What are your crabs up to?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Ryry

Re: What are your crabs up to?

Post by Ryry » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:58 pm

This is my little Foxface out for s climb.
How strange I thought I would always be able to tell who all my crabs are, but I have a mystery crab. I'm not letting it upset me quite yet. But pretty soon I just need to know! I'm glad I'm not the only one with mystery crabs!!!!!
All kinds of crabby!
2 Violas, 1 Indo, 7 PPs, 2 cats, 1 Sheltie, 1 mechanic boyfriend

Ryry

Post by Ryry » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:52 pm

I'll have to post pictures later but I got to watch two she'll changes last night!
My viola Castiel finally decided to change shells... Tho he immediately changed back... Apparently he like small funky shells lol
Then my little pp needle changed out of some swirly funky thing to a nice banded turbo. He was watching Cass in the shell shop but seemed a bit timid to go any closer. So I grabbed a turbo that looked to be just his size and I plopped it in front of him. He immediately inspected and then changed! I feel so fortunate to be able to see this stuff happen!

I just need to go on the hunt for more shells for cass....Image
That's as far as he can tuck in. And idk if he can even get that far in any more! I can't remember what kind of shell that's called. I'll have to go looking.
All kinds of crabby!
2 Violas, 1 Indo, 7 PPs, 2 cats, 1 Sheltie, 1 mechanic boyfriend

Drakezilla

Post by Drakezilla » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:56 pm

Oh my gosh! What a pretty shell! It's gotta be small -- I didn't think they had shells of that style for bigger crabs. What a little rebel! But where's he storing his angel blades, Ryry?! Image

I was woken this morning to Draco, my jumbo, using his claws as scissors to cut apart the wire lid:
My mom found him completely out of the top, his whole abdomen, everything but the shell!
Detention, Mr. Malfoy.
-:- -:- -:- / / / -:- -:- -:-
Cᴜʀʀᴇɴᴛʟʏ;
{ 01 } PP; Cᴀᴘ ( 10 /13/15 ) **Looking for a new home in Tampa, Florida**

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:09 pm

Drakezilla wrote:Oh my gosh! What a pretty shell! It's gotta be small -- I didn't think they had shells of that style for bigger crabs. What a little rebel! But where's he storing his angel blades, Ryry?! Image

I was woken this morning to Draco, my jumbo, using his claws as scissors to cut apart the wire lid:
My mom found him completely out of the top, his whole abdomen, everything but the shell!
Detention, Mr. Malfoy.
That made me crack up! What a rotten crab. :lol:
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.

singlemomwithcrab

Post by singlemomwithcrab » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:10 pm

OMG...I'm sorry Drake but WHAHAHAHAHAHAH, ROFLMBO.

We interrupt this programming for BREAKING NEWS. Drakezilla has been spotted in Tinsel Town. He has already destroyed the roof of the Zoo......
"Do or Do Not. There is no try"
50 PPs, 1 E

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:11 pm

Drakezilla wrote:Oh my gosh! What a pretty shell! It's gotta be small -- I didn't think they had shells of that style for bigger crabs. What a little rebel! But where's he storing his angel blades, Ryry?! Image

Detention, Mr. Malfoy.
I was afraid of that with mine. How are you going to fix it? Keep it from happening again? I have custom glass lids on mine and then the locking screen lid on top. the openings in the glass could be an issue because of the access to the lid.
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

Drakezilla

Post by Drakezilla » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:34 pm

megmaholm wrote:
That made me crack up! What a rotten crab. :lol:
Isn't he though?! Image
singlemomwithcrab wrote:OMG...I'm sorry Drake but WHAHAHAHAHAHAH, ROFLMBO.

We interrupt this programming for BREAKING NEWS. Drakezilla has been spotted in Tinsel Town. He has already destroyed the roof of the Zoo......
And you know, that's probably been his plan all along!!

