Chameleon

For discussion and photos of all of the non-hermit crab pets we hold dear, including other crab species.

Topic author
Jamison

Chameleon

Post by Jamison » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:41 pm

My dad really wants either a bearded dragon or a chameleon. I know that a dragon can't, but can his chameleon live with my crabs?
2 purple pinchers
1 old dog

I will miss you Lloyd! Good luck up In Hermie Heaven!
You to Hagrid!

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Chameleon

Post by wodesorel » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:48 pm

Nope. Chameleons require really specialized care and get sick easily, they should never be mixed with any other animals. Their requirements for misting and dripping water would flood out a molting crab easily, and the crabs could seriously harm them as chams sleep during the entire night. There would be no way to give both species the safety they need to thrive.

My advice, if you want an interactive lizard that can be handled, go with the beardie. Chameleons are a look at and spend money on pet! I rehabbed a cham a few years ago and would never have one again. Too much worry about making sure they stay hydrated and well fed, and they don't live very long either.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:33 pm

wodesorel wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:48 pm
Nope. Chameleons require really specialized care and get sick easily, they should never be mixed with any other animals. Their requirements for misting and dripping water would flood out a molting crab easily, and the crabs could seriously harm them as chams sleep during the entire night. There would be no way to give both species the safety they need to thrive.

My advice, if you want an interactive lizard that can be handled, go with the beardie. Chameleons are a look at and spend money on pet! I rehabbed a cham a few years ago and would never have one again. Too much worry about making sure they stay hydrated and well fed, and they don't live very long either.
*Even then, keep the dragon is a separate tank!

If he wants a lizard and doesn't have a large amount of space, a gecko might be a suitable alternative - even if its not as interactive as a beardie!
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
Jamison

Post by Jamison » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:23 pm

Ok thanks for the advice!
2 purple pinchers
1 old dog

I will miss you Lloyd! Good luck up In Hermie Heaven!
You to Hagrid!