Finally Gave In

For discussion and photos of all of the non-hermit crab pets we hold dear, including other crab species.

Topic author
landlubber

Finally Gave In

Post by landlubber » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:03 pm

My husband has wanted this dog since we moved here. She was living with a foster who adored her, but hoped she would live with someone with a disability and become a service dog because she felt that is where the dog's potential lies. This dog had another owner for almost a year when she was given back to the rescue because her owners were getting divorced and didn't think they would have time for the dog going forward.

I met her last night and just fell head over heels. She has the most awesome disposition! Sweet as can be, she is a pocket pitbull (mix with something else) and she is blind (has been since birth) and has some kind of facial tick that makes her look like she's growling even when she's not. Isn't the idea of a blind service dog just the best thing ever? I love it!

This is Mugsy. I won't be changing her name because recall really helps her navigate when she's lost you so I won't bother teaching her a new name. Iris, my little survivor, was so excited she thought we brought Mugsy home just for her. So funny, Mugs was trying to map out the house, and all Iris was doing was blocking her with play bows, running in circles, jumping over Mugs - anything she could think of to get Mugs to join in-but Mugs had an agenda that didn't include Iris.

Mugsy is amazing. I think she would have the temperament for being trained as a service dog (which is our intention). She is very confident, relaxed, curious but cautious. She has no idea she is different from anyone else.
6 PPs, 4 Straws, 3 Es * 1 Teeny, 6 Smalls, 4 Mediums, 1 large and 1 Jumbo in a 70 gallon
1 Boxer puppy, 1 Yorchie mutt, 1 cat, 1 ball python, 1 boa

Crabinski

Re: Finally Gave In

Post by Crabinski » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:28 pm

She's beautiful! I love her markings and that sweet, sweet face :love7: . She might be a candidate for service as a therapy dog, making visits to hospitals, children's crisis centers, etc. -- the fact that she's blind from birth and does just fine would certainly be reassuring to those (especially kids) facing medical and/or emotional difficulties.

My dog, Arwen the Boo, is also a "pocket pitbull": in her case, Mama was a long-haired dachshund and Daddy a pitbull. Doesn't sound like a pretty combination but she's beautiful!
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

Topic author
landlubber

Post by landlubber » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:36 pm

I love that idea of a blind therapy/service dog-that she can show people that a disability can be adapted to, and that calm, easy-going, happy personality she has would be a comfort to others I'm sure. It would be especially great as a service dog (my H has a seizure disorder and PTSD) to have a blind service dog-the idea that a dog with a disability can help someone cope with and heal from a disability speaks so loudly as to the how the spirit can overcome any obstacles and that disabilities do not mean there isn't a lot there to offer and value.

It is really interesting to watch how she has adapted to her impairment. It is of course clear she is blind because of the no-eyes thing (Iris keeps staring her in the face-which she normally doesn't do to other dogs-trying to figure out where Mugs eyes are LOL) but otherwise no one would guess quickly. She came in the house and cautiously mapped it, so there was very little bumps to her head as she figured it out. I watched her on the bed (I helped her off couches and beds her first times up there because she seemed unsure how far the drop was-but she's got it now) find all the edges, and once she did she knew where to stop. I find it fascinating that she tilts her head up at me to "look at me" when she's never had any vision. Why does she do that not being able to see my face, and how did she learn it without seeing it modeled? I'm guessing it has something to do with hearing and the positioning of the ears, maybe it's instinctive, but I don't know.....But she "looks at you," especially when you first enter the room and she's not sure who just arrived, she tilts her head up to where she thinks you are and waits for you to speak.

Her sense of smell is like FREAKY. Her foster said Mugsy was "food motivated." Well, that put a positive spin on it. She goes from a calm, content dog to a frenzied dog when she smells food. She has a lot of training to do before she's ready to do something like go to a restaurant with us.

