I've been told I should post my crabs here!

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

Topic author
TiMeJ34nD1T

I've been told I should post my crabs here!

Post by TiMeJ34nD1T » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:38 am

Hey y'all,time to introduce myself!
Let's just call me... Time for the sake of ease.

I own 24 crabs in total. 7 Coenobita Perlatus, 2 C.Lila, 3 C.Rugosus, 2 C.Violascens and 10 unknown C.Spec. I keep them all in one crabitat which is about 768 liters or ~200 gallons. They have 54 liter/~14 gallon pools for both fresh and saltwater and 30cm/12inch deep substrate! I've kept them in that enclosure for nearly a year now without any problems and I already have plans for their next one!

Some might have seen my pictures on Reddit as I am fairly active in the Hermitcrab group.
I've been told I should share my pictures with this forum as they'd be greatly appreciated, so here we go!
I am very sorry about any formatting errors and I am open for any tips! And obviously I just hope it works out the way I plan it to.

Alright, let's see if this works!
Let's start off with one of my biggest Perlatus/Strawberries that I also kept the longest, 3 years in total now. He went through a rough time crabitat wise but I hope he is as happy as he could be today!

My Lilas have been sold as Purpureus, I'd say that was simply down to the reseller not knowing the difference. Or maybe it has been misidentified several times? Anyway, here he is as the king of the skull!

(Oh yeah, the preview looks like it's working as intended!)

Here are two of the unidentified Coenobita Species, would love some input on what they actually are!

And I obviously can't talk about my crabitat without posting pictures of that as well, so here we go.
For those wondering, yes they are real plants. Yes I am aware of the risks. But I have kept them with plants for nearly a year now and hadn't had any problems at all. They have a varying diet so they probably won't even bother eating from the plants. They love hiding under them and are much more confident in the crabitat since I added them as they know they have easy cover.

That should be it for my first post here and I hope I did things right and you can enjoy it!

Greetings, Time.
Owner of 24 crabs in 200 gallons. 7 C.Perlatus, 2 C.Lila, 3 C. Rugosus, 12 unidentified C.Species
Started only 3 years ago and already hooked.

Maddamay32

Re: I've been told I should post my crabs here!

Post by Maddamay32 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:23 am

Wow! So impressive, everythings so beautiful, crabs included! You must have a lot of experience in building tanks, no? Do you have any more pics of deeper in the tank, or close ups of what all you've put into it?

I love that the 2 unidentified crabs are in shells that match them, how'd you make that happen?

Sent from my cp3705AS using Tapatalk

8 crabs at the moment "Tarzan, Kermit, Shy guy, Eduardo, Jimbo, Rosa, Diesel, Treaker"

Topic author
TiMeJ34nD1T

Post by TiMeJ34nD1T » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:54 am

Maddamay32 wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:23 am
Wow! So impressive, everythings so beautiful, crabs included! You must have a lot of experience in building tanks, no? Do you have any more pics of deeper in the tank, or close ups of what all you've put into it?

I love that the 2 unidentified crabs are in shells that match them, how'd you make that happen? Image

Sent from my cp3705AS using Tapatalk
That was actually the first enclosure that I built them, I made them a custom background in their old enclosure
But let's not lie here, that is not a good looking enclosure in hindsight lol. :D
Trying to get the pictures somewhat in order here:

For a quick rundown on the plants:
I have ficus pumila, ficus pumila bellus, asplenium crispy, tillandsias, nephrolepsis in the aquarium, syngonium, philodendron, chamaedora and lots of moss. I've also had a spiderplant in there that was thriving so much that I had to take it out, now my grandma enjoys it lol.

The two unspecified really chose their shells well, didn't they?
Owner of 24 crabs in 200 gallons. 7 C.Perlatus, 2 C.Lila, 3 C. Rugosus, 12 unidentified C.Species

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:01 am

Wow, that's huge! Is the space in the middle (under the layer of shells) all substrate for digging? With the pools at each side?
Do you ever see them swimming?
Sorry for all the questions, just curious!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:35 am

Everything and every crab is absolutely beautiful! Wow! Amazing :D
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:29 am

Wow!
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
TiMeJ34nD1T

Post by TiMeJ34nD1T » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:18 pm

I don't know how to reply to each one yet (maybe I can't?) so: Thank you very much! Yes, the space in the middle is all substrate (30+cm/12+inches) of cocofiber/ecoearth/sand mix topped off with eco earth because it looks nicer, there is a mesh with clayballs underneath all that as drainagein case I overwater (the whole box is lined with pool liner so it is waterproof). I've seen some of them swim, others just dip their legs in there to fill up. The Lila is underwater on a regular basis, usually swimming around for 10-15 minutes. They're at the saltwater a lot more often than at the freshwater, but thanks to the duckweed I can usually tell which crab went swimming as it sticks to the shell lol.

Xenpurgisn@cht

Post by Xenpurgisn@cht » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:29 pm

Nearly 10/10 Any blueberry listing that claims to be a blueberry is either going to be a Lila, or a Viola, primarly lilas as they are super similar although they have a few differences ( with being more purple on average too. ) True blueberries are banned from export entirely and are considered national treasures, such as how the bald eagle is in the US. For 10 years now they've basically been impossible to get from Japan, similar to how Aussies are practically only exclusive to Australia.

Topic author
TiMeJ34nD1T

Post by TiMeJ34nD1T » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:52 pm

Yeah that's what I learned as well, so Spizam and I figured that they were probably Lilas. I don't mind as they are still nicely purple lol. They were super pale when I got them, now that the first has molted he is getting nice and purple. Can't wait for the other to be done (2 months underground now).

Already wrote the reseller as well that they are probably selling Lila and not Purpureus as those are, as you said, banned from export. Haven't received an answer yet...

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:05 pm

Thanks for the answers! Very cool!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

jbjwanted

Post by jbjwanted » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:45 pm

Wow!! This is definitely something to strive for!! I’m hoping that the next place I live has room for such a big & beautiful Crabitat!! My 3 Hermies are currently in a 10 gallon tank, but if all goes well & we get out of this extra small house, I would totally love to have something bigger with more crabs one day!!!

Beautiful!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
TiMeJ34nD1T

Post by TiMeJ34nD1T » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:40 pm

Since you asked about whether or not they swim, here's the Lila talking a swim as I mentioned above.
Edit: don't mind the diatom algae, since I am not using a protein skimmer (yet) nutrients build up and well, algae blooms...

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:03 pm

Oooo, that's so cute!!

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:52 pm

Beautiful setup, i absolutely love how it was constructed.
I had a massive feeling when seeing the images that you were from the EU, as plywood (or wooden) builds seem to be increadibly popular over there!

Beautiful tank and gorgeous crabbies!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:10 pm

Wow. What a gorgeous setup! I'm seriously blown away. Are those water pools 5 gallon tanks?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk