Exotic Land Hermit Crab Paradise for Crabs

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
suebee

Exotic Land Hermit Crab Paradise for Crabs

Post by suebee » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:37 pm

Still in awe and over whelmed with all I learned But very excited to tell all of you about Crabola and my visit to ELHC. We met Bob and saw his amazing facility. I thought my crabs were spoiled. We spent aprox 12 hours at ELHC watching the natural environment. It was amazing set up just like the natural beaches the crabs endeavor in nature. Substrate deep enough for me to molt! Natural trees for the crabs to climb. I swear one of the trees was growing violas. Humidity and heat constantly Monitored. Fresh foods good enough for me to eat! We helped crack up and feed fresh coco nut. I was hand feeding crabs! They even knew what time dinner was and all started coming up from burrows and out of natural huts to the feeding areas. They actually know Bobs voice and seem to come to follow it around. This was a chance in a life time to see how a set up should be. Hugh, is one of the words that come to mind. It was a dream to see. I learned so much and found out that there is still so much more to learn. I even brought home a few newbies! (I added them to my signature, pictures later) We saw shell changes and natural play among the crabs. coco nut tug a war.
After seeing what can be done for the crabs im sickened by what ive seen at pet shops and heard about from other hermit crab suppliers.
Bob was so informative, I want there with the idea i wanted blueberries but after long chats and seeing the blueberries in action i found that they are the sweetest of crabs but a bit to sweet and calm to put in with my other species. Separate areas are kept for crabs with different needs.
New species were amazing. Yes i have seen the proof of new species and yes they do exist. coco nut crabs.. Oh My gosh. amazing creatures with such personality.
The facility was amazingly clean. I feel funny calling it a facility because it was a visit to a exotic island in my mind. Ill let Crabola chime in and think about what i forgot to tell you to add more! I just couldnt wait any longer to share my experience!
Last edited by suebee on Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
I buy from ELHC or HCP, I CANNOT RECEIVE PM MESSAGES SO EMAIL ME,anytime! suebeebuzz@me.com visit my Hermit Crab Dollar Store. Crabbing from aprox 1974- I own 12 Species,On Face Book-Susan Staff's Coenobita Research of New Jersey

cass2399

Post by cass2399 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:50 pm

Totally cool!! I am so glad that some one got to see his set up in person. I think this should put to rest any questions about his set up, etc. that anyone may have. I know it does for me. I look forward to seeing the pics of your newbies.

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:31 am

It sounds incredible. I knew they (the new crabs) were looking at the diggs I offered like they were the projects... now I know why! Thanks for the info... wow what a trip :-)

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:58 am

It was a really fascinating day and I am also still working through and processing all the things that I learned. Bob has probably forgotten more about Coenobita than most people on this planet will ever know. I truly believe that and I am not a person who is easily impressed.

He has spent a large portion of his life traveling to different countries, observing different species in their natural environment, seeing what they need and how they behave and then incorporated all that knowledge into his current crab habitat system. At one point he asked why we were just standing there, looking and not saying much. We were literally speechless! Seeing that many crabs, living in a natural setting in the kind of colonies you would see in the wild is pretty impressive stuff and not something you see everyday and certainly not something that a hobbyist could easily reproduce. Their conditions, as Sue has said, are carefully choreographed and monitored and devoted to the health and well being of the crabs. For species with special requirements such as limited saltwater (Aussies) or a quiet, mellow personality that would not allow them to thrive with other crabs (Blueberrries), they are carefully set up to meet and maintain their needs and health. It was such fun to help feed them, they all come out to eat and will take food from your hand, wow! Seeing a big cluster of Violas devour a large hunk of coconut was nothing short of fascinating and we literally watched them for hours.

Also, Bob is just quite simply, a nice person. He is willing to share his knowledge with anyone who loves crabs who is willing to listen and learn. We spent an entire day with him and his family and it is blatantly obvious that he cares about these crabs and wants the best for them. Having 20 years in the dog world I would equate him to the kind of dog person who won't just sell their pups to the first person that walks up with cash in hand. He will ask you questions before he sells you his crabs to assure himself that his crabs are going to a healthy environment where they will be well cared for as a good, responsible canine breeder would. After speaking to him at length, he wouldn't have sold me any crabs even if I had begged because I still need to up my sand/ee ratio (coming along slowly as molters come up) and I am pretty much at capacity until I can find space for a tank larger than my current 55g.

I really hope we get to go back and visit again sometime soon because it truly is crab paradise and there is so much more we could learn from Bob! We had an amazing day.

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:39 am

Were you able to take pictures there? I'd love to see pictures of the "Island" :)

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:34 am

And I would like to mention one more thing... Before our visit on Tuesday I'd had only one conversation with Bob. I had emailed him some pictures of my crab, Eva, back in January and then called him to discuss them because there was some question as to what species she is. He was very pleasant and informative, especially given that I was not looking to buy anything, and that was our only occasion to chat. So I went in on Tuesday with an open mind and formed my opinions based on my observations and mine alone. :wink:

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:02 am

:3 That sounds ..... cant think of a good descriptive word for it. :)
haha if you do go again..... *cough* take me with youuuuuuu. haha. If I get the degrees I want in Bio I would love to work with(observe ) animals/plants/etc in the wild excpecially crabs. :D well even though it's not the best descriptive word for how you describe it I'd say it sounds beautiful.

