Reptile Hood Questions

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
PinchersAndShells

Reptile Hood Questions

Post by PinchersAndShells » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:02 am

Okay, so I am planning on getting a reptile hood, one that you can use heat bulbs in, because the weather and atmosphere here is up and down and I never get to my desired temp (around 80). I have a 20 gallon long tank, which the dimensions are about 30 in long, and 12.5 in wide. I cannot find a hood that is about half of the width and the exact length, but I have found one that holds two bulbs in (usually one being a daytime and one being a nighttime bulb,) and is 20 in long, and 4 in tall. Do you guys think that if I set it on top of my screen and cover the rest of the screen it would work okay?

//EDIT: Yes, this is for my hermit crabs.//
Last edited by PinchersAndShells on Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Merle, Seasalt, & Elvis
2 Captive Bred PPs = Randy & Roxie
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Reptile Hood Questions

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:18 am

Are you sure that the one your looking at can hold a heat bulb? Most heat bulbs are encased in a ceramic casing or at least, the socket isn't plastic (where it could melt)... But if its fine to hold a heat bulb, I sure leaving the section where the bulbs are uncovered will be fine, many crabbers do the same. Just keep an eye on humidity.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:41 am

aussieJJDude wrote:Are you sure that the one your looking at can hold a heat bulb? Most heat bulbs are encased in a ceramic casing or at least, the socket isn't plastic (where it could melt)... But if its fine to hold a heat bulb, I sure leaving the section where the bulbs are uncovered will be fine, many crabbers do the same. Just keep an eye on humidity.
Yes, the website that I found it on (Amazon), states that it has ceramic sockets to hold the bulbs in. I made sure that the ones I looked at wouldn't melt on my poor hermies.
In case you want to verify, it's called "Zilla Incandescent 20" Dual Bulb Reptile Fixture."

MsWorld

Post by MsWorld » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:05 am

I have reptile hoods because I've got bearded dragons are you looking to get a CHE - ceramic heat emitter? Or just a heat bulb? I can help you in the reptile department.

Topic author
PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:52 am

MsWorld wrote:I have reptile hoods because I've got bearded dragons are you looking to get a CHE - ceramic heat emitter? Or just a heat bulb? I can help you in the reptile department.
I'm not quite sure, but I'm thinking it's probably going to be heat bulbs. I'm just confused as to how I should set the hood/fixture on, because I cannot find one that would fit my tank exact and be heat resistant, so I'm wondering how I should go about the situation. Should I just set the light on top of the screen lid I have, or cut the lid to the point where the fixture can sit but not fall through.

MsWorld

Post by MsWorld » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:07 am

I have this light/lamp stands that I bought to bring up the lights because at times I need to lower his temps so this way I can bring it up.

You can raise and lower the lamps as you please. Or you can get the fixture with the clamp on it

Hope this helps. I got these at drsfosterandsmith.com

MsWorld

Post by MsWorld » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:09 am

They have both lamp stands for sale - one that you can attach to the side of the tank and one you can put under your tank.

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:06 am

I would strongly recommend an Ultratherm, as heat lamps can sap your humidity.

Sent from my LGLS665 using Tapatalk

Topic author
PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:16 pm

soilentgringa wrote:I would strongly recommend an Ultratherm, as heat lamps can sap your humidity.

Sent from my LGLS665 using Tapatalk
Actually, after doing a bit of sifting through the posts on the website, I decided that I am going to be using an Ultratherm, (and an aquarium hood with fluorescent lights during the day) thank you! :D