Is this what I think it is?!?! Edit: Yep, babies!

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Mama Crabs

Post by Mama Crabs » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:10 am

[quote="SojMad"]Is it possible that hermit crabs mate underground?

LOL! You tell us!! :hlol:

MudCrabDude

Post by MudCrabDude » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:45 pm

Wow, that's interesting to hear.

I know (on the old nature documentaries) male fiddler crabs do take their mates underground when the tides come. And the Christmas Island Red Land Crabs do so supposedly as well...so it may be the case here. It may explain how your 1-3-years-captive crabs may have been able breed and subsequently lay eggs without you previously suspecting. :)

Topic author
SojMad

Post by SojMad » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:44 pm

Mama Crabs wrote: LOL! You tell us!! :hlol:
[smilie=tongue.gif]
MudCrabDude wrote:Wow, that's interesting to hear.

I know (on the old nature documentaries) male fiddler crabs do take their mates underground when the tides come. And the Christmas Island Red Land Crabs do so supposedly as well...so it may be the case here. It may explain how your 1-3-years-captive crabs may have been able breed and subsequently lay eggs without you previously suspecting. :)

Wow, thanks for the information! Then they've probably mated! :P It would make sense too, they get a lot more privacy in an underground cave. :D

Does anyone know at all how long hermit crabs are pregnant? And is it normal for them to mate just after she's hatched her previous eggs? Well, okay, it probably is if they have, but does anyone know anything more about it? :) What would happen if she would go down to molt soon? Will she lose the sperm? (I know other animals does)
(I've had the ruggie female for about 1½ year and the male slightly shorter, but both of them have molted 2-3 times.)
C. brevimanus
C. rugosus
C. clypeatus
C. cavipes
C. violascens

Topic author
SojMad

Post by SojMad » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:42 am

I just want to tell you all that they are still alive. :D I check them at least once every hour, and change most of their water at least 3-4 times a day. And I still haven't gotten any answers from THCP, so I hope they see my email soon. :)

This is how I keep them for now:

And here are some of them just a few minues ago. :D (Okay, I know, they look the same, but they are so CUTE and TINY and AMAZING! :lol:)
C. brevimanus
C. rugosus
C. clypeatus
C. cavipes
C. violascens

piccolo41099

Post by piccolo41099 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:19 am

Wow. This is still so amazing.
Wife to the love of my life, mommy to 5 boys and 2 girls and crab mama to 11 pp's, 2 straw's lovin' their new 90g home.

Topic author
SojMad

Post by SojMad » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:29 pm

I have found phytoplankton in one of the pet stores, so now I have some proper food to them! :D I've also bought sea salt, since I've used up all the salt I had in all water changes I've done for the little ones. :lol:
C. brevimanus
C. rugosus
C. clypeatus
C. cavipes
C. violascens

samurai_crab

Post by samurai_crab » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:41 pm

The next hard part after just keeping them alive will be when they are ready for land and need tiny shells :D
C. clypeatus, C. compressus, & C. perlatus

wolfnipplechips

Post by wolfnipplechips » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:23 pm

You are doing a great job!! I am so excited! :D I've been telling everybody who will listen about this. :lol:
Crabby since May 2009
Hermit Crab Food Store: http://alaskahermit.com/
Pets: crabs, cats, lizards, flesh eating beetles, isopods, betta fish

piccolo41099

Post by piccolo41099 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:41 pm

If they make it to the stage of needing teeny tiny shells, I bet everyone on this board will be looking for shells for you. :D
Wife to the love of my life, mommy to 5 boys and 2 girls and crab mama to 11 pp's, 2 straw's lovin' their new 90g home.

Topic author
SojMad

Post by SojMad » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:18 pm

samurai_crab wrote:The next hard part after just keeping them alive will be when they are ready for land and need tiny shells :D
Yeah, that will probably be a problem. :shock: I have to find tiny shells, that's for sure. :) Does anyone know really HOW tiny they are when they walk up on land? This is the tiniest hermit crab I've found on picture so far (scroll down a bit): http://www.squidoo.com/hermit-crab-gifts
wolfnipplechips wrote:You are doing a great job!! I am so excited! :D I've been telling everybody who will listen about this. :lol:
Thank you! :D I'm also excited, but now I'm constantly anxious too. It would have been one thing if they had died immediately, but since they are still alive, they have given me hope and I've gotten really attached to them.. :roll: I will be so sad and disappointed if they don't make it, but I still know how small the chances of them surviving are. (I am really trying hard to think realistic :lol:)
piccolo41099 wrote:If they make it to the stage of needing teeny tiny shells, I bet everyone on this board will be looking for shells for you. :D
Haha, that would be so nice of you, because I think that shells that small are pretty hard to find here - though I really don't know, I have to take a good look around. Here in Sweden it is hard enough finding a regular medium-sized turbo though. :roll: But if they would get to that stage, it's still several months away, so I have a lot of time to look around. :P For now, I'm just so focused on repeatedly changing their water like every other hour, and feed them (and being worried of overfeeding them) that any needs of shells for these little guys feels completely unreal. :D
C. brevimanus
C. rugosus
C. clypeatus
C. cavipes
C. violascens

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:28 pm

Here's a paper on how compressus larvae were raised in a lab. It details the different stages and the time-frame, so even though it's not the same species it should give you an idea of what to expect. (They took already egg-laden females from the wild though.)

http://si-pddr.si.edu/dspace/bitstream/ ... Harvey.pdf
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

piccolo41099

Post by piccolo41099 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:30 pm

That crab is TINY!!!!!!

Charper

Post by Charper » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:07 pm

This is so AMAZING! :)
7 PPs in a 29 Gallon Crabitat + 1 Golden Retriever - Ginger
In memory of Snowy (In my profile pic)

Hermycrabitat21

Post by Hermycrabitat21 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:38 pm

now I'm going to be checking my hermits water bowls more in dept now.... lol!! please keep us updated!! i will now be watching this thread! hehehehe
Started Crabin December 2010, Currently as of 11/2018 I have 12 PP's & 1 E.
Crabs leave pincher prints on our hearts<3

Topic author
SojMad

Post by SojMad » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:44 pm

wodesorel wrote:Here's a paper on how compressus larvae were raised in a lab. It details the different stages and the time-frame, so even though it's not the same species it should give you an idea of what to expect. (They took already egg-laden females from the wild though.)

http://si-pddr.si.edu/dspace/bitstream/ ... Harvey.pdf
Thank you! Wow, that was a lot of text. xD I am way too tired to read all of that tonight, but i read the beginnig, and they fed the zoeae with newly hatched Artemia nauplii. Should I feed mine with that? (Yikes, I know NOTHING about Artemia) So phytoplankton isn't everything they need?
C. brevimanus
C. rugosus
C. clypeatus
C. cavipes
C. violascens