I also think she's beautiful! I never thought I'd have a pit, not that I have any issues with pits, they just aren't a breed of dog I get excited about (and the giant breeds are my favorites generally). Her coat is so pretty. I've been calling her Mugsy Moo because of her markings that look like a cow. :)
6 PPs, 4 Straws, 3 Es * 1 Teeny, 6 Smalls, 4 Mediums, 1 large and 1 Jumbo in a 70 gallon

JulesRolyCrab

Post by JulesRolyCrab » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:31 pm

Oh my gosh

This is amazing. You are amazing for taking her in, she is so precious. :love:: I am so glad Iris has another dog now. Dogs are a bit foreign to me, but she is adorable. I think it would be amazing if she could be a therapeutic or service dog.

Topic author
landlubber

Post by landlubber » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:23 pm

I've adopted dogs that were lucky to have found just the right fit-but with Mugsy WE are the lucky ones, anyone who met her would love her. Iris loves having her around for sure.

My H has been doing all this research on service dogs (she's already been registered actually). However, establishments can ask service dogs to leave if they are disruptive. I've trained dogs to the level of passing the Canine Good Citizenship Certification which is the first step towards a dog doing therapy work at hospitals and such, but never anything service related as far as for specific disabilities and assistance. But of course he wants me to come up with the training protocols for service work training. This is probably around a year's training which I was not looking to take on this kind of project right now and I've never done it before. And of course Hubby is turning on the charm, telling me what a great dog trainer I am because he knows how effective flattery is on me. :roll: (has he already forgotten the training failure who annoys us daily named Iris???) Still, I think he's perfectly capable of doing it and SHOULD do it all himself. At this point Mugs has had NO training at all. She doesn't even know the sit command-all that's ever been required of her is that she be sweet and cute, and she is both of those things in spades! The previous people she's lived with DID do a AMAZING job socializing her. She has the confidence of a dog that has been in many scenarios which always came up roses for her, ya know?

Here's some more pics, including one before the surgery to remove her eyeballs.

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:10 pm

Why were her eyes removed? I know you said she was blind at birth but that alone doesn't seem to be a reason for surgery so I was curious as to why. Infection?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

Topic author
landlubber

Post by landlubber » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:48 pm

Well, technically she never had eyeballs because cysts grew there instead. She was born with congenital cystic eyeballs, which basically means in utero her eyeballs never developed and filled up with fluid instead. Her sister was born with one of her eyes this way as well, while two males in the litter were deaf. So whatever got to mama (a pitbull/American bulldog mix and gorgeous) made for poorly bred babies. So that's why they were removed-they were actually cysts not really eyeballs. My H has been following this litter on Facebook since they were all born. The other dogs are all successfully adopted out.

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:53 pm

She's beautiful, and so snuggly looking! I love pitbulls. :)
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.

Topic author
landlubber

Post by landlubber » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:38 pm

Thanks Meg! Those pitbull cheeks, or probably more accurately jaw muscles are really something. None of my dogs (and I love those powerful breeds) ever had muscles there like that! I love rubbing them! She is just perfect.

JulesRolyCrab

Post by JulesRolyCrab » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:37 pm

Aw, the way she turns her head in every pic.... :hearts:

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:55 pm

She is adorable.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

Topic author
landlubber

Post by landlubber » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:19 pm

Thanks Kelly! I have delt with alot of dogs in my life between owning, volunteering and training and she is special, her personality is just lovely. She reminds me a lot of Lucas, my deaf great dane, only as wild as he was she is calm. Just the same pure joy in life, the confidence, her sociability.

Many people say that dogs with sight or hearing impairments lack social skills because their impairment makes them unable to see or hear social cues from other dogs. Or that other dogs will sense something is wrong and pick on the dog. I don't buy it for a second. Mugs social skills are top notch, and Lucas social skills were beyond any dog I'd ever met. He always handled situations perfectly every time. I used to use him to help rehabilitate dogs with dog on dog aggression because he was just THAT good. And pretty indestructible and physically intimidating, but Lucas would get down on the ground to meet small dogs so he was less intimidating. He was amazing in that regard.

@ Jules, I know right? She's looking at you. :smt080