Crack In My Tank

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
ErikRasmussen

Crack In My Tank

Post by ErikRasmussen » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:37 pm

I was moving some substrate around since all my crabs are up now to fluff it up and what not and I noticed on the shorter side of my 40GB a crack running along the entire side. It is thick enough to where i can push on it and feel it wobble but it is still holding all the substrate without problems. Idk how it got there. Should i be looking for a new tank? Is there any way to repair it? Any other suggestions?

CallaLily

Re: Crack In My Tank

Post by CallaLily » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:45 pm

That stinks. :( I imagine it'll need replacing.
Is there a lamp shining on that side?

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:06 am

If i were in your situation, i would think "this is the perfect excuse for an upgrade!!!!"
But if you are not as wreckless as i am... The first thing i imagined was "what if he siliconed a piece of glass over that entire side? Would the silicone be smooth and flawless, after he presses the glass evenly? How should he block the fumes from entering the tat? How much heartburn would it be to see duct tape all over the side of the tank? Does he know a 65g is the same footprint as a 40gb but with 25 inches in height? How can i crack my 75g in order to have an excuse to get the 110g?"
Before i get too carried awayyyyy.. Getting a new tank is probably the least headachey way of resolving the crack issue. I don't think it is holding the sub without any problems, just that the sub tends to weigh more down than out, and can even hold itself up (sandcastle consistency at its finest). But one wrong bump or a forgetful lean could mean buckets of sub all over your room and a crumbling horror of a bad day.
I recommend: capitalize on a chance to make a great upgrade, and invest in the prevention of an ordeal that no crabber ever wants to face.

Crabbers unite!!!

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:12 am

BTW if you cant afford to upgrade or replace for now, i recommend going the tote route in the mean time. Then you can EITHER try to get the tank fixed, OR you can save up until the next $1/gal sale and score at least another 40gb..

Crabbers unite!!!

hermieluv1

Post by hermieluv1 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:57 am

You think lime I do! Upgrade!

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:38 am

I found out that I had a - large - crack on the back of my tank recently. Never noticed it was there until a few months ago - ok 6... But the months go so fast! - and works fine. :) So far the tank has been holding shape. *Touch wood*
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:32 am

When Lizard Ninja's tank cracked - and not just one crack, several spread across one side of the front (thanks to "not me!" and his soccer ball), he did live there for a few months before we could get him moved to another tank. Mind you, leopard geckos don't have deep, heavy substrate (paper towels actually).
A temporary tote until you can repair or buy another sounds like a good solution that would be easier on your pocket. I've never done it before and don't have an idea on cost, but could you (after moving the crabs to a tote) just replace that piece of glass? Unless of course you can and want to use it as an excuse to upgrade. ;)

Topic author
ErikRasmussen

Post by ErikRasmussen » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:57 pm

The thing is, this was my upgrade. And yeah those where all the ideas I had. I wouldnt mind seeing duct tape on it because that side is also covered with a mylar blanket. But i like the idea of siliconing another piece of glass. I think doing that to the outside might reinforce it enough.

When i was using a lamp it was shining on the front. But i did notice the crack starts on the front corner and it may have just spread along the back. I vaguely remember something about warranty when i upgraded at petco. But if that doesnt work the silicone and glass will have to do and ill keep my eye out on craigslist.

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:24 pm

If you do silicone on glass you will need to find some way to manage the fumes. Please be careful, for you and your crabs!

Crabbers unite!!!

singlemomwithcrab

Post by singlemomwithcrab » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:30 pm

They still have the $1 per gallon going at Pet Supplies Plus

http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... us#p942580
"Do or Do Not. There is no try"
50 PPs, 1 E

Topic author
ErikRasmussen

Post by ErikRasmussen » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:29 pm

Yeah i noticed that. The only thing is that with those sales, with tax and the lid you end up paying the same amount as you normally would.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:54 am

By the time you bought a piece of glass and the silicone and go through the hassle of patching it (which does work for non-water purposes), it would be easier and possibly cheaper to buy another 40 gallon for $40 and just swapping them out. You could always sell the broken one on craigslist to a reptile keeper for half-price ($20) and make some money back.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
ErikRasmussen

Post by ErikRasmussen » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:18 pm

I already have glass and hot glue/Silicone. And i have never been able to find a tank for an equal $/g price. But at the moment it seems to be OK. So i think i have time to look for one.

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:01 pm

ErikRasmussen wrote: The only thing is that with those sales, with tax and the lid you end up paying the same amount as you normally would.
My 40 Breeder that I purchased during Petco's $1 per gallon sale was originally listed at $114.99. A Zilla Fresh Air Terrarium Screen Cover for that size is $20.68. I see a 40B terrarium kit online, lid included for $114.99 too (PETsMART). I realize I'm not used to factoring in sales tax but I guess I'm just a little confused by your statement.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:03 pm

I am confused, too. I bought a 55 gallon that cost $55 plus tax at their sale. You don't have to purchase a lid or anything else.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram