Moss pit and pool locations??

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
Hermit199013

Post by Hermit199013 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:25 pm

I've been thinking a bit and finally put my pools together and made a moss pit.

The pools are currently drying from the silicone I used on them. Is 24 hour cure time enough to be safe? If not how long should I wait before install?

I made a moss pit think it was 4x6x2
I wasn't sure how big it should be and hung it with large suction cups...and made a ladder/bridge for them to climb in and out..seems to hold very well. But should this be kept away from heater?

And for the pools is middle of tank decent spot? Or is corner near or away from heater best?

Topic author
Hermit199013

Post by Hermit199013 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:25 pm

I've been thinking a bit and finally put my pools together and made a moss pit.

The pools are currently drying from the silicone I used on them. Is 24 hour cure time enough to be safe? If not how long should I wait before install?

I made a moss pit think it was 4x6x2
I wasn't sure how big it should be and hung it with large suction cups...and made a ladder/bridge for them to climb in and out..seems to hold very well. But should this be kept away from heater?

And for the pools is middle of tank decent spot? Or is corner near or away from heater best?

Xenocrab

Re: Moss pit and pool locations??

Post by Xenocrab » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:28 pm

I keep my mosh pit away from the heater. The heat dries the moss out. Post pics!
Water bowls are where I can easily get to them without disturbing the crabbies. We double up the containers so if there's anybody underneath molting, we don't disturb them. I don't understand why you are siliconing the water pools.
Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:25 pm

I try to keep the moss pit away from the heaters. Otherwise they have a tendency to dry out pretty quickly.
The pools are good wherever they are easiest to remove and clean.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
Hermit199013

Post by Hermit199013 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:48 pm

I'm using silicon for the stones to glue them to it similar to what motorcrab did, I also plan to do the cabanas just a little bit differently

I'll work on pics soon storage on this phone barely let's me download any extra apps

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:49 pm

I see! I'm glad my husband's idea inspired you to do something similar! Crabby cabanas!
As far as the 24 hr question. Depending on how much silicone and how your air circulation at your place is, it could take a day to several days. Make sure it's 100% dry and without fumes. Anytime I use silicone, I wait 2-3 days before adding the project into the tank.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:06 pm

On here everyone says a minimum of 24 hours. I think I let mine sit 48 hours. I always like to be conservative and play it safe.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
Hermit199013

Post by Hermit199013 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:08 pm

Well I got 8 cup salt water pool in (i have fresh in dish and still need make another pool) it will be smaller due to 40 gallon tank maybe 2 cup?

Unfortunately humidity is still low. Maybe I bought to small of an air pump??? Its 5-10 gallon from Walmart

Should I upgrade to larger pump? It doesn't splash at all leaving about an inch of space from water level to top of dish... or will second pool with air stone make big difference?

Also have found a glass lid for my tank just haven't bought it yet. What do you all think? This is starting to bug me a good bit

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:44 am

The gauge has been calibrated? What is it currently reading at?

Upgrading to a larger pump may not always be the best outcome. It can increase overspray, which increases the chance of flooding. Likewise, the increase of air circulation within the tank can decrease humidity.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:49 am

Would larger air stones solve that problem maybe? I've been considering it in my 80 because the humidity has been like 72 to 79 lately

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

Scarletfire

Post by Scarletfire » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:33 am

I put my mind on moss pit close to the heater, and I remoisten the moss daily. It gives my humidity a 5% bump that way.

I had a hard time figuring out why my humidity suddenly drops before, but once I figured this out, it's been consistent as long as I remoisten them.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk