Hoarding Food!

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
BlookittiePC

Hoarding Food!

Post by BlookittiePC » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:52 pm

I'm not sure if any of your crabs do this, but it's really weird.
I put a piece of shrimp in the tat for the crabs to eat, and soon after, it was gone. We checked the photographic evidence and saw that Friday had dragged the shrimp into her cocohut! I was worried that it would stink up the tat but it didn't end up smelling. I decided that it seemed Friday really liked the shrimp, so I gave her some more pieces a week or so afterwards. I went to shower, and when I checked about a half-hour later, I peeked into the hut and Friday was sitting in a weird position with her legs wrapped around the piece of shrimp! She'd stolen both pieces! :lol: Similar to the shrimp theft, a piece of cuttlebone had always been available. One night, it disappeared. I shrugged it off and gave them another piece. That one vanished too! My dad convinced me to give them another, and I did. All three ended up in the cocohut! I did a tank remodel today and took the crabs out to mix up all the sand. I found all three pieces of cuttlebone (which had all grown significantly smaller!) and no sign of the shrimp! My crabs are just really weird! :roll:
Two amazing PPs: Jarvis, who has been with me since 7/14/18, and NewCrab (still unnamed) since 1/11/21!
And a tortoiseshell kitty: Delia

I'm still pretty new to this and I'm trying to learn all I can!

Hermie escape artist

Re: Hoarding Food!

Post by Hermie escape artist » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:07 pm

Hah my crabbie does it to only things HE REALLY LIKES LOL !!! heck DRAG IT AWAY AND BURRY IT

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:54 pm

I put my crab food in oyster shells and they're always trying to drag the shells into their hides or into tunnels!

Jamison

Post by Jamison » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:08 pm

Mine do this with popcorn!
2 purple pinchers
1 old dog

I will miss you Lloyd! Good luck up In Hermie Heaven!
You to Hagrid!

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:07 pm

Yep, I caught mine taking off with, popcorn, shrimp, and a big clump of spaghetti!
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Eggster

Post by Eggster » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:05 am

Yeah, I've tossed shrimp tails to my crabs a few times and they loved them. First time I set them out, I didn't even get the tank lid close before my smallest guy started to steal one away. I dont give shrimp tails that often as the crabs do love to secret them away which leaves me with more mold and odor to deal with.

My crabs also love to steal and horde egg shells. Whenever I put mainly intact shells in the tank, I'll always have at least one crab climb inside one and defend its special seat until it eventually breaks.

Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:26 am

Eggster wrote:Yeah, I've tossed shrimp tails to my crabs a few times and they loved them. First time I set them out, I didn't even get the tank lid close before my smallest guy started to steal one away. I dont give shrimp tails that often as the crabs do love to secret them away which leaves me with more mold and odor to deal with.

My crabs also love to steal and horde egg shells. Whenever I put mainly intact shells in the tank, I'll always have at least one crab climb inside one and defend its special seat until it eventually breaks.
That just made me lol- I can just see a little hermie sitting in it like a freshly popped chick, saying get away! Hahahaha such funny critters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
BlookittiePC

Post by BlookittiePC » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:52 pm

Just a funny, random update:
A few days ago we gave the crabs tiny pieces of chopped up, raw beef in a clam shell. I forgot about it and the next day checked to see if they had taken any of it. They stole all four pieces! I think that what they're doing is adorable, but I don't want then stinking up the tat with all their stolen food! :lol:
Two amazing PPs: Jarvis, who has been with me since 7/14/18, and NewCrab (still unnamed) since 1/11/21!
And a tortoiseshell kitty: Delia

I'm still pretty new to this and I'm trying to learn all I can!

angelbearpuppy

Post by angelbearpuppy » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:24 pm

That is hilarious. I have not really had an instance when mine hord food. Or I do not notice it When they do

Sent from my LGL157BL using Tapatalk

I have owned Hermit Crabs for 2 Years

I have 1 E named Monkey and 2 PP named Shy Guy and Little P

I also own 1 PP named Dory who stays in my classroom