Water Filters

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
sarahlee1985

Water Filters

Post by sarahlee1985 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:54 pm

Is it necessary to have water filters in your crabs pools? I am new to crabs and I will be getting 3 crabs to put into a 20 gal tank. Do I need to filter their pools? I see so many people talking about it and wasn't sure if it was a necessity or just preference. What are the pros and cons?

megmaholm

Re: Water Filters

Post by megmaholm » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:17 pm

Most people who do filters are running large pools in big tanks. It's easier for them since they don't have to do frequent water changes, which can be awkward in big pools.

Personally, I just use Tupperware containers for my water dishes and change them about every other day. For a tank your size, you won't have room for huge pools so shouldn't need to worry about filters :)

One thing you might consider is installing bubblers in you water dishes. A lot of crabs love the bubbles and show more interest in gently moving water. Plus, it can help potentially boost your humidity.
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.

Topic author
sarahlee1985

Re: Water Filters

Post by sarahlee1985 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:06 pm

Thank you! I didn't think I needed one but I was worried I was missing something. I want my crabs to be as happy as they can be when I get them so I am trying to set up the best habitat I can for the size I have. I'm super excited to get these little guys!