my crabitat build photo journal!!

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

kgbenson

Post by kgbenson » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:53 am

curious_kitty wrote:OK,, my branches arrived yesterday, and I took pictures of them this morning. I think I will put pieces of smaller branches onto a larger piece to make a tree!
Nice wood - where did you order from?

Keith

Topic author
curious_kitty

Post by curious_kitty » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:17 am

kgbenson wrote: Nice wood - where did you order from?
Keith
they are Ghostwood- or manzanita tree trunks... they are very dense, and are not supposed to mold in vivarium/terrarium.
http://www.save-on-crafts.com/ghostwood.html
http://www.save-on-crafts.com/ghostwood2.html
I got them here.. very reasonable price for ghostwoods. They can get pricey.
Godmother to two tuxedo cats, PPs and Es, violas, indos, strawberries and ruggies, Wifey to one VERY patient hubby
200g crabitank under construction started on 4/10/2010

Topic author
curious_kitty

Post by curious_kitty » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:40 am

limeslide wrote:Nice tat!
What lights are you using on that tank?
the reddish light you see in that picture is infrared light. I will be replacing that with 75W Moon-Glo, and daylight is supplemented with lights from Ah supply. I will have four 55W power compact lights(from AH supply). And also the window side of the tat has natural morning/afternoon sunlight, so that will also help to supplement lighting into the tat
:)
Two sets of these babies,

My brom. plants arrived yesterday too- I am still waiting on ferns, and mosses because they were ordered from different place.

and here is the tat this morning- three gallons of Titebond III arrived yesterday, and I worked on covering the foams little more last night. vertical areas were difficult and I think I migt have to make a thicker paste later today. I know its not much, but I figure its always fun to see a bit of transformation via pictures!
Godmother to two tuxedo cats, PPs and Es, violas, indos, strawberries and ruggies, Wifey to one VERY patient hubby

aquav

Post by aquav » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:43 pm

Keep posting!!! This has to be the most exciting thread on the forum right now!

Topic author
curious_kitty

Post by curious_kitty » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:07 pm

:D ok, more pictures that I took this morning, but didn't include in earlier post, I will post :)

hlhiggs87

Post by hlhiggs87 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:24 pm

I love the new pictures! It's really coming together :)
3 Cats- Teddy, Pippa, and baby Maggie
4 Parakeets - Baby, Kate, Jayden, and Jordan
11 PPs- Carly, Mr.Pinch, Henrietta, Lucky, April, Arwen, Hermione, Brian, Nemo, Dasher, and Noel

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:19 pm

WOW! That looks amazing! I wish I had the time and space to build something like that! :D

Dog Lips

Post by Dog Lips » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:11 pm

Hey mods, dare I say, a sticky of this thread is in order. This thread is awesome, and i don't want it disappearing into nothingness of the archives :(
^^^^^^^^^^^^|II ___
| ______________ l '|""";..,l ____
|_…_…______===|= _|__|…, ] |=
"(@ )'(@ )""""*|(@ )(@ )*****(@)

aquav

Post by aquav » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:25 pm

Dog Lips wrote:Hey mods, dare I say, a sticky of this thread is in order. This thread is awesome, and i don't want it disappearing into nothingness of the archives :(

I agree. There is a lot of useful information in this thread.

Dog Lips

Post by Dog Lips » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:30 pm

Indeed
^^^^^^^^^^^^|II ___
| ______________ l '|""";..,l ____
|_…_…______===|= _|__|…, ] |=
"(@ )'(@ )""""*|(@ )(@ )*****(@)

Topic author
curious_kitty

Post by curious_kitty » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:15 pm

what's a sticky? I got home earlier than usual, and started to work on the ledges, and patching. This time, I made the Cocofiber paste a little bit thicker than usual, and it worked out well- and I made a lot of progress on details on the ledges :)

I think I can probably finish adding the rest of the ledges/shelves, and let that dry- and work placing on misting nozzles, and lights above...... I got rest of the ferns, and still waiting on babytears plants(not yet arrived..), and need to get som live moss. I will try to take a better picture tomorrow morning for you guys!

Topic author
curious_kitty

Post by curious_kitty » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:04 am

oki, my radiant heater broke yesterday , after only four months of use.. and the cocofibre substrate is taking abit of time to dry- with heater on over night towards the enclosure, it used to dry about 50% by the morning. Its still bit soft this morning without the heater. I do have a ceramic heater I use for room where I keep my tanks. So i think I am going to have to borrow one from there. I did get my ferns yesterday, and are soaking in water for a bit to spruce them up from shipping damage.

hlhiggs87

Post by hlhiggs87 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:51 pm

A sticky would allow this post to stay at the top of the page so everyone can read it.
3 Cats- Teddy, Pippa, and baby Maggie
4 Parakeets - Baby, Kate, Jayden, and Jordan
11 PPs- Carly, Mr.Pinch, Henrietta, Lucky, April, Arwen, Hermione, Brian, Nemo, Dasher, and Noel

Topic author
curious_kitty

Post by curious_kitty » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:35 pm

Ohh i see. I am sure people can always do search, or PM me if they had any questions about the project too~!
soo, I put bunch of pieces together into a tree!
looks like I am staying in on friday night.

emberfusion

Post by emberfusion » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:41 pm

Oh! I love it so far! :hearts:

I'm sure the crabs are going to be in heaven when it's all ready to go.