KellyCrabbieLove wrote: I was afraid of that with mine. How are you going to fix it? Keep it from happening again? I have custom glass lids on mine and then the locking screen lid on top. the openings in the glass could be an issue because of the access to the lid.
At the moment, there's a sealed block of compressed EE over the hole, and his salt water jug is holding down the other side.

I think for now I'm going to patch it, then buy another lid, there's a ton of mini holes in the one and the bits of rust are starting to spread 8/
Little bugger has had a blast tearing it up though!! Image
Cᴜʀʀᴇɴᴛʟʏ;

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:47 pm

What a stinker.
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

singlemomwithcrab

Post by singlemomwithcrab » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:01 pm

Next time you need to entertain him while cleaning the tank, just put the old lid in a tote and let him have at it!!!!!!

:brave:
50 PPs, 1 E

kadynadair16

Post by kadynadair16 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:42 pm

[quote="singlemomwithcrab"]Little one up from molt

Where do you get these little guys??? I want one so bad! They are adorable!!

Drakezilla

Post by Drakezilla » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:40 pm

singlemomwithcrab wrote:Next time you need to entertain him while cleaning the tank, just put the old lid in a tote and let him have at it!!!!!!

:brave:
Seriously! He's got a habit of tank trashing. When he was about a medium, I went out of town and left him with a family friend in a much smaller tank for a few days ( I couldn't exactly give her the 20 in such a small home!) And it was a tank that was more of a terrarium, with a styrofoam background for lizards to climb -- He spent the ENTIRE vacation tearing the backing to shreds! :hlol: He could NOT have had more fun!
Cᴜʀʀᴇɴᴛʟʏ;

singlemomwithcrab

Post by singlemomwithcrab » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:55 am

Drakezilla wrote: Seriously! He's got a habit of tank trashing. When he was about a medium, I went out of town and left him with a family friend in a much smaller tank for a few days ( I couldn't exactly give her the 20 in such a small home!) And it was a tank that was more of a terrarium, with a styrofoam background for lizards to climb -- He spent the ENTIRE vacation tearing the backing to shreds! :hlol: He could NOT have had more fun!
Sounds like my son. There is a sheet of ice in a divit in the grass outside my house. I gave him a hammer and a few nails and he spent an hour just destroying that ice sheet. Happy as a crab :D
50 PPs, 1 E

singlemomwithcrab

Post by singlemomwithcrab » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:56 am

kadynadair16 wrote:
A crabber from this site said they had micro's at a pet store in Hacketstown NJ so I drove up one Saturday and bought the bunch. :D

This is Princess. She got her name because she is a shell diva. She came up tonight. Its hard to get a really good picture of her because this girl isn't shy. She is up, out of the shell and on the move FAST! :confused2:

50 PPs, 1 E

kornchaser

Post by kornchaser » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:13 pm

I just moved my 10g with 4 crabbies into my room and away from the vast temp changes that is the living room heater. And I have one mystery crab. Flower who is my smallest (micro) switched shells as soon as I got her and even stole Pepper's shell. Pepper changed into Matty's shell from back when he was a teeny. And then they changed like 4 more times. Now my mystery crab is in a green turbo and the crab in Pepper's old shell isn't acting like Pepper and Matty's old she'll is nowhere to be found and nobody is in Adrian's shell??? Then there's Turbo who's pretty stable on his one shell.
Flower was In a shell like pic one
Adrian was in a shell like pic two
ImageImage
EDIT: I know they're horrible shells but I got them from the petstore like that :( They have since changes shells... A lot.

Hermie mommy of 10 PP babies: Octavius Flemming, Poseidon, Bruiser, Junior, Matty Pumpkin, Turbo, Kaylee Frye, Pepper, Flower and Adrian Shephard.
-

rml6f4

Post by rml6f4 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:52 pm

Left for a weeklong work trip and when I came back one of my first crabs had finally changed from this horrible shell:
To this:
Yay for my green team!
ImageImage

Also did anyone see this on the Huffington post today? I see a familiar care sheet in one of the links!
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/6472632