fish and 4 crabs (Balla, Spot, Twitch & Big Shug)

TheLocalCrabber

Post by TheLocalCrabber » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:24 pm

Lol I'm 5 crabs

meg_and_the_zoo

Post by meg_and_the_zoo » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:08 pm

Silly crabs I have 5-6 empty hides right this second but a literal log jam. I have a 1/2 log hide and there are 3 under, 1 on top and one hanging off the side because he can't fit on top. Wonder what's so special about this specific hide?

Lover of all things critter (except bugs and birds )

kornchaser

Post by kornchaser » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:27 pm

I took everyone out in one swoop with everyone jammed in the moss pit (convenient wow) and kept them in my empty 20g long to re-do their tank. Here's everyone after they slid back into the 37g. I set them in a wine stacker (old moss pit) biggest first and slid them in one by one so I didn't get pinched eek! ImageImage
Baby running for dear life and walking right over MattyImageImage
Junior trying to get Toby up like dude we gotta make a run for it!
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
When I added food...ImageImageImage
The 'tat
ImageImage

Mommy of 12 PP babies - Baby, Toby, Sid, Matty, Junior, Kaylee, Aries, Adrian, Turbo, Flower, Boo and Freckles.
RIP Octavius
-

CrabbyCakes

Post by CrabbyCakes » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:14 am

This is my crab Richard Flare. He wants to be a jumbo.
“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.” ― Aldo Leopold

JulesRolyCrab

Post by JulesRolyCrab » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:50 pm

Oh my gosh, ^^^^^^ so adorable!!!! :D

Apologies for the bad quality, but I came in to see Ludwig just hanging out on the lid...