Kathy Freer

ELHC

Post by Kathy Freer » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:21 am

Could you tell me where EHLC is? Like what state?If I'm ever in the USA I would want to go there.

hlhiggs87

Post by hlhiggs87 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:42 am

This sounds amazing! I'd love to get to go there someday.
3 Cats- Teddy, Pippa, and baby Maggie
4 Parakeets - Baby, Kate, Jayden, and Jordan
11 PPs- Carly, Mr.Pinch, Henrietta, Lucky, April, Arwen, Hermione, Brian, Nemo, Dasher, and Noel

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:59 am

8) Awesome. I would love to see pics and hear more about how it's all set up. I may see if I could visit too since it's not very far from me. :)

tlivs

Post by tlivs » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:29 pm

i dont think people are bent about it i just think people may be weary about the whole thing, which is actually good
no one is criticizing him (i dont think, but i cant speak for anyone but myself)
they just want to know more and get more facts before accepting it
if everyone just heard of a new species and accepted it like that, no research would have to be done or papers about it
there has to be critics to move forward in anything
just my 2c

anywho
that is so awesome... something i would LOVE to do

just from everyone talking on the phone to him he seems like a great man, and i LOVE how his facility / beach mirrors himself
he truly does care about them which is something extremely rare for vendors

ps nice to see you again crabola you havent been on lately!
arthur, charlie, ralph, hunter and oliver
rip. benjamin

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:50 pm

Oh I totally agree that questioning and curiosity is a good thing. I am certain that it takes quite some time to have the research done to prove a new species and unfortunately there is little funding for the study of Coenobita so who knows when it might happen. Bob is not a scientist, though he knows more than most of them I would bet.

We are all here because of our fondness for hermit crabs, and I wish people would try to keep that in mind when they post.

LOL, I often take a break from the virtual world :wink: But I always come back in the end :lol:

Topic author
suebee

Post by suebee » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:44 pm

Being able to go there is not something anyone can do. It is his home. He also has many people who would love to steal his research instead of putting in the time and years that he has to gain the knowledge on their own. Its not a open facility to visit. I have made friends with Bob over our many talks. Im one of those people that can never find enough information on the crabs no matter how much i search. In my searching I found Bob who put up with my many questions, listened to my ideas, worked out problems with me and also considered any findings that i have found out regarding the herbal side of feeding the crabs. We have talked so many hours that we have become friends. As his friend i was given the special privilege of a invite to his home. When I spoke to him about Crabola and her thoughts that were so much like mine he told me that we both could come. Sara (crabola) and i have been trying to find out what we can about Eva her crab that was sold as a viola but just didnt seem like one to us. So lucky for Eva she got to come too! lol The three of us had a girls Road trip. ELHC is in Delaware but its not a store or place of business as much as it is a home. A beautiful home in paradise.
We even saw a bald eagle fly over head in his yard.
In my dreams I dream of a place that would be the best place ever for hermit crabs and in real life this met and exceeded any of my dreams.
We will be going again im happy to say. Personally id like to pack my bag and move in with the crabs. I could of watched them all night long just being wild in a natural habitat.

My 8 new babies are all so friendly and not shy a bit. None have dug down and all are getting along wonderful.
When it comes to a new species Bob does get the DNA and proper backing to prove the new found species. Im so glad this man has dedicated his life to this cause, he has already given so much information to hermit crab owners , if you listen and follow his instructions, you cant go wrong. Many years of learning and research has proven that.
He is so open anyone could call and ask questions. I hope to learn as much as i can from him and pass on all the information I can. Bob has a heart of Gold.
Last edited by suebee on Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
I buy from ELHC or HCP, I CANNOT RECEIVE PM MESSAGES SO EMAIL ME,anytime! suebeebuzz@me.com visit my Hermit Crab Dollar Store. Crabbing from aprox 1974- I own 12 Species,On Face Book-Susan Staff's Coenobita Research of New Jersey

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:48 pm

Okay, so you dont want to post pics, thats cool. I'm just a newbie, and thought I might learn something! Any specifics to give us? or PM me? Like what kind of tanks? how he feeds, waters, heats, humidify's??? (I don't even know who this guy is!? I'm new! lol!) Just checking! Thanks!

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:41 pm

It was fascinating to see how he does it on the scale that he does, but like I said above, not something that the average hobbyist could replicate... so if you are using tanks like most of us are, stick with the usual heat lamps and uth solutions for heat, foggers and moss pits for humidity and such. Unless you want to build a new house just for the crabs, LOL! I would if I could :hlol:

Seriously though, substrate is very important and after talking to Bob about it for a long time, the 5:1 sand to coir ratio is a great place to start if you are looking to make the environment as healthy as possible for your crabs, if you don't already have it.

Fresh foods are great! I will always have fresh coconut at least several times a week after seeing how they go for it. :shock: