What are your crabs up to?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Bonk

Re: What are your crabs up to?

Post by Bonk » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:03 am

Had a quick glance in at the crabs (who had their moon-glo bulb on) where I saw Gilly checking out a new shell. Sal (who was brought home with her 3yrs ago) walks up and gets a claw very purposefully shoved in his face for the curiosity. A quick scuffle occurs, before my gigantic crab Cadet plods up and separates them by walking to the food bowl. Gilly stalks of and Sal proceeds to 'sniff' the shell and walk off - so much for that :hlol:
Proud owner of a 160L (40G) with 10 Australian hermits: Salvatore, Gillana, Polly 13/10/13; Cadet 25/08/14; Boho 5/09/15; Twinkie, Egg 27/09/15; Gumnut, Zipper, Rainbow 5/10/15.

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:15 pm

Big Enzo switched things up a bit last night: instead of being in the small-shell shop, he was hanging underneath it:

Not to be outdone, while Big Enzo was suspended under the small-shell shop, Mr Pinch decided to climb up onto the corner guard above the shells:

PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

Boshia

Post by Boshia » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:35 pm

I wish I could say mine were up to something, but all of them have been down either molting or destressing :wink: . Can't wait until they resurface so I can move them to their bigger home!

shanedaman112

Post by shanedaman112 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:50 am

4/4 have been down for a solid month. One finally came up about a week ago. We were in town (the beach) picking up some stuff, and I couldn't help but get another hermie. He's our first tiny, super cute! Anyways, he dug down after 3 days, and the next day 2 came up! I'm so frustrated (but super happy) now... I'm expecting my big guy to come up soon, but the tiny will still be down. I wanted all of them to be up so I can transfer to my new 40 gal, but I guess I'll just have to keep the 20 gal somewhere on the floor and transfer the others. I wish all crabs molted simultaneously >.<
2 small PPs: Leonardo, Biscuit
3 medium to large PPs: Kermit Rocketson, Lulu, Strawberry (named because he is red, not actually a straw)
1 Neon Tetra: Stevie. 1 Crawfish: Larry
R.I.P. Larry, Crabby, and Hermie (all PPs) O'mally (Neon Tetra) John Cena(Crawfish)

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:01 am

shanedaman112 wrote:I wish all crabs molted simultaneously >.<
They are just so inconsiderate! :lol:
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

marandashermies

Post by marandashermies » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:53 am

Yesterday morning I left for work and this guy was climbing here, or so I thought. I got home from work and he was still here stretchingggggg as far as he could, without actually coming out of his shell.

I immediately got in there and pulled the shelf up and away from him. He was so tightly wedged in there, I thought his shell was going to crack open! I set him free and he ran like the wind. Felt bad, but also had to laugh at the silly guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
{125g~56g~55g} {30 PPs~ 10 Straws~ 5 Ruggies~ 2 E's~ 4 Viola's~ 2 Cavipes~ 2 Indo's}
2 Handsome Kitties {Rolan & Luka}
http://s628.photobucket.com/user/marand ... t=3&page=1

shanedaman112

Post by shanedaman112 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:07 pm

marandashermies wrote:Image

Yesterday morning I left for work and this guy was climbing here, or so I thought. I got home from work and he was still here stretchingggggg as far as he could, without actually coming out of his shell.

I immediately got in there and pulled the shelf up and away from him. He was so tightly wedged in there, I thought his shell was going to crack open! I set him free and he ran like the wind. Felt bad, but also had to laugh at the silly guy.
Funny how they can even manage these things :lol:
2 small PPs: Leonardo, Biscuit
3 medium to large PPs: Kermit Rocketson, Lulu, Strawberry (named because he is red, not actually a straw)
1 Neon Tetra: Stevie. 1 Crawfish: Larry
R.I.P. Larry, Crabby, and Hermie (all PPs) O'mally (Neon Tetra) John Cena(Crawfish)

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:56 pm

Other than my 40 gallon drama, my crabs have just been doing what they do best - eating, pooping, trashing the tanks, and eating more. No one has gotten stuck, gotten on the lid, destroyed anything...It makes me suspicious.
marandashermies wrote:Image

He's special! Hahaha. I've had crabs get stuck in weird places too. It happens.
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.

DarthKrab

Post by DarthKrab » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:13 pm

My biggest, Chancho, changed into a new shell and out of the old painted one from the pet store within an hour or so of being in his new crib. but now, two nights later, he's changed shells again but this time into a shell that looks way too big for him. (He's about an inch inside from the edge of the opening)What a crazy guy... One of my other rescues hasn't come out of her shell much, and Parker has finally changed into a non-painted shell. I think they will be very happy with me once I get plants and some other things set up :crabbigsmile:
4 PP's:Zelda, Chancho, Parker, Frankie Sinatra

"I find your lack of claw disturbing..."

DarthKrab

Post by DarthKrab » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:24 am

marandashermies wrote:
KellyCrabbieLove wrote:What do you see when you look at this picture? ImageFirst you see Iris and then what appears to be a grape. Nope. It's Aphrodite. She has no fear. Iris doesn't even bother to flip her out. Jockey on the other hand...Image She food blocks him until she is done or simply flips him out. Lol
Iris is beautiful!! I have never seen anyone's crab in the Mexican turbo. It looks even more gorgeous on! I have like 6 of them and they are totally snubbed. Was she wearing that long?
I love that shell! Where do you get yours?
4 PP's:Zelda, Chancho, Parker, Frankie Sinatra

"I find your lack of claw disturbing..."

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:28 am

All over. That is called an African turbo and I bought it online from user mygann on ebay. I have bought from mggann, naples and etsy online. A few others on ebay as well.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

jasonmom

Post by jasonmom » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:50 am

One of my guys the other day put on a shell that was either too big or too heavy. It took him over an hour to travel 3-4 inches. Then he was up against a tiny grapevine. He couldn't get under it. He was there for a few hours before backing out and going back to his original shell (guess it was the original one - this was at the bottom of the shell shop and many shells have been thrown off). There was a bit of a skirmish with another guy looking at some of the shells but it didn't take him long before he was in another shell.

Just funny that he would pick a shell that he couldn't get around in. :hlol:

:hello2:

cewilson1006

Post by cewilson1006 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:56 pm

I'm experimenting with different foods to see what the crabs like best. Sunday, they had carrot puree, dried shrimp, a bit of powdered calcium supplement and I tossed in half a cashew for the heck of it. The cashew was gone the next day but I wasn't sure what happened since only one of my crabs is really up and active right now. Well it turns out, Mr. Up and Active (Comet) was hoarding the cashew in his favorite hiding spot. When one of the little guys came up and tried to check it out there was a bit of posturing but no fighting. Comet finished the entire thing by himself in 2 days. None of his tank-mates had the chance to even try it so of course, I've added more to the food dish so everyone gets a chance although I wouldn't be surprised to find a stash of them hidden near the UTH where Comet likes to hang out.

marandashermies

Post by marandashermies » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:20 pm

cewilson1006 wrote:I'm experimenting with different foods to see what the crabs like best. Sunday, they had carrot puree, dried shrimp, a bit of powdered calcium supplement and I tossed in half a cashew for the heck of it. The cashew was gone the next day but I wasn't sure what happened since only one of my crabs is really up and active right now. Well it turns out, Mr. Up and Active (Comet) was hoarding the cashew in his favorite hiding spot. When one of the little guys came up and tried to check it out there was a bit of posturing but no fighting. Comet finished the entire thing by himself in 2 days. None of his tank-mates had the chance to even try it so of course, I've added more to the food dish so everyone gets a chance although I wouldn't be surprised to find a stash of them hidden near the UTH where Comet likes to hang out.
haha mine do that as well! I put in half a crawfish and found it over in their corner area half buried. I put it back in the food dish, the next day it was half buried again! I think they just bring over treats to their "day" spots so they can munch on it in between naps :D
{125g~56g~55g} {30 PPs~ 10 Straws~ 5 Ruggies~ 2 E's~ 4 Viola's~ 2 Cavipes~ 2 Indo's}
2 Handsome Kitties {Rolan & Luka}
http://s628.photobucket.com/user/marand ... t=3&page=1

JamieL

Post by JamieL » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:53 am

Yesterday at work I texted my husband and asked him to check the tank stats, and after he gave me the numbers I asked what the one topside crab was doing. He said "he's just banging around in there." (He was trying to wedge himself in a tiny space between a water pool and the coconut hide.) I thought what a perfect description of his behavior, just bangin around
:crabblush: