Shells!

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

Topic author
RiNiKy506

Shells!

Post by RiNiKy506 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:17 pm

A few of my shells finally came and within 10 minutes 2 had changed! “Salty” is still checking all the shells out
I wish I would have sat and watched I could have possibly witnessed it bc she/he was checking them all out as soon as I put them in there

Here’s Rod in his new shell

As I was typing she/he just changed into Rod’s old shell!! This is amazing!!! I shldn’t have been typing and I could have seen that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fandt94

Re: Shells!

Post by fandt94 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:05 pm

That’s awesome! I got a video of one of mine changing shells...it was so cool!!!
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

Topic author
RiNiKy506

Shells!

Post by RiNiKy506 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:21 am

fandt94 wrote:That’s awesome! I got a video of one of mine changing shells...it was so cool!!!
That is so cool!!! More shells came in the mail today, I’m going to watch them after I put them in there tonight instead of just walking away. I was just surprised they weren’t shy at all, I thought that was something they did in private. I want to see how well my son’s generic go-pro records at night and try record them at night. They are so interesting to watch! I think I’m obsessed!
Edit: Are you supposed to boil the shells before using? I didn’t boil the ones I put in there last night but I did rinse them in saltwater. I was scared to ruin them.

Sent from my iPhoneX using Tapatalk

Topic author
RiNiKy506

Shells!

Post by RiNiKy506 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:07 am

Salty cannot seem to figure out which shell he likes, he was back in the one new shell this morning, now he’s back into Rod’s old shell. I didn’t realized they changed so much. Is this normal for them to change back and forth so many times?

Edit: I just got to witness a shell change! He just tried another one on! I am in absolute amazement! I couldn’t wait to add the 3 new shells and he was checking them out so I waited and watched. I had bought these shells for Rod but Salty seems to be into them a lot more. I thought they were far enough away in shell sizes but I guess not. I can’t wait until all my shells get here for them.

♡Rod ♡Salty ♡Bubbles(Bob)♡Squirt ♡Crabina(Peanut)♡
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers »-♡->

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:38 am

RiNiKy506 wrote:
fandt94 wrote:That’s awesome! I got a video of one of mine changing shells...it was so cool!!!
That is so cool!!! More shells came in the mail today, I’m going to watch them after I put them in there tonight instead of just walking away. I was just surprised they weren’t shy at all, I thought that was something they did in private. I want to see how well my son’s generic go-pro records at night and try record them at night. They are so interesting to watch! I think I’m obsessed!
Edit: Are you supposed to boil the shells before using? I didn’t boil the ones I put in there last night but I did rinse them in saltwater. I was scared to ruin them.

Sent from my iPhoneX using Tapatalk
Yes, boiling for 5 minutes is recommended.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

AgentK25

Post by AgentK25 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:15 pm

Yes, it's a good idea to boil the shells before you use them, but don't stress about the ones you didn't boil. Just be sure to do it from now on. Before I found this site, I never boiled my shells, and my guys have been fine. I do it now, though, cuz who wants to take chances?

It can be normal for some crabbies to shell swap a lot. Some are just real fashionistas. :wink: I have two that are that way. My oldest guy, a 25 year old jumbo named Agent K, and one of my small crabs. The small guy (Green, for now due to the color of the painted shell he came to me wearing) swapped shells at least a dozen times before going down to molt. I think sometimes they are so excited to see shells that fit, aren't painted, and are the right size, that they just can't decide which one they like best until they try them all!

ETA: don't forget to take the painted shells out of there as soon as you can so there's no chance for someone to pick it back up. Most won't pick a painted shell, but you never know.
Devoted Mom to 1 macaw, 1 cat, and 9 PPs

Topic author
RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:23 pm

Thank you so much! I haven’t taken them out yet because I didn’t feel like I had enough. I do have enough for my bigger ones now, so I could take the bigger ones out. The flame colored shell no one has touched since Rod moved out of it so it’s probably safe to take away.

♡Rod ♡Salty ♡Bubbles(Bob)♡Squirt ♡Crabina(Peanut)♡
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers »-♡->

hprmom

Post by hprmom » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:07 pm

Yay! So exciting! I remember when our first two got a choice of unpainted shells for the first time. Every time we add new shells it's like Black Friday sale in the shell shop. :lol: You might find they have particular habits around shell swapping, too! One of our big guys used to chase everyone out of the shop until he was done. Another would stick his butt in a new shell while hanging on to his old one with his legs so no one would take it while he made up his mind! Enjoy watching your crabbies enjoy their new shells!