Ummmm this is new

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
KrankyKrab

Ummmm this is new

Post by KrankyKrab » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:40 pm

Soooo I am wondering what the.....

I have these two rescues since this morn. They are in a small critter keeper as I set up an ISO tank.... I was horrified to find the bigger guy trying to attack or scrape out the lil guy. I assume small area = aggression .

But I have a clip (can’t seem to load a video) and he has rhythmic movement. Could that be mating? And she just wasn’t in the mood??

I have her in a plastic bottle for protection and he is snuggled against it. Any way to tell if he is salivating for a meal or booty?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DragonsFly

Re: Ummmm this is new

Post by DragonsFly » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:34 pm

:crabblush:
Last edited by DragonsFly on Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
KrankyKrab

Post by KrankyKrab » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:47 pm

Ohhhh I see. Ok so my instincts were right - I asked because they spent time together before I took them in and had NO IDEA what mating looked like or entailed. They are both in my new ISO tank now with loads of food and away from my molted for some time. I’ve decided to name him Bam Bam. Lol

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:01 am

DragonsFly wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:34 pm
Invertebrate mating doesn't look like mammal mating--in the case of hermit crabs, it's a transfer of a spermatophore, and it happens in the water.
No, it looks a lot like fighting, or a shell jacking. The male will ride the female around for hours or sometimes days, and when its time he flips her over and pins her down and won't let go. Afterwards he continues to guard her for a while, and he'll be fighting off any approaching males as well.

Rhythmic movements tend to be more warning in nature, and territorial.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
KrankyKrab

Post by KrankyKrab » Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:43 am

wodesorel wrote: No, it looks a lot like fighting, or a shell jacking. The male will ride the female around for hours or sometimes days, and when its time he flips her over and pins her down and won't let go. Afterwards he continues to guard her for a while, and he'll be fighting off any approaching males as well.

Hmmmmm... Ok then I’ll be extra attentive because this also fits. After the plastic cup was placed around “her”, he sat next to it (in critter keeper).

Then I placed them in the 10g ISO: they were intrigued and fine. An hour later I found her on her back and him near her but not on her. (Still waiting to check her underside for gender).

DragonsFly

Post by DragonsFly » Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:25 pm

wodesorel wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:01 am
No, it looks a lot like fighting, or a shell jacking. The male will ride the female around for hours or sometimes days, and when its time he flips her over and pins her down and won't let go. Afterwards he continues to guard her for a while, and he'll be fighting off any approaching males as well.

Whoops. . . sorry, my research failed me. I've never had any even try to mate, so I've never observed it first-hand.
--{}: Dragons Fly Farm --{}:
Resident PP's:"Major Tom" & "Billie Jean"

“An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered.”
― G.K. Chesterton

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:10 pm

I had videos up on YouTube of mine mating at one point, years ago. I usually catch it at least once per summer, only because the males make such a big deal out of the whole thing.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

DragonsFly

Post by DragonsFly » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:33 am

Wodes, is it likely that recent rescues would be trying to mate, though? I thought they didn't really go in for that unless they were really healthy and in stable, excellent conditions for a while?

“An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Topic author
KrankyKrab

Post by KrankyKrab » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:19 pm

DragonsFly wrote:Wodes, is it likely that recent rescues would be trying to mate, though? I thought they didn't really go in for that unless they were really healthy and in stable, excellent conditions for a while?
I have to say they are unusually comfortable. (Not the little “girl” as much as the big guy) but both aren’t shy with holding and they are making themselves home in the food dishes. Maybe since they were house mates - they aren’t as frightened in a new environment?? Image

They seemed good today together in the same tank and they mostly snuggle. It’s def 50/50 in my eyes with booty vs aggression.

Thanks guys Image

DragonsFly

Post by DragonsFly » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:26 pm

Okay, so I was not understanding the background of these two crabs--they are a male and female who have been in captivity for some time (how long?), but just recently came into your possession?

― G.K. Chesterton

Topic author
KrankyKrab

Post by KrankyKrab » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:32 pm

DragonsFly wrote:Okay, so I was not understanding the background of these two crabs--they are a male and female who have been in captivity for some time (how long?), but just recently came into your possession?
Not sure - I (think) I know that the “aggressive one” is male (no holes on underside). The smaller one isn’t confirmed yet. Yes, they were caged together before I came along. They do rest next to each other since I put them in the 10g ISO. I haven’t seen “hostility” since ....

DragonsFly

Post by DragonsFly » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:29 pm

"Caged together" for how long, do you know? I'm wondering how long they have been in captivity.

― G.K. Chesterton

Topic author
KrankyKrab

Post by KrankyKrab » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:52 am

DragonsFly wrote:"Caged together" for how long, do you know? I'm wondering how long they have been in captivity.
Almost two years - in desolate dry conditions Image