35 gal customization project

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
Gleasoce

35 gal customization project

Post by Gleasoce » Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:07 pm

Hello! It’s my first time customizing an enclosure, so I thought I’d share what I made for my 35 gallon. If anyone has worked on a similar project before, I’d love to hear some feedback.
This is an insert for my crabitat; the exposed white plastic is 7 inches tall where the substrate will go. Should I cover it with something, or will it be ok for the crabs if I don’t?
The pools have a bubbler that goes through a hole and below, then up to a splitter and into the bubblers. The splitter is metal, but it shouldn’t have a problem with rust, right? I got in the fish tank section at the pet store but idk if that means it’s safe to get wet, or if it’s meant to stay outside the cage. Also, with the aquarium tube exposed underneath and on the side, will my crabs be able to destroy the tubing? They’re crazy at shredding things but maybe someone has experience with this LOL.
I bought extra coconut fiber mat because I’m anticipating how long it will take my crabs to tear those up. I’ve never used this for crabs before, since I’ve always had a net put up instead. They don’t seems to climb the net a lot though, so I figured I’d try this out.
Critique appreciated! I haven’t done more with this yet, so if there’s something I can change about it lmk :) I also made a swinging basket, bamboo hanging ladders, nets, and I have a hamster spinner that is in the other tank where my crabs are living currently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hermitcrablover2
Location: Why do you want to know?... Ok fine SOMEWHERE in California.

Re: 35 gal customization project

Post by hermitcrablover2 » Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:19 pm

Wow! That sounds super cool! If the splitter you have was in the fish section I'm guessing it probably wouldn't rust, but you could check the packet to see what it says, if you don't know for sure, you could probably cover it with galvanize or another rust-preventing/stopping coating. I would probably put something "shred-proof" over the aquarium tube so that the crabs wouldn't break it, or maybe you could try to move the tube to an area where the hermit crabs couldn't get it
2 PP's (Boba and Blue), 1 Dog (Coco)

"Eateth. Thy. WORDS." - Donatello, ROTTMNT

Pumpkincrab

Post by Pumpkincrab » Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:25 pm

That's really cool! I like the water pools :)

I'd recommend getting a plastic splitter for the bubblers. I used to have a metal one too and it either started to rust or just got really funky...and I don't want my crabs exposed to metal, but that's just me.
I think the exposed plastic should be fine....just as long as they can't get under it and become stuck. Looking great so far! Show us pics when it's completed!
Hi! Feel free to check out TheGourmetCrab here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheGourmetCra ... ugg_market
Owner of 4 purple pincher hermit crabs in a 55g tank.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:10 am

Exposed eggcrate is fine! If you have any eggcrate left over, highly recommend making some levels out of it and making the background a little junglegym to climb all over, pop shells in ect. Can even line it with the coconut fibre matting to help blend it all in!

(Also recommend some plastic vines ziptied onto the background, but that's me being a little OTT!!)
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

___TigerLily___

Post by ___TigerLily___ » Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:46 pm

Wow, love this! May I ask where you purchased the eggcrate?? I love finding new ways to keep the water dishes off the ground and may try making something similar. Very creative. :)

Jlmills525

Post by Jlmills525 » Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:12 pm

you can get eggcrate at lowe's or menards.. it's basically industrial ceiling light covers
Wife, Mom, WoW player since Vanilla - Alliance Main
3 PPS - Eugene, Sheldon, Bortus
1 dog - Maggie
1 cat - Weston

___TigerLily___

Post by ___TigerLily___ » Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:31 pm

Jlmills525 wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:12 pm
you can get eggcrate at lowe's or menards.. it's basically industrial ceiling light covers
Thank you!