Salt and Fresh Water Pool Upgrades! 2.5G Cycled

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
Motörcrab

Re: Saltwater Pool Upgrade! Crabmas in July

Post by Motörcrab » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:28 am

I believe the crabs are really liking the saltwater pool. I have seen several hovering around the top at different times. Ateast one crab is really liking it! For the last three days the same crab has been at the bottom of the pool when I wake up in the morning. Trying to see how long he stays in the water it was about an hour from when he went in until I saw him.

ImageImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Help Improve Our Resources Section (weblinks)
http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 2&t=119315

Once we get more links the directors will update the resources in a few weeks. Thanks!

Hungrytree

Post by Hungrytree » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:54 pm

Motörcrab wrote:I believe the crabs are really liking the saltwater pool. I have seen several hovering around the top at different times. Ateast one crab is really liking it! For the last three days the same crab has been at the bottom of the pool when I wake up in the morning. Trying to see how long he stays in the water it was about an hour from when he went in until I saw him.

ImageImageImage

I love this!!! I’m going to start researching pools like this for my guys. I’ll need a bigger tank than the 29 gallon they are on now but it’s not too early to dream.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:34 pm

I finally managed to upgrade my freshwater pool two weeks ago. I tweaked a few things to try and improve the set up.

I picked up some lava rock for household plants for the background. AussieJJDude suggested this. He was right it took a lot of rinsing to get them clean. The water was completely brown for a while.

The one issue I have with my salt pool is having the filter wanting to float. I combated this by marking where it sits on the rear wall and the base. When I siliconed the lava rock to the back I kept them clear of the filter area. I also siliconed stones to the bottom. My idea is the rear wall will help lock the filter in place. The stones on the bottom also help too. They also keep the loose stones from pushing up the filter.

I also made my top deck larger since the crabs really love hanging out on the salt pool one. I have seen crabs hanging out on top but not in the pool yet. I'll give them more time to explore before changing things up. I think the top may be too large and the restricted ramp may be scaring them from entering the water.

I really think the plastic plants and craft mesh on the ramps make the crabs feel more secure. It gives them more thing to grip and grab.

I also replaced the charcoal in the filter to biological filter media so it will gather good bacteria.

I'm also experimenting with the bio media in standard pools and a few other things in another tank. I'm hoping to achieve a partially cycled pool by creating good bacteria in the bio media. I'm hoping it may increase activity in standard pools.

Just because I could add more pictures. Some of my berries enjoying the saltwater!

Yes, I did notice a big difference in salt water activity after adding the bioactive pool!

Help Improve Our Resources Section (weblinks)
http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 2&t=119315

Once we get more links the directors will update the resources in a few weeks. Thanks!