11 crabs up for adoption...possible?

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
Rawrgeous

11 crabs up for adoption...possible?

Post by Rawrgeous » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:31 am

So last week, a lady contacted me about completing an adoption. This woman has 11 crabs she wants me to adopt. I currently have 6 in my 55 gallon. Three tiny to small, two small medium, and one large medium. I just feel like that's a lot of crabs....I know several have more, but 16 in one tank seems like way top much for me...and from what it looks like they are shoved in a 10 gallon. Gah. Its a two hour drive, funds are low right now cuz I'm switching jobs...and while the idea of uptake of one or two tanks is okay, I really don't want to do 3. That looks to be a 10, and my only extra is a 10. Plus, shells.... I don't know where to get shells for 11 crabs...sounds expensive, and shell envy is real..I don't want to leave them though. Ugh, I can't help but be a tiny bit annoyed. Who goes and gets 11 of a pet they know nothing about? I know people don't think of it that way but gah. This is the pic she sent me. Image Sooo many crabs in a small space. Advice guys? Is the 55 big enough? So torn. Heart hurts for the little guys.

Sent from my VS415PP using Tapatalk

Krusty Krab

Re: 11 crabs up for adoption...possible?

Post by Krusty Krab » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:00 am

Aw. The hermies are so cute. I just want to drive over there and get them. But I only have a 20 gal. My folks would NOT like me having 13 crabs. You would probably have enough room, but 11 more crabs is A LOT. Good luck with whatever decision you make!!!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

jasonmom

Post by jasonmom » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:03 am

Tough decision. I've got too many in my tank (18 small/small-medium PPs in a 40 gallon) and know I'll have to get another tank or bigger tank or probably both. When I got mine I expected some to pass from PPS (got them from store @ Myrtle Beach). Have been surprised that I don't believe any have died and we are about six months out. Last month we had 14 up at one time; didn't notice any problems except Brutus would throw the smaller crabs out of the food dish. But he does that if there is only 2 up. I have never bathed them. I don't isolate them when they molt. No problems thus far.

But, if you can't afford to treat them the way you want to it might make you not enjoy them. But if you don't adopt them, someone who knows less about what they need may end up with them. This is one of those that is glass half full/empty.

If you do get them remember to keep protein in the dish at all times, can't remember who told me this, but someone told me this was important and I've done it. I change up the food every day and make sure there is always protein in there.

Whatever you choose, good luck.

:hello2:

Topic author
Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:36 am

I don't think I'd house them all together....dollar per Gallon sale is coming....I don't know. Like I said I'm torn. They always have protein anyways, in,fact I probably over do the food lol. I also feel introducing that many crabs to my current ones would be stressful on them. We'll see...

Candie

Post by Candie » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:55 am

Does the lady want to get rid of them together or can she separate them?

Topic author
Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:07 pm

The ad she linked me to said all goes..and I couldn't just take some and leave the rest.

Candie

Post by Candie » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:10 pm

Hmm this is a tricky one, it'll be hard to find someone with enough room for 11, I only have a 20 long and room for 2 more

Tala

Post by Tala » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:11 pm

Where are they located?
9 PPs (Sandy, Shelly, Franklin, Max Jr., Gusgus, Digdug, Steve, General Crabbington, & Ol' Lady Crabbington)
4 kitties & 2 pups! :)

Topic author
Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:21 pm

She is in Omaha, NE. I wish I knew more crabbers in this area!! lol

MamaKelly

Post by MamaKelly » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:27 pm

I'm in central Missouri, but I don't think my husband would be up for a 5 hour drive for hermit crabs. I am lobbying for a bigger tank though :)

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

Tala

Post by Tala » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:27 pm

Haha, me too! I have the same problem here in Arkansas.
On the off chance they were nearby I was going to offer.. I have a 75gal with 9 PPs and would possibly have the room.
9 PPs (Sandy, Shelly, Franklin, Max Jr., Gusgus, Digdug, Steve, General Crabbington, & Ol' Lady Crabbington)

Tala

Post by Tala » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:29 pm

Heyyy Missouri-- that's closer to Arkansas than most I've seen, haha

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:09 pm

Tote tank for two months until the weather warms up to ship them? You could probably get away with the big ones in the 55 and up to 6 tinys in the 10 gallon even.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

singlemomwithcrab

Post by singlemomwithcrab » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:07 pm

if you need shells i can donate for a good cause...food too...pm me if you decide to go for it and need supplies
"Do or Do Not. There is no try"
50 PPs, 1 E

Topic author
Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:19 pm

singlemomwithcrab wrote:if you need shells i can donate for a good cause...food too...pm me if you decide to go for it and need supplies
Awh. That is so sweet of you! I honestly am not worried about the food stuff, I have a bunch in the freezer, and dried items too, but shells....that might be another story. I have a tiny bit of extra cash this week though, so I'm going to see what I can do.