My big boy is molting.

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
turkey the crab

My big boy is molting.

Post by turkey the crab » Mon May 28, 2012 3:22 pm

My first and largest crab, Legs, is down for his 1st molt. After this, all of my crabs will have had successful molts. Hopefully his molt won't be as complicated as my E's molt. Quick questions, do crabs usually switch shells after molts? Legs has been in the same shell since i got him (6 months). and He is a larger medium pp so how long should it take him to molt?
2 Purple Pinchers: Legs and Mochi

R.I.P Turkey (PP), Norbert (E), Butter (PP)

goodmorningmylove

Re: My big boy is molting.

Post by goodmorningmylove » Mon May 28, 2012 3:30 pm

They don't always change shells. Toni molted 3 times before he changed shells, Tini molted twice before he changed. It really just depends on how much they grow/what they feel like doing.

As far as how long it should take...it depends on the crab. Could be a few weeks, could be a month or more.
2 PPs:
Rigatoni (Toni); August 1, 2010; 7 molts.
Rotini (Tini); February 18, 2011; 6 molts.

1 Betta:
Ziti.

4 Welsummer Bantams:
3 Hens: Barbina, Pastina, and Stelline (Stella).
1 Rooster: Tortelloni (Loni).

http://acrabslifetolive.tumblr.com

GudaHermitCrab

Re: My big boy is molting.

Post by GudaHermitCrab » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:53 pm

My medium-sized PP took about (I'm estimating) 3 or possibly 4 days buried. However, it will take days or weeks for them to get stronger again. Their new exoskeleton needs to harden. It really depends on the crab.

No, crabs do not always switch shells after molts. The truth is, they switch whenever they feel like it!
Proud owner of 3 Purple Pinchers: Guda (2 molts), Kermit, Sebastian (1 molt)

~Crabby since September 2011~