QUESTIONS

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
Huckleberry

QUESTIONS

Post by Huckleberry » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:01 pm

A few questions... Dunno if this is the right topic....

1. When do crabs usually molt? And how many shell sizes do they usually move up?
2. What are 'breeding' conditions? I don't need my crab to breed, I just want him happy.
3. What is the perfect temp/humidity? I have heard temp: 75 F, and humidity: 75-90%
4. How deep should the sand be?
5. What sizes are considered 'small' 'medium' and 'jumbo'
6. What are some good names? I am looking for 2-3 more crabs
7. How many crabs fit in a 10 gallon tank? What about 20?
8. Is the Zoo Med 'Repti-Fogger' good?
9. How do you get your crab to molt?
10. What are good climbing toys?

Thank you!
Proud crabber since 2009! I am so glad I found this site, I have learned so much about hermit crabs since joining. They are so much happier and healthier now! Thank you HCA!

purpleperson

Re: QUESTIONS

Post by purpleperson » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:38 pm

1. My crabs molt when they need to or want to. There isn't much of a schedule that I've noticed. They usually move up one shells size if they do move up at all. Sometimes they keep the same shell for quite awhile.

2. Breeding conditions are just the most optimal crabitat conditions. Do you only have one crab? It's recommended that you have more than one. They are social animals.

3. 75 degrees is the minimum temp for purple pinchers, but at 80 you'll see the most activity. We recommend a UTH on the side of the tank. Your humidity is in the safe range. My crabs usually like it when humidity remains about 80%.

4. For small crabs we recommend a minimum of 6 inches of playsand or a playsand and Eco earth mixture.

5. There is a size chart. I would get you the link but I'm on tapatalk. I'll try to get it after I post this.

6. To me all names are good names :) it's cool when people make themes like characters etc.

7. Personally I would only put 2 small/med crabs in a 10 gallon. In my 20 gallon I had 4 crabs for awhile and it wasn't too crowded but I have since upgraded to a 40 gallon for 4 crabs. There is also a chart for this.

8. No experience here.

9. They molt when they need to.

10. Cholla wood, nets, safe branches, fake plants, plastic toys things like that.

Most of this information could have been found in the caresheets. I'll try to get you the links for these too. I recommend you read them. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

purpleperson

Post by purpleperson » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:42 pm

Here you go.

Crabitat: Tank Size, Crab Size & How Many Can You Have?
http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... hp?t=92541

Care Sheet: Basic Hermit Crab Care for All Species
http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... hp?t=92457

Topic author
Huckleberry

Post by Huckleberry » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:12 pm

Thank you very much!
Proud crabber since 2009! I am so glad I found this site, I have learned so much about hermit crabs since joining. They are so much happier and healthier now! Thank you HCA!

AutumnHermie

Post by AutumnHermie » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:44 pm

Here's an answer to your Repti-Rain question: I once got one when I had just gotten my 20 gal. The thing klonked out in a week. It was a total waste of money for me. I've heard of some success with it, but I would now steer clear of it.
Owner of 12 PP's , 4 Blue's, and 2 straw's.

Topic author
Huckleberry

Post by Huckleberry » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:49 pm

Great thanks! I've been getting some success with a towel over the tank, so I think If I give a good spray as many times as I can, I can keep it in a 70-90% range all day. :)
Thanks!

purpleperson

Post by purpleperson » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:13 am

Huckleberry&Friends wrote:Great thanks! I've been getting some success with a towel over the tank, so I think If I give a good spray as many times as I can, I can keep it in a 70-90% range all day. :)
Thanks!
Maybe you should try covering the tank with plexi glass or plastic wrap? It hold humidity in better, and over spraying can lead to flooding on the bottom of the tank, which is fatal to molting crabs. :/ what is your heat source?

Topic author
Huckleberry

Post by Huckleberry » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:41 pm

My main heat source is a heated pad under the sand, and a light that is not working right. His heat is at 70-75, but the light makes it too hot. I dunno what to do. :|

purpleperson wrote: Maybe you should try covering the tank with plexi glass or plastic wrap? It hold humidity in better, and over spraying can lead to flooding on the bottom of the tank, which is fatal to molting crabs. :/ what is your heat source?

purpleperson

Post by purpleperson » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:47 pm

You should attach the heater to the back of the tank or to the side. They don't really work when they have to go through all of the sand.

Topic author
Huckleberry

Post by Huckleberry » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:05 pm

Thank you! It's under his plastic plant, with a small layer of sand, so he goes there when he is cold. :)
purpleperson wrote:You should attach the heater to the back of the tank or to the side. They don't really work when they have to go through all of the sand.

purpleperson

Post by purpleperson » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:08 pm

The sand should be even across to tank. :) of its sloped you can have molt deformities and issues. And if the sand is at the proper depth you shouldn't have any "shallow" areas at all