Straw (perlatus) over 5 years?

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
tonycoenobita

Straw (perlatus) over 5 years?

Post by tonycoenobita » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:13 pm

Anyone who have big straw (coenobita perlatus) over 5 years?

Can share experience to us?

We found big straw usually die easily.
Tony

Land Hermit Crab Species Introduction:
www.tonycoenobita.com/species_eng.htm

Crabbing since 2000

dinky

Re: Straw (perlatus) over 5 years?

Post by dinky » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:16 am

I've had 2 large ....wear 1 and half opening shell for 3 years and they just went down to molt,so waiting on new year for them to come up.
Happy owner of 10 pp's, 7 E's, 2 straws, 1 ruggie, 2 viola's, 2 dogs, to many kids to count and one awesome hubby

sugarselections

Post by sugarselections » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:52 pm

I have a large straw that I've had for over four years, just a bit shy of five years. I got her from LHC and she was already a large when I got her. Since then she has grown bit by bit as she's molted. I have another straw who has been with me over three years and she was a medium/large when I got her and is now a large.

Topic author
tonycoenobita

Post by tonycoenobita » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:57 am

Any tips for large Straw?
Tony

Land Hermit Crab Species Introduction:
www.tonycoenobita.com/species_eng.htm

Crabbing since 2000

dinky

Post by dinky » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:45 pm

tonycoenobita wrote:Any tips for large Straw?
I had always heard they was the most difficult crab to maintain in captivity, so after researching care that was recommended, I just made sure I had plenty of sand/EE mixed properly and deep enough and I have really kept an eye on temp/humidity for them. I keep extra heaters in case the ones I have on the tank quit working as I never want a sudden change for them. I believe that if you have straws it just takes more work for their up keep and you have to constantly be on top of the conditions in the tank. I feed a wide variety of foods. My straws seem to get board with the tank more so than other crabs, so I find it helpful to change the large climbing limbs and stuff around for them to be entertained. Straws have to be kept entertained or they seem to rearrange the tank themselves and they do more destruction than my other large land hermit crabs.
Happy owner of 10 pp's, 7 E's, 2 straws, 1 ruggie, 2 viola's, 2 dogs, to many kids to count and one awesome hubby

sugarselections

Post by sugarselections » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:49 pm

tonycoenobita wrote:Any tips for large Straw?
Truthfully, absolutely nothing special. I keep them in a community tank with all my other crabs and they get no special treatment. My substrate is 100% coco fiber and I prefer to feed mainly fresh food, not dried. Day/night temp is usually in the 85/75 range and my humidty generally runs pretty high.

jarteta97

Post by jarteta97 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:50 am

Wooo. My conditions are very similar Sugar. And my medium to large straw that I've had for about a year just came up from molting in the new tank, so I'm glad to know I'm doing something right :)
When you've been crabbing for so long, you don't even know how many crabs you have now...

Careyenz

Post by Careyenz » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:33 pm

I have a jumbo female who has been with me for over three. She came from LHC as well and is a serial molter. She was a teeny when I got her and regularly goes down every three months to molt. Every big straw I have spends a large amount of time in the salt water and definitely spends a good bit of time underground. Deep substrate is a must as well as deep salt water pools. Other than that, mine are in a community tank with no issues. 80 degrees/80% humidity.
Careyenz, mom to Collin-7, Lily-4, 4 Straws, 5 Blues, 2 Violas, 2 E's, 2 PP's, and 3 cats.

MuseCrazy

Post by MuseCrazy » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:37 am

I have 3 smalls straws that I haven't even had for a year yet. I can second that they do spend more time in the saltwater than my other crabs. They're also in a community tank as well with PPs and E's. Straws are very docile and stay out of everyone's way. I have EE and sand mix with 85/75 temps and my humidity is usually over 80%

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:41 am

tonycoenobita wrote:Anyone who have big straw (coenobita perlatus) over 5 years?
This is a question I would love to see an answer to. I know I've never had Straws - and I don't plan on ever having any - but I'm curious about what we're "missing". Because we're obviously missing something if it's still so rare for someone to have them live over 5 years. :(

jarteta97

Post by jarteta97 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:51 am

I agree with Calla on that. Many could say, "Well why would you keep them if you knew they weren't going to last?" But then, how can we discover what they need without studying them in captivity and trying new things? Also, a lot of people will still try to keep them, regardless of care level or experience, and by keeping them and trying to determine what it is that they need, we can help improve their care standards.
When you've been crabbing for so long, you don't even know how many crabs you have now...

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:28 pm

Usually around three to four years into captivity, a seemingly healthy straw will have an issue while molting and will often die during either that molt or the next. I don't remember ever seeing anyone that had a straw more than five years, and it was always a molting issue that killed them. Hopefully this newer batch of crabbers will have success for longer, since UVB and vitamin D has become more common and maybe that's all they are missing.

Jumbo crabs in general have trouble adapting to captivity, so it's not just Straws or other exotics. I've yet to have a crab that was purchased at a jumbo size survive. The ones that molted into that size have all been great, but when they're already huge at capture they can't seem to make the transition.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

jarteta97

Post by jarteta97 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:59 am

I think crabbers all have different luck. I've probably purchased 5 E's in my crabbing experience (I was less experienced at the time), but every single one either died from molting or from PPS. So I've just had bad luck with them. But one of my oldest crabs is a jumbo, bought from a wire cage in a beach shop, and he's still with me, through several molts. It's just odd. I think I'll try E's again in the future, as my conditions are more favorable.

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:00 pm

I lost 2/4 Es. One to PPS and 1 to a bad molt. My first E has molted 2 or 3 times with me fine and my last E molted once.
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

Drakezilla

Post by Drakezilla » Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:28 am

I'd love to have straws in the future, but I wish there was a better proven method of keeping them alive.

Even going small/teenie they don't seem to make it as well as the PPs. I agree with the above statement, I've found that starting small is less stressful for the crab -- at least with mine, they seem more willing to adapt to captivity and are more willing to 'trust' their caretakers. So once they reach jumbo sized they seem a lot more easy going.

I know it's easier too on me because if Id started with jumbos I would NOT be as comfortable with them not knowing them from smalls.
-:- -:- -:- / / / -:- -:- -:-
Cᴜʀʀᴇɴᴛʟʏ;
{ 01 } PP; Cᴀᴘ ( 10 /13/15 ) **Looking for a new home in Tampa, Florida**