Hope I didn't mess up too much!

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
MamaKelly

Hope I didn't mess up too much!

Post by MamaKelly » Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:38 pm

So, my big guy that's been acting funny with the missing leg... He had been sitting under a fake cave lately. It had an open back and side, so not totally sheltered or dark. Well, I decided to put in larger water dishes yesterday and ended up sticking him in a little hole under a coco hut. Just got home this afternoon to see him in there with hollow legs, so totally just surface molted in the hut. So, I know, leave him as alone now! But the doorway of the hut is going to be a bit small for him to get out. So I replace it with something bigger at night in a week or so after he's eaten a good bit of his exoskeleton? I hope I didn't miss him up too much by moving him yesterday.

The good news is that I finished up our taxes last night and now have a great reason to set up the 29 gallon tonight! For now I've set a lid in front of the cocohut door and checked to make sure the smaller crab is sleeping peacefully away from him.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

Topic author
MamaKelly

Re: Hope I didn't mess up too much!

Post by MamaKelly » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:06 pm

This is what I've settled on for the time being. I can peek in and watch for signs that I need to switch shelters to let him get out easier. Fingers crossed that he makes it through!Image

mool

Post by mool » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:33 am

I think that's a pretty decent solution for a not-so-great situation.

My only suggestions would be to push a couple of tiny half shells of food (organic peanut butter and honey) up near the opening for him. If you don't have small shells, use milk jug lids or something similar.

Stay as unobtrusive and hands off as possible and let him do the rest.

Topic author
MamaKelly

Post by MamaKelly » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:57 am

mool wrote:I think that's a pretty decent solution for a not-so-great situation.

My only suggestions would be to push a couple of tiny half shells of food (organic peanut butter and honey) up near the opening for him. If you don't have small shells, use milk jug lids or something similar.

Stay as unobtrusive and hands off as possible and let him do the rest.
I was going to add some food and water back in there today or tomorrow. I have a little shell that I can get right up to the door. No odor in the tank still, so all seems to be good. Plus, some shells I ordered for him just shipped, so fingers crossed that they're the right size and here before he's ready to come out and go shopping!

Topic author
MamaKelly

Post by MamaKelly » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:08 am

The big thing I'm wondering is when should I switch shelters? I think the door of this one is going to be a bit too small but it was the only really dark option that I had.

AutumnHermie

Post by AutumnHermie » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:56 am

Even if your surface molting crab is larger, he is still wer. IMO, better safe then sorry, and I would section your surface molting crab from your other crab so that there is no way your other crab can get to him. And for the next few weeks you'll want to give plenty of calcium rich and energizing foods, and honey, peanut butter, and especially cuttlebone for calcium. :)
Owner of 12 PP's , 4 Blue's, and 2 straw's.

Topic author
MamaKelly

Post by MamaKelly » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:03 pm

AutumnHermie wrote:Even if your surface molting crab is larger, he is still wer. IMO, better safe then sorry, and I would section your surface molting crab from your other crab so that there is no way your other crab can get to him. And for the next few weeks you'll want to give plenty of calcium rich and energizing foods, and honey, peanut butter, and especially cuttlebone for calcium. :)
The little one is currently enjoying free, if lonely, roam of the new 29 gallon setup. I'm not sure what you meant to say instead of "wer"

mool

Post by mool » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:52 pm

I would not change the coco hut. The crab is not going to get stuck inside of it. None of my coconut halves have doors cut into them and the crabs push them all over. They like flipping them upside down and then getting into them--like little boats.

I would leave everything as is; assuming your temp and humidity are fine. The only thing I would do is add and remove food every few days.

Topic author
MamaKelly

Post by MamaKelly » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:46 am

He's eating his exo!!! So excited I could jump around and celebrate but my kids would think their mom has gone crazy!

AutumnHermie

Post by AutumnHermie » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:53 am

Meant weak :D
Owner of 12 PP's , 4 Blue's, and 2 straw's.

Topic author
MamaKelly

Post by MamaKelly » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:21 pm

AutumnHermie wrote:Meant weak :D
I figured it was something along those lines, just wasn't sure what. :)

Topic author
MamaKelly

Post by MamaKelly » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:18 am

Still seeing movement, though I can't see very much detail with him in the dark. Still eating, some antennae waving, I think. As far as I can tell he's still in the same spot facing the same direction as when he molted.

I'm really hoping that the worst danger is past!

I'd love to be able to send the family that we adopted from a happy update. As much as they had the crabs in a bad setup they really did mean well and care about them. I think they'll be thrilled to know that he has his leg back and that the little one has been much more active after molting.

Topic author
MamaKelly

Post by MamaKelly » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:21 pm

I just moved him to the big tank. He had been hanging out in the cocohut until it got moldy and I replaced it with his old cave. Yesterday I put a shell of food next to him and he ate his fill and ended up burying the shell and parking himself right next to it. I had to move him today to clean up the mess and he immediately started exploring, especially along the glass wall next to the other tank, so I went ahead and moved him so he'd have more space and company. He's currently exploring and the little crab is alternating between eating and following him around. So glad he made it and he's got his new leg!!

mool

Post by mool » Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:55 am

Success! Congratulations :banana:

Topic author
MamaKelly

Post by MamaKelly » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:15 pm

Image It's so nice to have them together again!