Tank topper

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
Nicole00

Tank topper

Post by Nicole00 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:16 am

I’m wanting to make a topper for my tank but I couldn’t find any information or videos on it. Can y’all give suggestions on what to do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hermielover121

Re: Tank topper

Post by Hermielover121 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:25 pm

Here is my old 20 gallon with a 2.5 gallon topper Image
The tank wasn’t very big and it’s kind of hard to see in the photo but all I did was line it up and use duct tape to hold it together and Velcro is also another good option. I know there’s a few other people that have much bigger tanks with toppers so wait to see if they reply to this too. Hope this helped

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:25 am

Hermielover121 wrote:Here is my old 20 gallon with a 2.5 gallon topper Image
The tank wasn’t very big and it’s kind of hard to see in the photo but all I did was line it up and use duct tape to hold it together and Velcro is also another good option. I know there’s a few other people that have much bigger tanks with toppers so wait to see if they reply to this too. Hope this helped

Pretty much even with large toppers they do what you did ^_^ many recommend that the toppers tank is at least the same width as the tank on the bottom, as it's a lot easier to work with (and cleaner IMO) tanks of all least the same width or width and length.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

KrankyKrab

Post by KrankyKrab » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:12 pm

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202001 ... 5a8bb3.jpg

Yeh I have not idea if my pic uploaded. LOL But search Topper Limit - i have the pic in there.

I used weather stripping between the top and bottom to retain moisture and prevent little claws from reaching out into the "wild". The outside is secured with black duct tape. It held great considering I finally disassembled this weekend to prep for an upgrade - with a bit of aggravation.

The other side I used Lexan (plexiglass bends too much). The lexan is supported with an aluminum frame thats used for screens.

crabbycasey

Post by crabbycasey » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:02 pm

I love your tank...and the topper! Gonna have to look into these, have no idea how they’re done...but they’re awesome!