Hermit crab and cat - how to protect crab

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
finleyfoo

Hermit crab and cat - how to protect crab

Post by finleyfoo » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:12 pm

For those of you who have hermit crabs and cats. How do you prevent the cat from possibly going over the tank and getting in there to get the food or the crabs themselves? I have never had a house cat but we are considering one and it occurred to me that unlike a dog (which I do have experience with), cats can climb. Would a cat be interested in the smells coming from the tank and could a cat get in there or cause problems? Thanks.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Hermit crab and cat - how to protect crab

Post by wodesorel » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:54 pm

I have way too many cats to be considered sane, and have never had a major problem with them and the crabs. A good lid is a must, but the crabs should have one anyway so they aren't able to escape. If you use a heat lamp it can be a little dangerous with a cat because they can knock it over.

Mine just like to lay on top the tank because it's so warm. I've had them crawl inside while I was cleaning or changing water. Only had one idiot use it as a litterbox, but he also had a thing for potted plants.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:57 pm

Now that I have a plexi-glass lid, it's not a problem. Like Wode said, they like to lay on topo. Dusty, the brain damaged cat, watches the crabs like they are on TV, LOL. When I used saran wrap, I had to keep the door to that room closed all the time.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
finleyfoo

Post by finleyfoo » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:37 pm

I have a plexi glass lid that sits on top (inside the rim). It it hinged so that it opens halfway. If I jostle it, it can fall into the tank. So I would be concerned that it could be knocked down with enough jostling.

Moniris

Post by Moniris » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:39 pm

finleyfoo wrote:I have a plexi glass lid that sits on top (inside the rim). It it hinged so that it opens halfway. If I jostle it, it can fall into the tank. So I would be concerned that it could be knocked down with enough jostling.
What did you use to hinge it? I just put a plexi lid on my tank and right now it's one piece that is a pain to get off and on

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Tamatoa ◆ Possum ◆ Apollo ◆ Racer
Instagram: @home_defense_crabs

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:36 pm

You may need to figure out a way to brace it then - although if you can jostle it free, the crabs could potentially get loose, too!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
finleyfoo

Post by finleyfoo » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:32 pm

Moniris wrote:
finleyfoo wrote:I have a plexi glass lid that sits on top (inside the rim). It it hinged so that it opens halfway. If I jostle it, it can fall into the tank. So I would be concerned that it could be knocked down with enough jostling.
What did you use to hinge it? I just put a plexi lid on my tank and right now it's one piece that is a pain to get off and on

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I purchased the lid from amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002 ... UTF8&psc=1

BlookittiePC

Post by BlookittiePC » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:15 pm

I have two cats and I haven't had any problems within the four months I've had the crabs. One of my cats is fourteen, so she doesn't care, and the other who is three heard them making noises one night, stared intently at them for a while, and lost interest.
Two amazing PPs: Jarvis, who has been with me since 7/14/18, and NewCrab (still unnamed) since 1/11/21!
And a tortoiseshell kitty: Delia

I'm still pretty new to this and I'm trying to learn all I can!