Lonely Crabby got friends but aren’t so friendly and cool colors on the big guy.

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

Topic author
Links

Lonely Crabby got friends but aren’t so friendly and cool colors on the big guy.

Post by Links » Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:20 am

So I’ve been restraining myself on getting Crabby some new friends from a pet store. I don’t want to support that. So I’ve been searching to adopt and turns out many of my daughters friends went to the gulf this summer. And they know about her “my” crabs lol. One of her friends decided to get three from a beach store and then decided they wanted to give them to us. So now we have 4 crabs in a 55 gal. These are extremely active from the moment I saw them. They range in sizes from med/large (golf ball) named flyride, to medium/small maybe named cupcake, to small named Trump. Not sure why that name. Oh well. He’s the smallest and Crabby pushed him around at first. Crabby also stood up to flyride but flyride just pushed Crabby out of his way. So far nothing too aggressive besides Crabby flipping over trump but then walking away. They all love the wheel and sometimes share it. I’ve seen three in/on it simultaneously. Although Flyride has been hogging it and I haven’t seen trump on it yet. Cupcake is the only one I’m not sure of the gender. Hopefully it’s female. 3 males and one female in a 55. Will that be ok? And the pushing and shoving seems a little less aggressive as the days go by. The first two friends I got for Crabby never showed aggression. Maybe they never felt good and were in bad health. They both passed. Anyway thanks for reading and check out flyride colors. Although, he does seem to have broken antenna. From above he looks very purple. I thought bubblegum for a name but it’s flyrideImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Lonely Crabby got friends but aren’t so friendly and cool colors on the big guy.

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:48 pm

Congratulations on your new crabs! The crabs are going to have to establish the new chain of command in the tank - so as long as there is not any chirping or shell jacking, you should be fine :) Pretty colors on the one! :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

CrabbyLover77

Re: Lonely Crabby got friends but aren’t so friendly and cool colors on the big guy.

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:48 am

Maybe Crabby didn't like Trump's name? Haha j/k!
Great pics and a very cute crabby. Congrats on the rescues!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

Topic author
Links

Post by Links » Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:35 am

Thanks GB for settling my nerves a bit. Things do seem to be settling a bit. I guess Crabby didn’t like the intruders at first.

Funny CL77 , I’ll call him little T. Lol. And there’s no one smaller for him to pick on.

Darn it! Now I feel like I need a bigger tank! At least a 75g but that’s only 5 inches wider than a 55. Hmmmm possible custom build in the future 🤔

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:51 am

Links wrote:Thanks GB for settling my nerves a bit. Things do seem to be settling a bit. I guess Crabby didn’t like the intruders at first.

Funny CL77 , I’ll call him little T. Lol. And there’s no one smaller for him to pick on.

Darn it! Now I feel like I need a bigger tank! At least a 75g but that’s only 5 inches wider than a 55. Hmmmm possible custom build in the future Image
Little T, I like it haha!

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-

Topic author
Links

Post by Links » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:50 pm

I’d Just like to give an update.

All these new crabs are still alive and seem ok. I think they’ve all molted now but maybe except one, cupcake. I finally caught her in a position which allowed me to see her gonopores (spelling) so I know she female.

There also seems to be less aggression compared to the first few weeks after adding the new guys. I only see them holding out a leg when they eat to try to keep others away.

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:52 pm

Links wrote:I’d Just like to give an update.

All these new crabs are still alive and seem ok. I think they’ve all molted now but maybe except one, cupcake. I finally caught her in a position which allowed me to see her gonopores (spelling) so I know she female.

There also seems to be less aggression compared to the first few weeks after adding the new guys. I only see them holding out a leg when they eat to try to keep others away.
Good to hear!
Love the name cupcake.
I hope Little T wasn't too disappointed with the debate last night LOL.

Topic author
Links

Post by Links » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:55 pm

CrabbyLover77 wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:52 pm
Good to hear!
Love the name cupcake.
I hope Little T wasn't too disappointed with the debate last night LOL.

Funny but we have to be careful here as I don’t think we can discuss politics or religion.

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:56 pm

Links wrote: Funny but we have to be careful here as I don’t think we can discuss politics or religion.
No worries, I wasn't going to go any further. Gonna keep it all crabby friendly. Image

Topic author
Links

Post by Links » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:15 pm

I know my crabs name induced it. Lol. But oh boy there’s some funny stuff flying around.

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:19 pm

Links wrote:I know my crabs name induced it. Lol. But oh boy there’s some funny stuff flying around.
I know, I couldn't help myself, sorry about that. Image But it really is great to hear all the crabbies are getting along. I always worry about that every time I add a new friend to the bunch.